Minerva Victory 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive

81A Oldoak

IIRC the crest read "National Coal Board North Western Area".  I can't find a close up photo on the net or think of a preserved loco that still carries it.  I guess it's just a case of going through the various books on industrial locos until you find a close up. Thanks for link to PGH's thread - I'd forgotten about that.

Ray.

• Like 1

Hi

I am looking for suggestions for a suitable sound decoder.

Any advice to make it sound as authentic as possible, perhaps a J94?

Norman

Norman,

We have commissioned a bespoke sound project for the Victory from Paul Chetter using the ZIMO MX645R sound decoder. Our priority is to fit the Victories ordered with sound, but we will be able to supply the decoder as a separate item in due course.

Regards,

Chris

Will this do?  I can't be sure whether the letters were cream or yellow and have no idea about the other colours - maybe the College of Heraldry or whatever it is called have something.  If you do decide to get transfers made I'd be interested in a pair.

Cheers,

Ray.

post-23517-0-82740500-1480763156.jpg

Thanks for your digging Ray, that does look very like what's in the photos I've got. As to commissioning some transfers I'd be a long way from that, I'm mainly seeing if a can gather some details and photos of those Victorys which ended up in NCB service to find a likely contender for a repaint at some future date. I do like the idea of a crest though ! Has anyone tried commissioning industrial transfers before with any success and where from ? I've had a quick look for any that exist and have drawn a blank, anyone with better luck ? If someone else would like to go forward with the idea I'd have a pair myself as I've got a lot on my plate before getting that far for some time.

Sources for industrial nameplates ? Obviously 'Francis' would be a help for those going down the NCB route. Any ideas out there ? A bit of a novice in this scale/ interest myself I'm afraid.

John

Thanks for your digging Ray, that does look very like what's in the photos I've got. As to commissioning some transfers I'd be a long way from that, I'm mainly seeing if a can gather some details and photos of those Victorys which ended up in NCB service to find a likely contender for a repaint at some future date. I do like the idea of a crest though ! Has anyone tried commissioning industrial transfers before with any success and where from ? I've had a quick look for any that exist and have drawn a blank, anyone with better luck ? If someone else would like to go forward with the idea I'd have a pair myself as I've got a lot on my plate before getting that far for some time.

Sources for industrial nameplates ? Obviously 'Francis' would be a help for those going down the NCB route. Any ideas out there ? A bit of a novice in this scale/ interest myself I'm afraid.

John

John,

Narrow Planet is an excellent source for custom etched nameplates at very keen prices. I have used this firm extensively for works, name and number plates. Click here: https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/collections/custom-etched-products

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

John,

Narrow Planet is an excellent source for custom etched nameplates at very keen prices. I have used this firm extensively for works, name and number plates. Click here: https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/collections/custom-etched-products

Regards,

Chris

Agreed.

Now my three industrial tank engines all have girls' names, "Susan", "Christine" and "Anna" although the latter plates have yet to be affixed to the Ixion Manning Wardle I have. So what should my "Victory" be called? I suppose "Victoria" would suit but reflecting on its size and power maybe "Brunehilda" might be more appropriate?  :nono:

Edited by chaz

John

John

I’m glad you’ve raised the question of NCB liveries on the NCB ‘Victory’ locos. My “what might have been” scenario and somewhat dubious justification for adding a ‘Victory’ to my fleet of ironstone locomotives was outlined on my Whiston & Cogenhoe thread ….

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110560-whiston-and-cogenhoe-quarries/page-2

I chose 3075 as it was ‘Rothervale No.8’ at United Steel and Coal Co. before that company’s mining and coking operations were split on the nationalisation of the coal industry in 1947. Instead of being scrapped in 1956, my alternative history assumes it was transferred to Bagthorpe Colliery (fictional) before moving to Whiston & Cogenhoe ironstone quarries in 1959.

I have also been trying to find out what colour the NCB ‘Victory’ locos might have been. I have seen ‘Francis’ in black before (probably on here) but can only assume that individual NCB areas or even individual collieries chose their own colour schemes? Industrial Railways in Colour – The North East’ includes a lot of NCB locos in a variety of colour schemes. Many seem to have either black or dark blue paintwork with red buffer beams and rods, some with red lining. Some even have fully lined blue paintwork (with cream or yellow lining). Dark red with yellow lining and bright yellow all over also featured. In some areas, green is the predominant colour. In the South Wales albums of the same series, green with red buffer beams and rods seem to be the most widely used colour although blue (light and dark) also features. Of course, in many cases, locos are covered in grime and it is very difficult to even guess what the colour is! In the Scotland album, green seems the commonest colour although dark blue and black also feature depending on the area/colliery. Of course, this is very limited research from a very small sample of colour photos and it would seem to be best to base the colour on your actual prototype. I just wish I knew the colour of ‘Rothervale No.8’!

Stephen

Mischievously put some pressfix early crests on the tanks of my black one, but unfortunately was out of zero's to number 30948.

