81A Oldoak

Minerva Victory 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive

When I repainted my Hudswell Clarke, I used Tamiya light grey primer.

Thanks for that Martin. Was this in a rattle-can? Can I ask, did it go on flat and even? Have you got a photo of the finished paint job that you can post?

Chaz

I have a Minerva Victory in "red". … Do I need to use a primer on the surface before I add the topcoats? If yes, what primer would you recommend? Would an undercoat over the primer be a good move? No guesses please, I would prefer to hear from someone who has done a similar paint job.

Chaz, I was actually working on painting my much modified Victory today, and I have resprayed a much modified Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST by Ixion Model Railways.  As you may see on my write-up of reworking the Victory, it comes apart completely with a little effort, which makes painting and lining much easier. There is no need for a primer and for LSWR Holly Green I would use a dark grey undercoat to cover the red - I am spraying my Victory in two-tone green (actually mid green, lined white-black-white and edged in dark green) with Precision and Humbrol without an undercoat but it's straight onto the black plastic.   David

GCR278-Humber-3-4-RHS.jpg

Edited by Isambarduk

Thanks for that Martin. Was this in a rattle-can? Can I ask, did it go on flat and even? Have you got a photo of the finished paint job that you can post?

Chaz

Chaz,

I used Halfords grey aerosol primer on before applying the final colour (acrylic with airbrush) to my granddaughter's Ixion Hudswell Clarke. The original livery was lined Forest Green and the lilac was quite transluscent, but the result is very pleasing, as I'm sure any art teacher would agree.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-09185400-1528093252_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Chaz, I was actually working on painting my much modified Victory today, and I have resprayed a much modified Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST by Ixion Model Railways.  As you may see on my write-up of reworking the Victory, it comes apart completely with a little effort, which makes painting and lining much easier. There is no need for a primer and for LSWR Holly Green I would use a dark grey undercoat to cover the red - I am spraying my Victory in two-tone green (actually mid green, lined white-black-white and edged in dark green) with Precision and Humbrol without an undercoat but it's straight onto the black plastic.   David

GCR278-Humber-3-4-RHS.jpg

Thanks David. Helpful, detailed advice for which I am grateful.

Chaz

• Like 1

Chaz,

I used Halfords grey aerosol primer on before applying the final colour (acrylic with airbrush) to my granddaughter's Ixion Hudswell Clarke. The original livery was lined Forest Green and the lilac was quite transluscent, but the result is very pleasing, as I'm sure any art teacher would agree.

Regards,

Chris

As an ex-art teacher I am, of course, free to agree or not as the whim takes. Or indeed shout to anyone nearby "Pass me a sick-bag!". Thanks for the ideas on process though.

Chaz

I’m really not quite sure the lilac is my thing...

I do wonder whether the GW would have had quite the following, had Mr Dean chosen Vivid Lilac in place of Deep Bronze Green.  

We we shall never know...

Season’s Greetings!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1