Invernevis based on Fort William in N Gauge

David41283

I hope everyone likes the photos. I am really pleased with how they've come out.

Once everything was set up and the layout lighting switched on, I stepped back and felt really satisfied (and relieved!) with how the layout looked overall. There are still a few bits more to do, details to add, areas to touch up etc.. but overall this is nearing completion. It is easy to forget the overall picture when you spend ages focused on small areas, so playing trains for the first time this evening was really enjoyable.

I need to make some legs - given the viewing "window" format the best viewing height is quite high. Certainly table height is too low. I also need to tidy up some of the electrics.

The most pressing thing now is to perfect manual uncoupling, the tools I've made so far proved better at removing stock from the track than uncoupling!

Cheers

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The pictures show off the layout to great effect. You have managed to capture the essence of the west highland line superbly. The station is instantly recognisable but, for me, the highlight is the way you have blended everything into an archetypical landscape.  

Can we assume that Inverness will be joining the exhibition circuit at some stage? I would love to see it in the flesh.

regards Rob

The pictures show off the layout to great effect. You have managed to capture the essence of the west highland line superbly. The station is instantly recognisable but, for me, the highlight is the way you have blended everything into an archetypical landscape.  

Can we assume that Inverness will be joining the exhibition circuit at some stage? I would love to see it in the flesh.

regards Rob

Thanks Rob.

Having done three exhibitions with Poldeen in the last couple of years, this one was certainly designed to be suitable for both home and exhibition use. However, not being a member of a club, the "circuit" can be somewhat hard to break into. I was planning to e-mail my few exhibition contacts once everything is ready to see if they'll have me back with a new layout.

Cheers

Great layout, beautifully executed. I had ambitions to do the same scene myself, even to the extend of adding a goods siding as you have, but I planned to do it as a mirror image.

Are the Dapol couplers working for you?.

Thanks - it is a great prototype, and gives plenty of operational interest with only 4 sidings.

I like the Dapol couplers, they look much better than the rapidos and allow you to fit more of the buffer beam details. They couple up nicely, without needing too much of a bump too. They uncouple reliably over the magnets, but for all the adjustments in the world I have never managed to get the delayed action working adequately. I just don't think they can open wide enough in n gauge.

On this layout I have only fitted one magnet, as with all the splitting and joining of trains, if I fitted magnets everywhere I needed them I'd be constantly leaving coaches behind!

As an aside, I use the fixed knuckles between my coaches, with just a working coupler at the ends of the rakes. The photo above of coaches with the corridor connections touching is not staged, using one short and one long coupler they are this close, but the clever coupling mount on the farish mk1 expands to allow them to negotiate short code 55 points.

Cheers

David

Nice photos - like the cantilevered corner fascia...allows some nice end on shots ;) :good:

Thanks Pete, when designing the layout I was keen that the iconic frontage of the station wasn't blocked by the end of the board. That said, it's a trade off as it does pose a challenge with what to do with the backscene and when taking photos towards that end!

Cheers

Really nice layout David

I've been following this through the planning stage and it's coming out really well.

I have teenage memories of Fort William station from family holidays to the Western Highland in the mid 1960s  (I think my Dad must have liked midges- and rain !!) With steam ending and sorely missed it was the first place where I actually enjoyed watching diesels (class 27s?). For such a simple  station, when things did happen, the flurry of loco changes along with restaurants, sleepers and the observation car coming on and off made it fascinating. I think you've really captured the atmosphere of the station as I still remember it.

Edited by Pacific231G

Really nice layout David

I've been following this through the planning stage and it's coming out really well.

I have teenage memories of Fort William station from family holidays to the Western Highland in the mid 1960s  (I think my Dad must have liked midges- and rain !!) With steam ending and sorely missed it was the first place where I actually enjoyed watching diesels (class 27s?). For such a simple  station, when things did happen, the flurry of loco changes along with restaurants, sleepers and the observation car coming on and off made it fascinating. I think you've really captured the atmosphere of the station as I still remember it.

Thanks for the comment. I've never made it to FW ironically. Especially not to the old station which was demolished not long before I was born. The prototypical shunting of trains by diesel locos was definitely one of the key reasons for picking this prototype, especially with the waterside location and atmospheric buildings.

It's great to hear that people who've been there can see the resemblance.

Thanks

David

Hi everyone,

I've been adding some details this week, there seem to be a few BRUTES around in some of the photos of FW I've seen. These are etched pixels kits, after experimenting with the first one, I decided to leave the folded and soldered castors and couplings. I just soldered up the body, then made some crude wheels from lengths of plastic rod - these look absolutely fine with the naked eye!

post-16405-0-91896800-1496648134_thumb.jpg

Some extremely cruel ngauge close ups!

post-16405-0-13085700-1496648130_thumb.jpg

There are also now around 25 of these little guys all over the sea front. Again some of the pictures from the 1970's prior to demolition feature more seagulls than people.

post-16405-0-25212000-1496648137_thumb.jpg

I'm planning to focus on some unfinished stock projects now, hopefully 47463 will finally get finished off!