Detail added, and it runs beautifully. Bachmann 555 decoder won't fit in firebox or over motor, but with cables stretched past flywheel fits easily in the smokebox.

Care required removing brake lever that drops from cab - this is an interference fit into a small hole to the side of the chassis. This is easily levered out before chassis is unscrewed.

It is a fine model.

N

I know it's probably too early but any time scale on the delivery of the sound versions of this great little loco?.

Thanks Duncan

I have just signed-off a final tweak to the sound project so the file can to go to ZIMO for charging the decoders. Delivery should start in the next two to three weeks. All of the DC advanced orders have been delivered.

Chris

Here are links to a couple of photos of the Victory in two different ROD liveries. We believe that base livery is black, but we don't know the colour of the lining. We have not been able to find any colour photos of the Victories in their original liveries.

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/dcb5f830f2994fb9887b47699fbc8e58/kerr-stuart-0-6-0t-locomotive-no608-with-the-rod-at-soquence-near-frxp50.jpg

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-kerr-stuart-0-6-0t-locomotive-no609-with-the-rod-at-soquence-near-100777073.html

• Like 2

Here are links to a couple of photos of the Victory in two different ROD liveries. We believe that base livery is black, but we don't know the colour of the lining. We have not been able to find any colour photos of the Victories in their original liveries.

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/dcb5f830f2994fb9887b47699fbc8e58/kerr-stuart-0-6-0t-locomotive-no608-with-the-rod-at-soquence-near-frxp50.jpg

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-kerr-stuart-0-6-0t-locomotive-no609-with-the-rod-at-soquence-near-100777073.html

Thanks for those Chris, now those are liveries you don't see every day being modelled do you ? Would be rather fitting to paint mine up in a livery based on these for 2018, a hundred years after WW1, my prospective modern day preserved railway model might well get a ROD ' Victory' its the kind of thing that might well happen in the preserved world.

Thanks for those Chris, now those are liveries you don't see every day being modelled do you ? Would be rather fitting to paint mine up in a livery based on these for 2018, a hundred years after WW1, my prospective modern day preserved railway model might well get a ROD ' Victory' its the kind of thing that might well happen in the preserved world.

Do post a photo if it happens.

• Like 1

I am starting to personalise the latest addition to the Cwm Bach colliery fleet. The wheels have been painted black and I have polished the superstructure with T-Cut. I have named her VICTORIA, which seems appropriate. The nameplate comes from the set of etched brass plates supplied with the Forest Green version of the Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST locomotive. More detail remains to be added and I don't think weathering will be excessive. She is fitted with a prototype version of the ZIMO sound decoder that will be supplied with DCC sound orders; Paul Chetter's sound project is excellent.

Stand by for further sitreps.

Chris

post-13142-0-08532400-1481146823_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-94764100-1481146824_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-81350300-1481146826_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I am starting to personalise the latest addition to the Cwm Bach colliery fleet. The wheels have been painted black and I have ……..

Did you not post a request for your preferred livery on this thread?

I'm led to believe the chaps at Minerva listen carefully to their customers, I'm sure they would have amended their red livery specification to accommodate your wishes had they only known!

Gentlemen,

As a recent convert to O Gauge, I have been delighted by all that has been released from Minerva and Ixion. I have ordered a black Victory tank with sound and hopefully, using modellers license, represent 30948 as if it had lasted until the early 1950s.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find any pictures of this ex East Kent loco at the time of its withdrawal (1948?). I am lead to believe that during the late 1930s it received a number of SECR style fittings following an overhaul at Ashford.

Can anybody tell me where/if any photos of this loco exist.

Phil

Thanks Ray,

KS 3068 in Google leads to this http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76110-moving-coal-a-colliery-layout-in-0-gauge/page-5.

Seems to be black till 64 then red, the model shows a simple to achieve livery, useful info. This rattled my brain and I remembered my copy of ' industrial steam album' Fox and King IA 1970 and on p 102. Are two photos of ' Francis ' one on shed and one side on ( ha!) when fitted with a Giesl ejector carrying a crest on the side of the cab and presumably in red. Now what's that crest ? The photo of an austerity on the following page also shows a similar crest ! More digging I think.

Whiston at the Foxfield Railway carries the same crest on her cabside, original transfers IIRC. Next time I'm there I will try and get a photo of one if I remember in between Santa duties....

post-8705-0-42518500-1481210382_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Here's a link to a photo of the cab showing the crest in better detail. https://www.flickr.com/photos/51827103@N00/14788996241/lightbox/

Edited by avonside1563
  • Like 4

Ta for that Nigel,

Would save me a trip up the A50, mind I do like going there !

John

It's likely to be Christmas Eve when I'm secondman on the diesel and Whiston will be in service. I may try on the 17th but I'm driving Bellerophon that day so may not have chance plus Whiston will be in the shed so not as accessible.