The Bridge at Remagen - N Gauge Rhine Crossing in 1944.

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a lot to actually see here, but it is significant. These are the undersides if the 4 fiddleyard boards with all the wiring for the cascades. 

Todays progress see the opto-sensors for all 32 track section tested and proved working.

Next step is to wire in the remaining 16 relays and I’ll increase the fiddle yards capacity from 16 trains to 32. 

I might need to go out and buy some new stock soon.

8735F0F1-FA48-458C-949C-32164C940166.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve been working on a Flak Panther today to finish off the Vampir Panther train. This one is a panther tank hull with a 37mm cannon mounted over the turret ring.

They started appearing in the final year of the war when the supply of new tanks dried up and, with the destruction of the infrastructure, it became impossible to send battle damaged tanks back to the factory for refitting. 

Serviceable hulls has decks fitted over the turret rings and guns bolted into place. 

Quad 20mm cannons were quite common, along with the 37mm cannon. Somewhere I’ve even seen a photo of an 88mm mounted to the hull. 

What struck me as I was painting the model is who similar it looks to the German Marder IFV.

65B32FDF-71E4-4625-A157-585FEB81FF18.jpeg

9CBFA63C-4044-442A-8080-B5A78264C187.jpeg

CBB135D6-A878-47AB-95C2-DA63837F3DDC.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

In other news, another little scenic touch to the layout today. A Sturmtiger from Sturmmörserkompanie 1000, which was one of the units delayed against the bridge after it was captured in March 1945.

IMG_E3007.JPG

IMG_E3016.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Very well deserved. I had the pleasure of seeing the layout this weekend and speaking to Al. The little details are incredible not to mention the bridge. The number of trees is amazing. I believe are about 1000.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Saw this at MR2020 at the weekend; the bridge has to be seen 'in the flesh' to be really appreciated.  Not only is the bridge, itself, impressive but so are the military models around the scene.  I was especially impressed by the radar setup and engine change cameos on the hilltop to the right had end.  Always seemed to be a train on the move too.

Well worth seeing if you get the opportunity.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice layout and something a bit different .  So I got two film references . I spotted the elephant from Hannibal Brooks , and the downed Lanc had 617sq markings , but I'm struggling for Ice Cold in Alex , unless you had a cold one behind the backscene!

• Like 1

Want to see the layout in action?

It features prominently in this very nice video of the Glasgow show ……………  the video includes an interview with the man himself - Al Turner - and is the last of nine layouts featured as well as being the 'poster boy' of the video. If you want to go straight to the Remagen section start at minute 15.44 ………………………….

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 7

With Glasgow completed, it’s time pay the layout a bit of attention with trying to improve reliability.

A common problem we have most shows is locos stalling over the points. To cure this I’m fitting latching relays to each of the points to change the polarity.

These are the 4 banks of relays all ready for fitting.

715224C7-7278-4EAC-9D68-926DCD20708C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1