The Bridge at Remagen - N Gauge Rhine Crossing in 1944.

Al.

• 1 month later...

Frustratingly slow progress on the layout for a number of reasons, notably, lack of time and materials. However I've not been idol. With the little spare time I've had I've been working of the rolling stock. The latest is the 'Heavy Armour Train'.
This will be a BR50 or 52 hauling a short train of flat cars carrying JagdTigers and the mighty Maus tank. The JagdTiger flat cars are completed and once decals added will be weathered. The Maus wagon still need a bit more work, but is getting there.​

post-23643-0-99437900-1457261129_thumb.jpg

post-23643-0-94676000-1457261167_thumb.jpg

Also been working on some of the tanks for the 'Operation Grief Train'. I'm sure most of you have seen the film Battle of the Bulge. During the early stages of the offensive, the Germans use troops and tanks disguised as Americans to deceive the Allied troops - This was Operation Grief.
These are M10 Panther used by the Germans during the Ardennes offensive. Due to the lack of captured armour, they welded steel plates onto a unit of Panther tanks to make them look like American M10 Tank destroyers. Despite initial success, they where quickly found out - probably something to do with them shooting in the wrong direction- and were knocked out. However, they did cause enough confusion among the American lines to result in several friendly-fire incidents.

post-23643-0-94818300-1457261294_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I've had a Remagen thread running in the Continental/Overseas section for about a year and a half covering the progress on my layout. I realized pretty early on that I'd started it in the wrong section, and should have migrated it over to here much earlier. Anyway, done it now. The original posts can be found at the link below, but all new ones will be here.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89084-the-bridge-at-remagen/page-1

For those that who aren't familiar with the layout, the concept of my layout is pretty simple - recreate the Ludendorff Bridge in n gauge.

The time period is late summer 1944, just after Operation Market Garden, and presents the bridge as construction of its defences are being constructed.

The stock will be a mixture of civilian passenger traffic mixed in with military train.

The layout is a dumbbell type format with double track over the bridge and hidden storage loops at each end. In display format, it measures 9.0M x 0.9M. But can be configured in a smaller format for running at home

I started the project back in 2009 with construction of the bridge, but following initial good progress, it stalled until 2014 for a number of reasons. Since then there's been steady progress. All the public facing track is just about laid with just two smaller rail over bridges to complete before the last section goes down.

With a commitment to have the layout on display by the end of the year, I've stated work on getting the rolling stock ready too.

I'll post up a range of summary photos shortly.

Cheers. Al

(PS - If you're following the other thread, please update you link to this one.)

• Like 1

I've made the decision to move this thread to the Layout section of the forum. I've started a new thread under the same title 'The Bridge at Remagen' and it can be found at the following link.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108949-the-bridge-at-remagen/

All new updates will be posted on the new thread.

If you've been following this one, please update your' follow topic' to the new one.

Thanks for reading.

Al.

Photos, as promised.

A BR50 exits the Erpeler Ley tunnel at the head of a train of Panther tanks passes a Red Cross train pulled by a war wary Dutch BR38 heading east off the bridge. While beneath then, on the East Rhine Railway, a BR39 with protective flak wagons and pusher wagons waits for signal clearance before heading south.​

post-23643-0-51677800-1457285240_thumb.jpg

post-23643-0-79184000-1457285275_thumb.jpg

post-23643-0-19898200-1457285353_thumb.jpg

post-23643-0-22714200-1457285377_thumb.jpg

post-23643-0-68359200-1457285401_thumb.jpg

post-23643-0-89041100-1457285445_thumb.jpg

Edited by Al.
  • Like 12

I'll repeat a couple of my comments from the other thread.. It must have looked pretty daunting to the first yanks who saw it, especially as it was intact and they would be expected to keep it that way. Also i have to remind myself this is N gauge. Super stuff

Al,

This is fantastic modelling! It is hard to believe it's N gauge.

Could I suggest that you put a link to your previous thread?

It would givers a lot of interest to how it was initially constructed.

Regards,

Karl

• RMweb Gold

Al,

This is fantastic modelling! It is hard to believe it's N gauge.

Could I suggest that you put a link to your previous thread?

It would givers a lot of interest to how it was initially constructed.

Regards,

Karl

He has in post#1

• RMweb Gold

I've made the decision to move this thread to the Layout section of the forum. I've started a new thread under the same title 'The Bridge at Remagen' and it can be found at the following link.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108949-the-bridge-at-remagen/

All new updates will be posted on the new thread.

If you've been following this one, please update your' follow topic' to the new one.

Thanks for reading.

Al.

Why not just ask Andy Y to move this thread and merge it with the new one?

Andi

It would be difficult to get a better combination of railway and WWII modelling. Truly wonderful. How about a couple 88s defending the bridge?

Might not be too clear, but take a closer look at the top of the mountain in the last photo.

• Like 2

Might not be too clear, but take a closer look at the top of the mountain in the last photo.

Now I've had some time to go through your previous thread I see you not got a couple 88s, but you've got five! Brilliant modelling.

This takes me back to when I used to play 1/300 WWII battles. I moved away so didn't get to play anymore, but I'd love to get back into it.

Edited by The Nth Degree

Now I've had some time to go through your previous thread I see you not got a couple 88s, but you've got five! Brilliant modelling.

This takes me back to when I used to play 1/300 WWII battles. I moved away so didn't get to play anymore, but I'd love to get back into it.

I used to game years ago too - 1/300th Cold War micro and 20mm WW2 where my main areas of interest.

I've still got most of my stuff safely stored under the layout. I'm sure I drag it out one day...

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

This is outstanding modeling mate. I love the Flak bty at the top of the hill. Back in the day I was stationed in West Germany and my barracks used to house a Flak regt. Flak 18s (88s) and wirbelwind (quad 20s on a Pz IV chassis). From the look of your defences you must have a copy of the German Army field manual. I had a copy back in the 70s as I too dabbled in wargaming and military modeling. I brought mine from Taylor and McKennor long gone now, absorbed into Beaties. Saddly I have lost it and can't remember the exact title as it was a reprint of the original field manual for wargamers. It also had additional text which was a translation into English.         

So when do the yanks arrive?  :angel:

Regards Lez.Z.