The Bridge at Remagen - N Gauge Rhine Crossing in 1944.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

I believe Germany did not produce much red compared with white before the 1990's, and even now it is only about 30% of what they produce.

Wurttemburg always made quite a lot of red. But it's small scale by comparison with all that white in the Mosel and Rhein areas.

Some really good Pinot Noir now available from Germany (Saarland).

• Like 1

On 11 June 2019 at 22:07, Joseph_Pestell said:

I can vouch for that!

Al, I think you might be better leaving off the trellis wires - only 1.8mm or 2mm in reality which is seriously small at 1:160.

Not sure of German trellis methods at that time, but one would expect three or four vines between each post.

I don't disagree with you. Having spent a few days looking at it I've decided I'm not happy with it and will rework it. Might take a drive out to one of our local vineyards this weekend for some research.  

• Like 1

Request for some help. 

I'm looking for new members to join the Remagen operating team. 

I'm looking for a couple more people to join core operating team to assist with setting up and operating the layout during show weekends. 

There's also the opportunity for guest operators to join the team, for part or full days, to help out with the opetating of the layout during show weekends. 

Remagen goes out 4 times a year and mainly attends full weekend shows. Travel out and set up is normally on Friday. Operating Saturday and Sunday, with strip down and travel back Sunday night. 

The layout is based in the South London area so being reasonably local to this is preferred, but not essential. 

If you are interested in either joining the core team, or being a guest operator, please PM me for more information. 

Cheers. Al. 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

If it's of use, here is a photo of a vineyard on the Moselle just before picking time last September. The vines are not too wide, about 5 or 6 feet high at most, and quite a light green. Very richly coloured soil - and this was in the 2018 hot summer which also occurred in Germany.

aac

MOSELLE VINES.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Reminder that the next outing for Remagen will be at Railex NE on 27th & 28th July in North Sheilds. 

If you're attending the show, please drop by and say hello. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Al.
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

With the Blyth and Tyne Model Railway Society show at North Shields over and done with, that marks the end of the 2019 exhibition calendar for the layout. Thanks to everyone who can along to admire the layout and have a chat. Two particular highlights standout for me. They were meeting the Lancaster pilot and the Woman Air Transport Auxiliary pilot. Both in their 90's and an absolute pleasure to chat to.

We've a busy year for 2020 with 4 shows already confirmed and a 5th provisional. If you weren't able to see the layout this year, hopefully you can make one of these 2020 show.

Scot Model Rail, Glasgow. 21st to 23rd Feb 2020.
N Gauge SE Show, Reigate. 4th Apr 2020.
Bristol Model Rail Exhibition, Thornbury. 1st to 3rd May 2020.
The International N Gauge Show, Lemington Spa. 14th - 15th Sept 2020.

In the meantime, there's a plenty of work on the layout to keep me busy.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Hey Al

I know this is a crazy idea but why not add a Snoopy inspired cameo to the layout and see how many people get the reference?

Just an idea!

Thats almost like you have insider information as to what my next post might be....

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Has Snoopy ever considered what China might be like?

Just asking.

As he's got 'Made in China' stamped on his arse, I suspect he already knows....

• Funny 2

On the subject of cameos, Keep an eye out for the latest one to be added for the 2020 show season. 

A heads up. The flying ace might be one of the answers to the children's quizzes.... ;)

image.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Funny 3

• 4 weeks later...

It's been almost a month since the last update. That's mainly because most of the progress this month has been on behind the scenes with work to improve the fiddle yard and develop the new control panels.
But  it's not all back of house. A new loco has joined the fleet. This one is a Br62 and it will be working a new coal train that's been added to the roster.
There's also been a bit of progress on the scenery with the Flak Sdkfz8 getting a bit of camouflage, and the recon Sdkfz234's have joins the rest of the tank company beneath the trees. 
Plenty more to follow before we get to Glasgow next February.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 11