Minerva Victory 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive

81A Oldoak

When I repainted my Hudswell Clarke, I used Tamiya light grey primer.

Thanks for that Martin. Was this in a rattle-can? Can I ask, did it go on flat and even? Have you got a photo of the finished paint job that you can post?

Chaz

Guest Isambarduk

I have a Minerva Victory in "red". … Do I need to use a primer on the surface before I add the topcoats? If yes, what primer would you recommend? Would an undercoat over the primer be a good move? No guesses please, I would prefer to hear from someone who has done a similar paint job.

Chaz, I was actually working on painting my much modified Victory today, and I have resprayed a much modified Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST by Ixion Model Railways.  As you may see on my write-up of reworking the Victory, it comes apart completely with a little effort, which makes painting and lining much easier. There is no need for a primer and for LSWR Holly Green I would use a dark grey undercoat to cover the red - I am spraying my Victory in two-tone green (actually mid green, lined white-black-white and edged in dark green) with Precision and Humbrol without an undercoat but it's straight onto the black plastic.   David

GCR278-Humber-3-4-RHS.jpg

Edited by Isambarduk

Thanks for that Martin. Was this in a rattle-can? Can I ask, did it go on flat and even? Have you got a photo of the finished paint job that you can post?

Chaz

Chaz,

I used Halfords grey aerosol primer on before applying the final colour (acrylic with airbrush) to my granddaughter's Ixion Hudswell Clarke. The original livery was lined Forest Green and the lilac was quite transluscent, but the result is very pleasing, as I'm sure any art teacher would agree.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-09185400-1528093252_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Chaz, I was actually working on painting my much modified Victory today, and I have resprayed a much modified Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST by Ixion Model Railways.  As you may see on my write-up of reworking the Victory, it comes apart completely with a little effort, which makes painting and lining much easier. There is no need for a primer and for LSWR Holly Green I would use a dark grey undercoat to cover the red - I am spraying my Victory in two-tone green (actually mid green, lined white-black-white and edged in dark green) with Precision and Humbrol without an undercoat but it's straight onto the black plastic.   David

GCR278-Humber-3-4-RHS.jpg

Thanks David. Helpful, detailed advice for which I am grateful.

Chaz

• Like 1

Chaz,

I used Halfords grey aerosol primer on before applying the final colour (acrylic with airbrush) to my granddaughter's Ixion Hudswell Clarke. The original livery was lined Forest Green and the lilac was quite transluscent, but the result is very pleasing, as I'm sure any art teacher would agree.

Regards,

Chris

As an ex-art teacher I am, of course, free to agree or not as the whim takes. Or indeed shout to anyone nearby "Pass me a sick-bag!". Thanks for the ideas on process though.

Chaz

• 1 year later...

I’m really not quite sure the lilac is my thing...

I do wonder whether the GW would have had quite the following, had Mr Dean chosen Vivid Lilac in place of Deep Bronze Green.  

We we shall never know...

Season’s Greetings!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 11 months later...

The gwr victory?

Should the green be same gwr green as on other period gwr tank engines

I've just got one of these and the

" green" is almost black!

I'm not fussed on it but if that's how they were?

Thinking a fairly clean engine / noting over hauled for my layout.

I would expect the green to be GW standard, but the tolerance on that standard was pretty wide, and depending on how the loco was painted, it would darken more or less quickly in service.

put your transfers on, and don’t worry!

Merry Christmas

Simon

On 25/12/2020 at 00:44, Piemanlarger said:

Ok so I should have taken it outside first time!

Its black with great western on it?

Not happy with the sound chip either !!

20201224_114140.jpg

What is it about the sound chip that you are not happy about?

• 1 year later...

I know it's a year since anyone has posted here, but does anyone know how the crankpins are held in to the wheels? My Victory has one that isn't all the way in on one of the leading wheels that collides enough with the valve gear while running to bring the whole model to a stop, gave me a huge fright the first time as it stopped dead and the sound went in to full speed chuffing.

• 1 year later...