Darjeeling Himalayan Railway - Coaches

Scottish Modeller

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

OK - First attempt at putting the Red and Cream livery on what I hope is the right style of coach!

I only have the one 3/4 shot down the length of a train with these coaches - that's why I'm not sure it is even the right type of coach!

As a result of this I don't have the numbers of any of the coaches either - I've not given it a number.

Thoughts, comments etc - As usual - all welcome.

Thanks

*** Edited to remove coach drawing***

This is withdrawn pending amendment.

Edited by Scottish Modeller

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

OK - First attempt at putting the Blue and Cream livery onto a body.

At least I know I have the correct coach type for this one!

I have several photos showing this livery - same livery on different coach types to follow.

As usual - Please feel free to add comment, suggestions etc

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

To continue the theme....

Another of the Blue & Cream coaches.

This one is also on a correct body type.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

There are people in India asking me about these drawings for making the coaches in card!

Well chuffed - I certainly am......

However, a casual comment in a posting to me has opened up another bag of worms.

Is it correct that DHR at one point in the 1980's had Green or Green and Cream liveried coaches?

If that is confirmed - that will be another set of drawings to do.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

OK - Thanks to some assistance from India - things have progressed a bit further.

I now have 4 photos showing the Red and Cream Coaches and 1 photo showing the green and cream ones.

It turns out that I was making progress with the red and cream ones along the right lines!

So far then....

The drawing of the Red and Cream coach shown above has used the correct type of coach (Yes!) the other 2 I was working on have used the wrong coach type (Boo!).

However, the work has not gone to waste!

Thoughts, comments etc - as usual all welcome.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

HI all,

As previous posting stated - the work I had done on the wrong body type for the red and cream has not gone to waste!

A bit of messing about has enabled me to add another type of coach to the DHR Blue range.

More on that later - once I tidy it up.

In the meantime....

Time for something on the Green and Cream Coaches.

That turned out not to be green and cream at all!

With only having one photo to work from I decided that the green was not the green I had expected and the cream was , shall we say, just not cream at all!

After a spell of colour comparison and shade matching I decided to try the colours that I found to be the nearest to those in the photo.

The grean turned out to be an almost perfect match for the first West Yorkshire Metro Green and the cream turned out to be almost a perfect match for British Rail coach Grey.

So - here you go - have a look and, for those with more knowledge, tell me what you think of this first coach I have done.

I am already working on the other 2 coach types I can see n the photo I have and will put them up here once they are done.

Edit - I now know that there was also a Green and Cream livery on the coaches!

So far I've only found one, ver, very small image that shows this. It's so small that as soon as I try to make it big enough to even get some sort of coach details it goes all pixilated.

Not good - But at least I have filled a gap in my DHR historical knowledge!

I wish I could afford to buy that wonderful Terry Martin book - but the price is far to steep for my pocket.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

HI all,

An appeal for help....

This image is the only one I can find showing the DHR Green and Cream liveried coaches.

post-6887-0-88212100-1465078665.jpg

Photo © Dr. K.J. Walker (www.dhrsa.org.au)

I've found this by using the Internet Wayback Machine which, as usual, gives only a few details about the image.

It was saved by the archive machine back in 2003.

The notes with it are limited 

The DHRSA weblink takes me to nowhere - looks like the site linked has been left dormant for some time.

The link on the main DHR Society links pages also take me to a dead place.

So - anyone any idea if there is a new site for DHRSA that I have yet to find?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I've fallen into a bed of thorns.....

Nice though they are, DHR coaches their origins and history is that place!

I thought I had found a logical path through the maze that this is - but no, it ended up as a false trail.

Anyway......

What had I worked out and what have I had confirmed?

It appears that most of the current DHR coaches are a mixture of new build, rebuilt and refurbished stock from a variety of dates.

Sorting out the date line is the easier bit.

Sorting out which coach is/was from which batch is the problem.

Then we come to the rebuilds or are they rebuilds?

Certainly at least one of the coaches I have to model was built, then refurbished and then rebuilt using it's original chassis!

Talk about confusion.

Looking at current existing stock first.

The oldest coach appears to be from 1917 - Coach no 124 Himalayan Princess

However, Coach 93 - currently at Ghum Museum, may date from earlier - or parts of it might!

Next oldest dates from 1943 and is Coach No F14 Everest.

There then appears to be a large gap in the time line - all the way to 1967/68 when the 14 coaches accredited to Gorakhpur but now thought to be actually from Perambur workshops appeared. These appear to all have been delivered in the Blue/White livery. which some still carried in the early 1980's. 

Even this is not as simple as it appears as 1 coach from this batch was rebuilt to Dining Car specification at Motibagh workshops.

Which coach is this though?

Then - also from this batch - there are the 2 coaches that were rebuilt by Marksman of Siliguri - Coach nos 26 and 27.

Following the time line on takes us to 1989/90 when the batch of 16 coaches built at Jodhpur came to the line.

I thought this one would be simple, guess what? - It's not.

From this batch 2 coaches were rebuilt at Kalka but which ones?

Keeping on with the time line brings us to 2000/1/4 with the arrival of a batch of 5 coaches built at Kalka

Also at this point in the time line a batch of 6 Air Braked coaches came from Mysore! 

Of this batch , 3 coaches were new and 3 were rebuilds.

Looking at the information available it appears that the 3 rebuilt coaches were taken from the batch built at Gorakhpur-Perambur workshops.

But which ones? Looking at the numbers give a clue for one of them - Coach 71A as Coach 71 was from that batch. Which are the others?

Then, in 2006/7 - bringing the time line as far as I can, (so far) there was a batch of 5 Air Braked coaches from Kurdavadi workshops.

What a can of worms this has turned out to be!

Tying down the coach numbers to the batches as supplied is proving very difficult.

In the earlier parts of this thread I referred to various colour schemes.

Green/White (1997?)

Green/Cream (Late 1980's?)

Blue/White (early 1980's?)

Blue/Cream (modern)

Brick Red/Cream (1997/98)

Plain Blue (Heritage? 1980's on)

Modern Blue (Capri Blue)

What hope have I of confirming which coaches carried the various liveries over time!

So - does anyone have more on this subject and, if so, would they please contribute it?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Long time with no action on this topic!

Anyway, action is now restored and some progress has been made but needs to documented.

First though - a request.....

If you downloaded my drawings of thany of the coaches I did - can you send copy to me by pm - not on the thread!

The drawings were removed as someone (not from this Forum) had downloaded the files and was trying to sell them on as 'Kits for DHR coaches'. I was so affected by this that I didn't just deletye them from on here but from my pc as well (daft moment).

That situation has now been resolved and I've decided to carry on where I left off before.

Thanks

Phil H

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

The sleeping giant awakes!

Back on the DHR builds again - coaches, wagons and an A Class locomotive.

Since my last postings there have been a lot of developments in models available for the DHR in 009 - so much stuff that I could write a full article if I wanted to!

So, where to start?

Coaches.....

New from PMW - made in India.

Luggage/Brake

2nd Class

1st Class AC 

Thanks

Phil H

Precision Models - 1st Class AC - 3.JPG

Precision Models - 1st Class AC - 4.JPG

Precision Models - 2nd Class - 2.JPG

Precision Models - 2nd Class - 3.JPG