The Bridge at Remagen - N Gauge Rhine Crossing in 1944.

Al.

Two of the cascade boards fitted to the rear of the layout.

All now tested and working. A bit of an issue with track alignment over baseboard joints derailing lead bogies, but apart from that they work ok.

post-23643-0-51529100-1514805174_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Al.
  • Like 7

I tried placing a couple of signals yesterday, but had made an error on gauge clearance when laying the track by not taking into account the wide 'out of gauge' rolling stock, such as the Kart-Garats, so not enough space for a signal post in the 6ft. The solution I figured was a gantry signal so I knocked this up last night.

post-23643-0-06947400-1515227637_thumb.jpeg

I was reasonably happy with the result, except when I placed it on the layout a bridge in advance of the signal blocked sighting. So this morning it was reworked to drop the signal heads down and to the right. After test fitting I'm much happier with this.

post-23643-0-35685100-1515227806_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-88652300-1515227825_thumb.jpeg

A little more detail and finish the painting to do before it gets planted.

• Like 5

6 days until Stevenage and I'm happy to say things are looking much better then they were as I prepared for Warley the other year.

Most of the stock is ready and in their boxes. Just the last few to do once the storage trays arrive tomorrow.

post-23643-0-81308600-1515360760_thumb.jpeg

On the layout, the final bit of track weathering is almost done. And the temporary scenery had been put down on the area with the tanks will be hiding.

post-23643-0-57212400-1515360820_thumb.jpeg

More progress tomorrow.

• Like 8

5 days to go and the final bit of scenery to get done this side of the show is completed with the final section of ballast weathered and the trees planted on the temporary scenic section.

Tomorrow the track gets a final clean before the board is packed up for moving.

post-23643-0-25941300-1515444878_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-35611300-1515444917_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

4 days to go. The four main scenic boards are bolted together ready for loading into the van. There's just a little bit of tidying up on the Erpeler Ley board with some wiring I'd forgotten about and the two end boards will be ready too.

post-23643-0-57589800-1515536351_thumb.jpeg

In other areas thirteen stick boxes are packed ready to go. There's just one more to collect from Barrie Haigh who's been servicing the spare locos for me.

post-23643-0-69847100-1515536322_thumb.jpeg

Tomorrow I should get around to packing up the tool and other stuff I might need to keep the layout running all weekend.

• Like 5

2 days to go and not a lot to show you tonight. The small wiring issue with the Erpeler Ley board got resolved, and the rest of the time was spent sorting tool boxes and cable boxes.

The Erpeler Ley board has been lifted down onto the floor ready git loading into the van. The other boards will follow it tomorrow.

post-23643-0-50392900-1515624326_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

1 day to go and this is looking scarily like I've got this organised.

We're all but ready for loading into the van.

A good night sleep tonight ahead moving it all to Stevenage tomorrow, and hopefully it'll all go back together run without too many issues all weekend.

post-23643-0-37867100-1515708976_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Day 1 under our belt and sadly I have very few photos to show for it. The layout ran a hundred times better then it did at Warley with the new fiddle yard being a vast improvement.

A massive thanks for all your messages of support and to these who took the time today to visit and say hello.

I hope to catch up with more of you tomorrow.

• Like 4

Day 1 under our belt and sadly I have very few photos to show for it. The layout ran a hundred times better then it did at Warley with the new fiddle yard being a vast improvement.

A massive thanks for all your messages of support and to these who took the time today to visit and say hello.

Great and pleasing to hear.

Hopefully pictures tomorrow?

Enjoyed the show and was really impressed with your layout, the bridge looks great, fantastic model, well done :-)

Steve

• Like 1

I saw the layout today at Stevenage show. Fantastic. We did talk briefly about V2's being guided. A quick trawl of the net does imply there was a beam guidance system available.. Quote..

A radio guidance unit was developed and deployed, reducing the CEP down to a few kilometers but this didn’t happen till late in the war. The Leitstrahlstellung was the V-2 radio guidance beam. The Brensslussstellung was the engine cutoff beam.

• Like 2

I saw the layout today at Stevenage show. Fantastic. We did talk briefly about V2's being guided. A quick trawl of the net does imply there was a beam guidance system available.. Quote..

A radio guidance unit was developed and deployed, reducing the CEP down to a few kilometers but this didn’t happen till late in the war. The Leitstrahlstellung was the V-2 radio guidance beam. The Brensslussstellung was the engine cutoff beam.[/size]

It was good to talk to you about the layout. I'll have to do some reading up on the V2's. That's something I wasn't aware of.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Day two over and done with. The layout preformed well, but not as well as yesterday. A couple of the points were proving temperamental and several of the locos were starting to get tired. However, we completed the day and enjoyed running the layout and chatting to the people.

It's now all safely home and waiting to go back into the workshop tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who came along to see the layout. I got to chat to many of you who've followed and supported it. I'm sure there were still plenty I missed and hopefully we can catch up at the next show which will be Peterborough in December this year.

Cheers. Al.

• Like 2

Did you manage to fix the demeshed gears on that loco?

Did you manage to fix the demeshed gears on that loco?

I've not had chance to take a look. I think it was one of the Roco BR44's so hopefully is nothing more serious then the drive shaft from the tender having popped off.

Hi Al,

Did come over to try and catch your attention on the Saturday but you were very busy keeping things running. Great to see the layout again though and it looks like your recent efforts to improve the running have paid off, certainly was performing better than at Warley. And of course it looks great as well.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Had a very enjoyable time watching this layout on Saturday at the Stevenage show.

I thought the rakes of wagons carrying Me 163s and Me262s or V2 rockets were a clever touch - usually it's a Spitfire! - and the bridge itself is spectacular.

I am looking forward to seeing what scenic treatment you give to the left side of the layout - from the photos in this thread the large castle/chateau looks like it will be very impressive!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Was good to see this again at the weekend and speak with you Al on the Sunday morning before the show opened.

Although I am not a N gauge or a continental modeller I can be inspired by good​ great modelling when I see it and this is truly the case here. I have been following this thread interest for some time, quietly lurking and I look forward to further developments. A fascinating and interesting subject choice too. As said the above the bridge is a work of art and exceptional scenery with wonderful cameos to boot (as apposed to das boot)

• Like 1