Cheers

David

• Like 8

Thanks - it is a great prototype, and gives plenty of operational interest with only 4 sidings.

I like the Dapol couplers, they look much better than the rapidos and allow you to fit more of the buffer beam details. They couple up nicely, without needing too much of a bump too. They uncouple reliably over the magnets, but for all the adjustments in the world I have never managed to get the delayed action working adequately. I just don't think they can open wide enough in n gauge.

On this layout I have only fitted one magnet, as with all the splitting and joining of trains, if I fitted magnets everywhere I needed them I'd be constantly leaving coaches behind!

As an aside, I use the fixed knuckles between my coaches, with just a working coupler at the ends of the rakes. The photo above of coaches with the corridor connections touching is not staged, using one short and one long coupler they are this close, but the clever coupling mount on the farish mk1 expands to allow them to negotiate short code 55 points.

Cheers

David

David.

Do Dapol's knuckle couplers work on the same principle as the MicroTrains Magnematic couplers and are they compatible with them ? MicroTrains was the brand name for the N gauge version of the Kadee coupler before becoming a separate company when Keith and Dale Edwards (Kadee) went their separate ways. I use Kadees in H0 scale and used  MicroTrains couplers for an H0e layout a good few years ago so wondered what else is now available that would be suitable for an H0m layout I'm working on. 

Edited by Pacific231G

David.

Do Dapol's knuckle couplers work on the same principle as the MicroTrains Magnematic couplers and are they compatible with them ? MicroTrains was the brand name for the N gauge version of the Kadee coupler before becoming a separate company when Keith and Dale Edwards (Kadee) went their separate ways. I use Kadees in H0 scale and used  MicroTrains couplers for an H0e layout a good few years ago so wondered what else is now available that would be suitable for an H0m layout I'm working on. 

Yes - they do. I used Kadees in 00 and they work in exactly the same way. I understood there was some relaxing of the patents or a loophole which allowed Dapol to develop their own version, although this could be rubbish! However I have never successfully managed to get the "delayed action" which is so super-reliable with Kadees working with the Dapol couplers. I just don't think they can open wide enough over the magnets between 9mm rails for the jaws to mesh open to allow you to push an uncoupled wagon.

Hope that helps.

David

Edited by David41283

Yes - they do. I used Kadees in 00 and they work in exactly the same way. I understood there was some relaxing of the patents or a loophole which allowed Dapol to develop their own version, although this could be rubbish! However I have never successfully managed to get the "delayed action" which is so super-reliable with Kadees working with the Dapol couplers. I just don't think they can open wide enough over the magnets between 9mm rails for the jaws to mesh open to allow you to push an uncoupled wagon.

Hope that helps.

David

Thanks David

It was the expiry of Kadee's patent that allowed a number of "clones" to appear using the same magnematic principle though they couldn't simply copy Kadee and MicroTrains' designs. I've used MicroTrains Magnematic couplers in H0e and ISTR that delayed uncoupling was far less succesful than I'd found it to be in H0.  I've also tried Bachmann's clones in H0 but still find Kadee more reliable. I guess that their sixty plus years of experience counts for something

Edited by Pacific231G

I have really enjoyed reading these posts . If N gauge had been so developed in dcc sound as it is now when I restarted 8 years ago, I think I would have gone down that route . Especially seeing how good this looks.

I have really enjoyed reading these posts . If N gauge had been so developed in dcc sound as it is now when I restarted 8 years ago, I think I would have gone down that route . Especially seeing how good this looks.

Thank you.

To be honest, I'm not convinced about DCC sound in N gauge. There's just something unconvincing about the relative size of noise and train which detracts from the effect. In O gauge for example you get a real sense of weight which I think makes the sound feel that much more authentic. 

I also personally prefer the old analogue feel of operating with the control knob and switches. I built a DCC layout and didn't enjoy the endless button pushing. I (and everyone is different) found the whole experience more akin to using a scientific calculator than playing with a model train. Each to their own! It would be boring if we all liked the same aspects of the hobby.

David

• Like 1

Hi everyone.

A very practical update this evening.

We have legs!

post-16405-0-87826400-1497045356_thumb.jpg

post-16405-0-04601900-1497045363_thumb.jpg

post-16405-0-87949400-1497045368_thumb.jpg

I had been weighing up making my own trestles or buying some from ebay. As you can see I went for the latter option. There are loads of versions of these advertised on ebay, all in the price range of £23-£29 per pair or thereabouts. I went with the cheapest option here (they've actually gone up in price slightly since I bought last weekend.) They cost me £46.78 for 4 trestles including free delivery within 5 working days.

