The Bridge at Remagen - N Gauge Rhine Crossing in 1944.

Al.

With Glasgow completed, it’s time pay the layout a bit of attention with trying to improve reliability.

A common problem we have most shows is locos stalling over the points. To cure this I’m fitting latching relays to each of the points to change the polarity.

These are the 4 banks of relays all ready for fitting.

24135438-DE48-4BAA-8F29-9BD5C5413704.jpeg

Edited by Al.
  • Like 2

380 hand painted people later and the paddle steamer is looking a lot more crowded.  

But not finished yet. All the heads need painting from where I cut each from the frame. 

Then there’s a few more bikes to add and a whole load of suitcases.

CE7EC07B-955B-46B9-A011-2CAC5E66508B.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 03/03/2020 at 20:32, Al. said:

380 hand painted people later and the paddle steamer is looking a lot more crowded.  

But not finished yet. All the heads need painting from where I cut each from the frame. 

Then there’s a few more bikes to add and a whole load of suitcases.

CE7EC07B-955B-46B9-A011-2CAC5E66508B.jpeg

Perhaps now people won't mistake it for a pleasure trip!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Under the circumstances regarding the Covid-19 virus, the exhibition managers for the N Gauge Southeast 2020 have taken the decision to cancel the show. 
Not an easy decision, but under consideration, probably the correct one.spacer.png

F73B2477-FC81-4FB1-B78B-C0F3F38D5525.jpeg

Edited by Al.
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 9 months later...
On 14/08/2018 at 18:19, Al. said:

After far too long an absence, I'm finally able to get back into me workshop and continue work on Remagen. So here's a long overdue update. As well as the LNER stuff I've been filling my time with, I've also been working done if the smaller details for the layout.

post-23643-0-70908700-1534267000_thumb.jpeg

this one here should answer the question of what happened to the Lancaster crew.

Sorry if this sounds facetious,  but that Lancaster (which was the one Guy Gibson flew on the dams raid) survived until 1947 when it was scrapped. I imagine the crew were fine.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2021 at 15:07, PenrithBeacon said:

Sorry if this sounds facetious,  but that Lancaster (which was the one Guy Gibson flew on the dams raid) survived until 1947 when it was scrapped. I imagine the crew were fine.

That gets pointed out at least once per show. I run a sweepstake with the operating crew to how far into the show it will be before it's first mentioned.

Reality is it an error on my part due to a bit of research on my part. I'll get round to changing it at some point.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Al. said:

That gets pointed out at least once per show. I run a sweepstake with the operating crew to how far into the show it will be before it's first mentioned.

Reality is it an error on my part due to a bit of research on my part. I'll get round to changing it at some point.

This might help http://www.354thpmfg.com/history_pt1_356thfs.html

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Al. said:

Al,

I'll have to remember that and make sure I mention it whenever I see you :P:P:P:P:P:P

Regards

Neal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...

This weekend a year ago was the last time Remagen was seen in public at Model Rail Scotland.

It was a great show with loads of great layouts on show and we were delighted to pick up 1st place non-associated member layout.

Me and the operating crew had a great time at the show and we're looking forward to when we can return to exhibiting the layout.

Stay safe. Al.

86773332_1255655044636509_3940599049169666048_n.jpg

87799452_1257250517810295_18813047678173184_n.jpg

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

After a year in storage the first board is out for some scenic work under the watchful eye of Minoru.

In addition to getting the church finished, the vineyards need finishing, a farmhouse is needed on the left along with a crossing keepers cottage.

Plenty to keep my busy.

160491406_1560931260775551_5232857691815109631_n.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 04/01/2021 at 15:07, PenrithBeacon said:

Sadly, I don't think any of Wg Cmdr Gibson's dams raid crew survived the war

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 8 months later...

It’s been a very long time since the last layout update. The layout got put away after Model Rail Scotland 2020 and has pretty much stayed that way since due to a wide range of reasons. It’s now back out and I’ve started slow progress on it again. 

At the moment the focus is on the far left hand board around the church. Two areas in particular; 1, the Crossing Keepers cottage. 2, the Farm House by the vine yard. 

The Crossing Keepers cottage will eventually have a garden and veggie patch around it, which the Farm House will be the site of the Kelly’s Heroes cameo with the broken down Sherman.

4A483DBC-2C47-4AE4-BC00-C6A116016DCF.jpeg

8DC9A96D-C24D-43B0-83B7-B9FB97993E2E.jpeg

17D0338B-3A9A-427F-A169-E1F825176406.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Fishplate said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/19/germany-rebuild-remagen-bridge-rhine-ww2-collapseHi

thought this link might be of interest from today's Guardian .

But not, by the looks of it, for railway purposes.

The suggestion is that the rebuild would be for pedestrians and cyclists:

"The bridge towers on the left bank of the Rhine now house the FRIEDENSMUSEUM Brücke von Remagen. In the tunnel on the right bank of the Rhine in Erpel, the association "ad Erpelle - Kunst- und Kulturkreis Erpel e.V." regularly stages plays, concerts and other cultural events. You can find the link to the Ad Erpelle website here. The bridge towers on the right bank of the Rhine are the property of Deutsche Bahn AG. Currently, it is being considered to connect both sides at the historic site with a bicycle and pedestrian bridge."
https://bruecke-remagen.de/brucke/?setlang=en

and

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtschaft/verkehr-remagen-bruecke-von-remagen-studie-fuer-haengebruecke-zwischen-tuermen-dpa.urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-190709-99-980572

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

But not, by the looks of it, for railway purposes.

Agreed. The article does say that the purpose of the new bridge would provide a link which avoids a long detour to get to the opposite bank, which is omitted from the quote above.

All part of the repurposing of our rich industrial heritage to serve current needs, of which a new bridge at Remagen would be part. Hence I thought it "might be of interest" to readers of this thread ?

• Like 4