The Bridge at Remagen - N Gauge Rhine Crossing in 1944.

Al.

With 3 weeks to go until the Peterborough Show, it's been a busy weekend with the layout.

All the stock has been out and had a full service. As part of this, I've painted all the undersides of the locos white to improve the reliability of the IR sensors on the cascade.

The cascade has had a test and is fully functional for 18 trains.

The control panels checked and also confirmed as OK.

In the bit of time left, I started on the vineyards beside the church. I'm aiming to have this area flocked by next weekend.

post-23643-0-61422500-1542790851_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-27034600-1542790880_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-73613900-1542790897_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

Two weeks to go before Peterborough.

This weekend has been about more prep work (as well as going out to the local Christmas Tree Farm to collect our tree). All the stock have been serviced and packed away in boxes ready for the show. On the whole, the majority were OK - There was a couple broken couplings and a traction tire or two missing. There where only two big problems. One was the BR17 which had developed a chassis problem while at the CMRA Stevenage show. This turned out to be nothing more serious then a loose screw. And two was the Karl Mortars where I've lost one of the transporter wagons. I've been experimenting with a 3D printed chassis for the model that would make it an easy conversion of the Dragon model from static to rolling. But I've misplaced the wagon and still can't find it...

post-23643-0-81825400-1543223716_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

A little bit more progress on the vine yards last night. I'm still in two minds whether it looks right. But time is pressing for the Peterborough so no time left to rework it again. Tonight I'll start putting the posts in, then it's the job of fitting the wires.

post-23643-0-16626500-1543308715_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

If your at the Peterborough show, keep an eye out for old St. Nicholas and the Snowman. They'll be on the layout somewhere on an early trip out delivering Christmas presents to the children of Remagen.

post-23643-0-74251200-1543646632_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

The 2019 show calendar is confirmed. Remagen has four shows booked across the country. I hope at least one of these shows are within travelling distance for anyone hoping to see the layout up close.

The London Festival of Railway Modelling, Alexander Palace - 23/24 March 2019.

Trainwest 2019, Corsham, Wiltshire - 13/14 April 2019.

RailEx NE, North Shields - 27/28 July 2019.

The International N Gauge Show, Leamington Spa -  13/14 September 2019.

If you do make it to any of the shows, please grab me for a chat.

• Like 2

Finally got home just after 9 last night and after a tiring, but enjoyable weekend I finally had time tinpot my feet up and relax.

The layout took a long time to settle down on Saturday morning and it was a struggle to keep it going sometimes without a lot of finger poking. But by the afternoon it had settled down, and Sunday we running the stock at nearer realistic speeds. I'm wondering whether this may have been something to do with loading the van Thursday night rather then Friday morning.

The lights in the hall played havoc with the infrared sensors on the fiddle yard, with sensors detecting trains when they weren't there and saying they weren't when they were. By midday we'd switched it off and where hand-balling the stock though - which has wrecked most of the traction tyres. This is going to need reworking ahead of Ally Pally show, which will include a manual override.

I've a list of other stuff that needs doing to make the operation and setting up & breaking down easier. But it's getting there.

There was a lot of good feedback from the public and I spent most of Sunday out front talking to people. Unfortunately it meant I got very few photos of the layout in action. So if you have any, please post up here for me.

Thanks to everyone who drop by for a chat. Apologies if I missed you, or was too busy on something else.

Looking forward to doing it all again at Ally Pally.

Cheers. Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I am gutted I missed the chance to see the layout at Peterborough. Unfortunately, we already had other plans made. Hope to get to the show at Ally Pally in March to see it. I hope it won "Best in Show" as the model really is superb!

Well done on a great layout, enjoyed seeing it on Sunday. I spent ages just looking at the details and love the history behind it. Shame you didn't get many pics. Hope these are ok.

post-24-0-73089800-1544465664_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-82405700-1544465675_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-34164900-1544465692_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-73229800-1544465701_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-35642600-1544465717_thumb.jpg

Steve.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I have missed it, read back but cannot find any mention - do you make your own trees or buy them as kits or ready done? If bought in, where from? If you make them yourself, any chance of adding a tutorial or similar?

Best wishes

simon

The trees come from 4D Models, and are reworked to prevent follage drop while the layout is being moved.

Thank you, I thought I recognised them and your additional comment explains the 'leaving them to dry' etc. They are pricey little thingies but well worth it.

I am working on making my own and am finding that making larger trees for my Hobbiton End layout has been way easier than trying to miniaturise the process for N gauge, still trying though.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/35993-hobbiton-end/

This is one of my favourite threads on here.

Best wishes

Simon

Breaking news....!

Remagen is one of the nominees for Layout of the Year on The British Model Railways Awards - Link at the top of the page.

There's some stiff competition from some excellent layout, but I'd like to think I'm in with a chance.

All vote for Remagen are welcome....

Edited by Al.
  • Like 2