They're very good for the money - adjustable from table height up to well over 4ft - ideal for exhibitions. These will live in the loft and be used for many projects in the future.

Cheers

David

Edited by David41283
  • Like 6

Thank you.

To be honest, I'm not convinced about DCC sound in N gauge. There's just something unconvincing about the relative size of noise and train which detracts from the effect. In O gauge for example you get a real sense of weight which I think makes the sound feel that much more authentic. 

I also personally prefer the old analogue feel of operating with the control knob and switches. I built a DCC layout and didn't enjoy the endless button pushing. I (and everyone is different) found the whole experience more akin to using a scientific calculator than playing with a model train. Each to their own! It would be boring if we all liked the same aspects of the hobby.

David

David,

I agree that, unless viewed close-up, N gauge sound is overkill given the scale:viewing distance ratio.

I also agree regarding the button pushing. I had tried Lenz and Digitrax systems and couldn't find a good balance between the two. I also am not keen on the over-elaborate throttles such as the NCE/Gaugemaster where, with all the functions available, it still doesn't make a cup of tea. I much prefer a simpler throttle with a rotary speed control, and have settled on the MERG CBUS DCC system for that. In combination with a proper set of layout controls (rather than typing in numbers to change the route) I personally feel it gives a good combination of practicality and function, but is simple enough to keep things moving.

Each to their own and all that, but that's my twopence worth.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Good evening everyone,

Over the weekend I got all four trestles built, so the layout is set up, with track level probably about 4 1/2 foot from the floor.

post-16405-0-23632800-1497395799_thumb.jpg

post-16405-0-98590600-1497395801_thumb.jpg

I've also solved my uncoupling issues - after stumbling across the "Rix Pick" which is an american product designed for uncoupling their microtrains couplers, I found an equivalent available in the UK from Kadee. As they were only around £1.50 each I bought three. You just poke the specially-shaped end in between the couplers and give a small twist.

post-16405-0-44796300-1497395793_thumb.jpg

With the layout set up and an uncoupler available I also ended up getting some stock out too.

post-16405-0-79086900-1497395790_thumb.jpg

post-16405-0-72433700-1497395796_thumb.jpg

post-16405-0-52329100-1497395804_thumb.jpg

post-16405-0-21023200-1497395807_thumb.jpg

post-16405-0-22656300-1497395810_thumb.jpg

post-16405-0-26883300-1497395812_thumb.jpg

post-16405-0-43246800-1497395815_thumb.jpg

I just need to obtain a curtain of some description to hide the legs and it will be ready for public display!

Cheers

David

• Like 8

Hi David, I hope you can post a video at some point. Particularly of the auto uncoupling. Just couple of things that you may be aware of anyway, but might add to the variety of workings.

Fort William had an 08 shunter most of the time through the 70's 80's and 90's. This certainly made an appearance in the "new" station at various times. I have not seen any photographs of one on pilot duty in the "old" station, but I would hazard a guess that it must have happened on occasions.

A proper mixed train complete with brake van ran to Mallaig from the old station, at least until the early 70's. This enables you to shunt a wider variety of stock including MCOs into the station before attaching the coaches (and vice versa). This was replaced in later years by a train with fitted tail loads, usually just TTAs with fuel, but on some occasions, bogie bolsters carrying steel and interfrigo vans carrying fish. This ran until the 37s gave way to Sprinters.

• Like 1

Hi David, I hope you can post a video at some point. Particularly of the auto uncoupling. Just couple of things that you may be aware of anyway, but might add to the variety of workings.

Fort William had an 08 shunter most of the time through the 70's 80's and 90's. This certainly made an appearance in the "new" station at various times. I have not seen any photographs of one on pilot duty in the "old" station, but I would hazard a guess that it must have happened on occasions.

A proper mixed train complete with brake van ran to Mallaig from the old station, at least until the early 70's. This enables you to shunt a wider variety of stock including MCOs into the station before attaching the coaches (and vice versa). This was replaced in later years by a train with fitted tail loads, usually just TTAs with fuel, but on some occasions, bogie bolsters carrying steel and interfrigo vans carrying fish. This ran until the 37s gave way to Sprinters.

I have a vague memory of seeing an 0-6-0  diesel shunter at Ft. William while watching trains around the old station in the mid sixties. I think it was shunting oil tank wagons but I'm fairly certain I never saw it handling carriage stock. I was mostly watching from the lochside path so may have walked a bit further up the line from the station throat.