Minerva Victory 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive

81A Oldoak

Seven of the locomotives ended up in service with the National Coal Board with the last examples being scrapped in 1969. None have survived.

One loco lasted slightly later than 1969, although in a derelict condition.  I photographed Kerr Stuart 3066 the first loco of the class in the derelict wagon repair shop at NCB Aberaman, South Wales in August 1970.

It was still there in July 1971 but, according to the Industrial Railway Society's Mid & South Glamorgan Handbook, it had gone by  May 1972 - presumably scrapped.  This loco had the higher cab roof like KS 3067 which leads me to believe that these first two locos were built in that form.  3066 also acquired a rather ugly replacement chimney.  

Edited by PGH

One loco lasted slightly later than 1969, although in a derelict condition.  I photographed Kerr Stuart 3066 the first loco of the class in the derelict wagon repair shop at NCB Aberaman, South Wales in August 1970.

attachicon.gif11827B.jpg

It was still there in July 1971 when I took some measurements for a proposed model of KS 3068 but, according to the Industrial Railway Society's Mid & South Glamorgan Handbook, it had gone by  May 1972 - presumably scrapped.  This loco had the higher cab roof like KS 3067 which leads me to believe that these first two locos were built in that form.  3066 also acquired a rather ugly replacement chimney.  

Thank you for posting this photograph. We have seen it before as it has come up on internet searches. We have also seen some close-up shots of the cab and the safety valves that appear to be the same locomotive at the same time. We will be avoiding the replacement chimney!

Regards,

Looks good, but not sure if I want green or black. Will you have engineering samples of each before the pre-ordering deadline?

We hope to the first engineering prototype by the end of May. 2nd prototypes with decoration should be ready for Telford or before if all goes well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The revised Minerva website is now up and running, and you can download order forms for the Victory from it.

We are nearly there for on-line ordering, which will be quicker and save you a lot of hassle, so hopefully in a couple of days, all the i's will be dotted and the t's crossed.

Just a reminder that the £20 discount and free postage offer is open until the 5th September for Victory, and we will have plenty of forms at the following shows, if you are planning to visit.

16th April           Newport 0 Gauge at the Lysaght's building

7th May             Larger Scale ALSRM show at Rivermead, Reading

28th/29th May   Railex, Aylesbury

4th June            Gauge 0 Guild, Doncaster

13th/14th Aug   Railwells, Wells Town Hall

3rd/4th Sept     Gauge 0 Guild, Telford

Then after the discount has finished

8th October     West Wales 0 gauge, Carmarthen

3rd December, Guildford Trade Show, Rivermead, Reading

Edited by mountaingoat

• 4 weeks later...

We have just received the first shots from the main tools for Victory, and now I have finished being very impressed, will have the part finished model at the ALSRM show at Reading this Saturday.

Chris K will then have them for his studio shoot, and, all being well, we should have the first photographs to post early next week.

Hopefully see you at Reading

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I would definitely go for one (or maybe more) in 00, I have rather liked the prototype ever since I first saw one in a Railway Modeller article dated around 1966/67.

They look really useful engines (to coin a phrase), it's a real shame none survived.

The first factory test shots of the Minerva 0 gauge RTR Kerr Stuart Victory class 0-6-0T were on display at the Reading ALSRM show today. It is a heavy beast with the footplate and buffer beams integrally cast with the chassis. The chassis is covered with moulded plastic overlays for enhanced detail and the chassis keeper plate includes integrally moulded leaf springs. We hope to have the first fully working engineering prototype soon.

A discounted price is being offered for locos ordered before the end of Guldex at Telford. The order form is available from: https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Order-form-Victory-1.pdf

We hope you are tempted.

Chris B & Chris K

post-13142-0-67654300-1462631639_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-15709100-1462631641_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-02965300-1462631643_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Very tempted by these. I'm assuming the DCC chips on the fitted examples are Loksound? Has any thought been given to using Zimo decoders - a better product in my own view.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Previous ones done through Paul at EDM were Zimo, http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Minerva/M1.html

Thanks Paul - now how did I miss that! I've looked at that page on a couple of occasions and just never seen the Zimo reference. Oops - ah well, better head to specsavers ... Again!!! Are EDM involved in doing the DCC for the new model?

Rich

Hi Chris,

Very tempted by these. I'm assuming the DCC chips on the fitted examples are Loksound? Has any thought been given to using Zimo decoders - a better product in my own view.

Rich

Rich,

We will be using ZIMO decoders.  The sound version will be the MX645R. The silent version will be the MX634R.

Regards,

Chris

The only problem with all these lovely RTR locos from the likes of Ixion, Minerva and Dapol are that I keep spending money on them that should really be going to getting the layout built!

Martin,

I shouldn't worry too much about this; I'm not. ;-)

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Rich,

We will be using ZIMO decoders.  The sound version will be the MX645R. The silent version will be the MX634R.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Think you've just sold one ... Maybe two! I'll be talking to you at Doncaster!

Rich