The Bridge at Remagen - N Gauge Rhine Crossing in 1944.

Al.

Good progress this afternoon with the scenery. All that was yellow is now white.

Well almost. Just the strip on the left hand side to do to not it into the wooded area. I probably want get around to that until tomorrow evening as tomorrow I've promised to take Julia to Bluewater dress shopping, while there slip away for a couple of hours to the Gravesend Model Railway Show.

post-23643-0-87641600-1509822587_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-73521700-1509822617_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

It's a curiosity in this hobby how we can spend hours working on the smallest of details that, to all but the most keenest of eye and knowledgable viewer, would go unnoticed.

This morning I've been working on one such item. In this case the munitions wagons that serve the Railgun. These wagons housed the charges, casings and propellent for the gun. These were assembled within the wagon before being delivered to the gun via a small trolley that was mounted on rails that ran though each wagon.

The past couple of hours have been taken up with added end doors and access bridges to the wagons.

post-23643-0-11073400-1509871635_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-70126000-1509871664_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-63804400-1509871716_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It's a curiosity in this hobby how we can spend hours working on the smallest of details that, to all but the most keenest of eye and knowledgable viewer, would go unnoticed.

This morning I've been working on one such item. In this case the munitions wagons that serve the Railgun. These wagons housed the charges, casings and propellent for the gun. These were assembled within the wagon before being delivered to the gun via a small trolley that was mounted on rails that ran though each wagon.

The past couple of hours have been taken up with added end doors and access bridges to the wagons.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Are they going to be working? (He asks tongue in cheek.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

On the radio Friday 10th November (BBC Radio 4 Extra 11:15 and 21:15 on DAB or iPlayer) Robert Vaughn stars in 'Solo Behind the Iron Curtain', a play based on the true events as the cast of 'The Bridge at Remagen' rush to get out of Czechoslovakia ahead of the Soviet invasion after filming the story there. The appearance of American tanks and military vehicles (albeit old and non-functioning) deep in Czechoslovakia had apparently worried the Soviets, and may have even prompted the invasion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0084zr7

On the radio Friday 10th November (BBC Radio 4 Extra 11:15 and 21:15 on DAB or iPlayer) Robert Vaughn stars in 'Solo Behind the Iron Curtain', a play based on the true events as the cast of 'The Bridge at Remagen' rush to get out of Czechoslovakia ahead of the Soviet invasion after filming the story there. The appearance of American tanks and military vehicles (albeit old and non-functioning) deep in Czechoslovakia had apparently worried the Soviets, and may have even prompted the invasion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0084zr7

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll give it a look.

• Like 1

Is that the one in France? It's on my 'to see' list one day when I'm in the area.

Yes, it's at the Musee du Mur de l'Atlantique - Todt Batterie not far from Calais and near the V3 HDP 'London gun' at Mimoyecques.

G.

Busy weekend with other stuff, so very little progress on the layout. However the K5 Train is steadily moving forward. The Railgun built is almost done. Just the final bits of detail to do and it'll be ready for painting.

post-23643-0-87323700-1510515541_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

The K5 Railgun has been tried and tested and works. Mounted on two 6-axle wagons its tolls freely and will negotiate peco radius 2 curves without any problems.

I'm very happy with the result. It's turned out a lot better then I expected.

Next stage is to get it painted.

I think I can chalk this one up as a success.

post-23643-0-31760200-1510646184_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-38408200-1510646201_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

A short video clip of the business part of the K5 Train.

This is a test run over part of the to check for any issues with the gun barrel overhang on the curves. All looks fine against the current stock.

The one that does concern me is the Karl-Gerats. The K5 and the mortars are the largest larges items of stock on the layout, and if there's a clash, it'll be between these two. But as I'm still working on the Karl wagons chassis, it's going to be a few more weeks before finding out.

trim.0CA5556D-11A6-4C9C-82E5-0B23193CF99A.MOV

• Like 3

G'Day Folks.

When you posted that the K5 Railgun had been tried, tested and it works, I thought for a moment, you'd Fired the gun !!!!!!

manna

A scale range of 400metres. That's from one end of Warley to the other...

• RMweb Gold

Hi there Al.

Great progress mate. When I saw your last post with the A9s, I thought surely they didn't transport them in one piece so I went a looking and sure enough they did. I was a bit taken aback as the A9 can be split into 3 sections and would have been much easier to transport broken down. The mob I was in back my army days had the NATO equivalent to the A9 although it was a lot smaller than the A9 and a nuke so not really so equivalent....anyway it came in 2 sections and the A & T troop put them together on a loader/transporter and then transferred them to a launcher ready fueled. They had almost the same fuel as the A9s as well and it was nasty nasty stuff too with much the same reaction if the two components mixed. We never touched the fuel though they came sealed in a box and we just opened them and put them together and launched them. Not with a real warhead obviously.  Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing them on a train. :)

Regards Lez.Z. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi again Al.

What are you going to do about the launch command vehicle? Is there a 144th kit or are you going to have to scratch build one or kitbash a half track? I can't quite decide which one they converted. The available pics aren't that clear    :senile:

Regards Lez.Z. 

I just did a bit of research and it's a Sd.Kfz.7/3 Feuerleitpanzer. Kits are available in 1/35 and 1/72 but I haven't found one for 144th. 

Edited by lezz01

A few prototype photos.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Gives me a pause when I see a V2 model. One landed on Crystal Palace Road about a mile from where I was staying at my Grandparents house in Penge on March 15, 1945. I was only 13 months old so have no direct memory. 9 people were killed.

Edited by autocoach

A big word of thanks goes out to Barrie Haigh, from the N Gauge Facebook page, for servicing and repairing ten of my locos for Remagen.

This collection of Br41's, 44's, 50's & 52's had been picked up second hand over a number of years and had suffered various levels of use and abuse in their previous lives. Under my ownership, they'd spent most of it sat in the stock draw with hardly any running. All were in dire need of a service, clean, oil, including removal of the paint from the pickups and contacts which is added while reprinting the bodies.

Barrie has done an excellent job getting all ten up and running despite some pretty horrendous wore on one of the 41's and 50's.

It's very much appreciated. Thanks.

post-23643-0-20712300-1511003370_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Gives me a pause when I see a V2 model. One landed on Crystal Palace Road about a mile from where I was staying at my Grandparents house in Penge on March 15, 1945. I was only 13 months old so have no direct memory. 9 people were killed.

I used to live not far from the site of the New Cross V-2 which flattened the Woolworths store. 168 people killed in that one. There's a plaque on the wall of the Iceland store to mark the site.

post-23643-0-79529400-1511003585_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Al.

The gun carriage part of the K5 Train is just about complete. Just the final touch of weathering and other small details to complete. I'm really please with the way this has turned out. It should look pretty good being hauled along by a BR52.

These area few shots of the gun and associated wagons in travel mode sat on the western bridge approach.

post-23643-0-98322100-1511103335_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-22198000-1511103357_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-95180500-1511103380_thumb.jpeg

post-23643-0-51411500-1511103413_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Trains, Planes & Tanks. My three favourite modelling subjects all rolled into one

All beautifully done

The bridge.......amazing

The water.......superb

The towers either end of the bridge......awesome

The amount of vehicles.........mind-boggling

The scenics.........very well done

All your set pieces......very imaginative

All in all.......well.......there's so much to take in.

One niggle, though not your fault because no model manufacturer includes them on their decal sheets nowadays. But the tails of your aircraft are missing a certain symbol.

A real piece of history. Would love to see it for real. Or maybe you have a video posted somewhere??

• Like 1