The Bridge at Remagen - N Gauge Rhine Crossing in 1944.

Al.

With the point motor resolved, I've returned to ballasting. I think I've swapped one horror for another.....

I'm also back on scenery building. This is the view west down the boards towards a mock up of the Apollinariskirche Church.

post-23643-0-47988000-1477512530_thumb.jpeg

Al.

• Like 7

Looking forward to seeing this at Warley.

G.

I haven't been to Warley since it was at the 'Harry Mitchell Centre' - but am seriously considering a visit just to see this. This is up there with the best N gauge layouts ever (and I did see Chee Tor) - if it's even half as good as the photos it should be in a museum!

Edit: I have a feeling that Chee Tor was 2mmFS, but even so......

Edited by sp1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've committed Remagen to its second outing. We're now booked to appear at CMRA 2017 show in Stevenage on the 14th & 15th January.

The slot was originally due to be filled by Paul Staplton's China layout, with Remagen scheduled to appear in 2018. However Paul's build schedule has slipped so we've agreed to swap the slots and move Remagen forward a year.

The link to Paul's layout is here. It's well worth a look. Having visited China recently, I can say he's model is spot on. - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87250-chinese-ho-exhibition-layout/?view=getnewpost

• Like 2

Guest Midland Mole

Wow, only just found this thread. Stunning work, and a fantastic idea. The military history nut in me is going mad :)

Damn! I did not want to go to Warley this year.... :(

- Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

Way back in 1965 I think it was we stayed in Remagen for a week on a school holiday. The hotel/hostel was over looking the railway station from memory. I can remember the base of the bridge pillars sitting there in the river.

Interesting to see it being modeled

There's a slightly sad irony that The Bridge at Remagen is making its public debut so shortly after the passing of Robert Vaughan, who starred in the film of the same name.

Yes, it is sad. I may add a note to the layout information to pay tribute to him.

Al.

• Like 8

It's just under 2 weeks to go until Warley and I've still got a massive amount if work to do. I've concluded I don't have enough time to get the E-Boat finished to a standard I'll be happy with in the remaining time. And as the wakes are already modelled into the river, it'll look stupid not having them there. So as much as I hate doing it, I've sprayed them up black and go with them in that state.

post-23643-0-24412600-1479116950_thumb.jpeg

I've also spent a few mornings working on the vehicles. This is a selection from the West Bank boards. They're pretty much done. Just decals and weathering to complete.

post-23643-0-10676700-1479117075_thumb.jpeg

Al.

• Like 15

A frustrating day today. I'd planned to push on with more scenic works, but ended up spending most of the day sat in London traffic.....!

On the plus side, I've got the orchard finished with some 50 odd trees planted.

post-23643-0-07430100-1479403004_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-14995800-1479403017_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-64390800-1479403032_thumb.jpeg

I must say it look superbly unspectacular in the photos.

• Like 11

A frustrating day today. I'd planned to push on with more scenic works, but ended up spending most of the day sat in London traffic.....!

I've had two days of driving in via the A1/A41 to Cricklewood preparing for recovery of redundant assets. I have spent more time driving than working. It's like sitting in a slow moving car park.

• Like 1

I've had two days of driving in via the A1/A41 to Cricklewood preparing for recovery of redundant assets. I have spent more time driving than working. It's like sitting in a slow moving car park.

It doesn't matter where you're going in London, it takes an hour. So heading to Wickes for a couple new drill bits, that's two hours of the day gone....

Edited by Al.

This is so annoying - I will be driving right past the NEC on friday, but, will be nowhere near enough to visit saturday or sunday !  Had planned to go this year, and, having found this thread a couple of months ago, had made my mind up that I definately would - till my plans were changed for me !

Hope the show goes well for "The Bridge's" first outing, it's an absolute masterpiece and I am gutted that I will not be able to come see it in person !