Minerva Victory 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive

81A Oldoak

Damn it...that looks so good...did they hold enough coal to get from South Wales to the Looe Valley Line? 

My proposed layout is going to have some very odd visiting stock if Minerva carries on like this!  :laugh:

Just remember Rule 1 of the hobby: They're your trains and you do with them what you like!

Had I been adding to a 7mm wish-list (usually a pointless exercise) I might well have opted for a six-coupled industrial with outside cylinders, preferably NOT a saddle tank (for variety).

Now I have a Manning Wardle, a Hudswell Clarke, a Peckett (kit built) and a Fowler diesel.  Does Dock Green need another industrial? Of course not! Do I want one? Of course!

Will it run well? Of course it will - all the other Ixions do.

No contest then. DCC and sound? De Rigeur!

Will it be available before the Dapol 08?........silly question

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 1

I have run little 0-4-0s like the Peckett around 24" radius curves. Not sure that anything could remained coupled though!

From similar machines, the Kerr Stuart should be able to just manage a 36" curve. Of course, we won't know until the production versions are available for testing.

The production specification for the Peckett and Victory required both locos to traverse a 36" radius curve, which is a challenge for a finescale loco with outside cylinders trying to get sufficient sideplay without fouling the crossheads.  It is possible to persuade the Peckett around a 24" radius curve, but it has a long overhang. 

• Like 1

Hmmm the brute is growing on me. Plus I'm rather partial to Kerr Stuart's.

Are there any details yet to what spec the DCC and sound fitted versions will have? Will it be akin to the Peckett, or say the Ixion Fowler with keep alive etc.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew,

For DCC running Minerva will be using ZIMO decoders supplied directly from the manufacturer. The DCC silent mode will be fitted with the ZIMO MX634R with a NEM652 8-pin plug. It is rated to 1.2A with a peak of 2.5A and has six function outputs. The Minerva model will not be fitted with a "Stay-Alive" capacitor, but the decoder contains all of the necessary circuitry from which two wires emerge and to which a capacitor can be directly attached.

The DCC sound mode will be fitted with the ZIMO MX645R with a NEM652 8-pin plug. It is rated to 1.2A with a peak of 2.5A and has 10 function outputs. The Minerva model will not be fitted with a "Stay-Alive" capacitor, but the decoder contains all of the necessary circuitry from which two wires emerge and to which a capacitor can be directly attached. The sound project is being compiled by Paul Chetter and the decoders will be charged at the ZIMO factory in Vienna.

We will investigate options for fitting an energy storage facility, but this will be at extra cost.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Chris K

• RMweb Gold

The prototype Victory in action on Chris klein's Cwm Bach layout:

Chris, this looks superb!  Can't wait until mine arrives later this year!  Still trying to work out if it should have a stablemate :)

Andrew,

For DCC running Minerva will be using ZIMO decoders supplied directly from the manufacturer. The DCC silent mode will be fitted with the ZIMO MX634R with a NEM652 8-pin plug. It is rated to 1.2A with a peak of 2.5A and has six function outputs. The Minerva model will not be fitted with a "Stay-Alive" capacitor, but the decoder contains all of the necessary circuitry from which two wires emerge and to which a capacitor can be directly attached.

The DCC sound mode will be fitted with the ZIMO MX645R with a NEM652 8-pin plug. It is rated to 1.2A with a peak of 2.5A and has 10 function outputs. The Minerva model will not be fitted with a "Stay-Alive" capacitor, but the decoder contains all of the necessary circuitry from which two wires emerge and to which a capacitor can be directly attached. The sound project is being compiled by Paul Chetter and the decoders will be charged at the ZIMO factory in Vienna.

We will investigate options for fitting an energy storage facicility, but this will be at extra cost.

Thats good to hear.  Appreciate its extra cost, but I think given that a lot of these models will spend their time shunting, that the stay alive option would be useful.  Having said that, its not difficult to fit a capacitor, and presumably the body is easy to remove?

Well done - keep up the good work!

Rich

• 1 month later...

We have received draft artwork for the Victory's livery schemes and the green and red versions are attached. The third version is unlined black. The lining on the cylinders of the green version needs to be corrected to be black-white-black. Note that the shades in the illustrations are not a precise rendition of how the final colours will appear. Samples are expected to be delivered next month and will be on display at Guildex at Telford on 3rd-4th September 2016.  Don't forget that there is a discounted price for locos ordered before 5th September 2016. Here is a link to the order form: https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Order-form-Victory-1.pdf

post-13142-0-10988500-1469172556_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-36121900-1469172562_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-71454100-1469172569_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-95283600-1469172575_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I believe that Chris and Chris both said that the model as it stands is different to the version used on the GWR as this had square cornered tanks, rather than the rounded versions on the model.

There was talk of an etched overlay if there was demand I believe.

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

Would the model be a close enough match to this loco ?

From my experience with reworking Ixion models (see www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htm but also www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GWR_Fowler.htm) this would be an ideal candidate for a conversion to something a little different.  I had not decided what my example will suffer in due course but you have got me thinking now!   David