SCRATCH BUILT MODERN EUROPEAN STYLE WAGONS 4mm ish

• RMweb Gold

Have a 4jua/pta on the way to add to my jya's and jna to make up mendip stone train. Like to knock up some railtrack jna falcons for another project but the axle bsc iii bogie doesn't seem to be available.. I will probably adapt some standard bsc bogies as a compromise..

Once you've finished the Mendip Stone Train, can you bring it along to Taunton Show in October? It'll look good behind my DBS 59201  :good:

It'll also save me having to try and butcher build one myself!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Cheers

Mike

Marco, I bought three pairs of brass kit O&K bogies some years ago from Intercity Models. The intention was to build some of these wagons. I did build the bogies and there were very good, sadly my soldering wasn't that great. Not sure if Intercity is still going. If not might be possible to search eBay for some. As for the drawings not sure, my plan was to use photos and if possible try to get some measurements off the real thing to help with scale. Back then I was on the Central Division and occasionally passed by Purley.

Maybe someone on here has some info on Intercity. IMHO they were a great company, good products and reasonably cheap.

Nice working going on there mate. Mike's offer of his 59/2 at Taunton with your rake of wagons would look the kanine's testoli....

• Like 1

yes I have some O and K bogies knocking around and they are available from s kits.. I might get some in the summer at burton show if he is there...it is a tall order to build one of these but Ill have a go. I see they are similar to Bachmann JGA with some added detail. Perhaps even a bash up is a possibility, although expensive.

Looks promising already. I've got a load of these in a box somewhere, made redundant since Bachmann's version, and I'd never considered converting them into Cement tanks. Who makes the axle boxes? So is it hack off the original under frame detail from the sole bar and then fix on the PCA stuff.? What are they like for length in comparison?

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Marco, I used some on that VTG purple open wagon. The ones I'm after for the JRAs are the channel tunnel spoil type.

In the meantime I batch built these box opens last summer but only got round to completing the styrene box without the grab rails, buffers etc etc.

post-28700-0-93711400-1521231731_thumb.jpg

There are 22 in total but there are going to be detail differences to reflect damage repair and general design mods.

post-28700-0-70958700-1521231818_thumb.jpg

To help to stop the pin point metal axles wearing a groove into the plastic of the bogies I've been using this Lith-Moly grease. On the whole it works really well and I've used it all my RTR stock, especially the Bachmann coaches and wagons.

How are the Cement tanks coming along? My TTAs are still in the box.......

post-28700-0-12239800-1521232104_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Silly question Grizz.......can you build me some MLAs? They look to be the same sizes as the low top JNAs. I can paint them myself but I’ve not got the ability to build them!

Scoobyra sorry mate I've never built wagons for anyone. Unfortunately I don't get a lot of time these days ironically due to working on the railway.

Marco is right, MLAs are a fairly simple box with ribs. Have you ever had a go at building anything out of styrene sheets? It is not as difficult as it might look and one of the main reasons I started this topic was to try to encourage more people to have a go at scratch building. It is great fun, frustrating, irritating, challenging but above all very rewarding all at the same time.

When I first started doing this the internet wasn't around and I didn't have a clue where to buy materials from, let alone how to do etc. No one I ever saw at exhibitions built modern wagons, they usually built some random rare cattle wagon of a little heard of railway company out of brass using some old drawing in feet and inches. Way way way beyond my 'skill set' and it always put me off.

One of my first efforts was converting a Dapol Esso Tank wagon kit. I had half a dozen kits already made up as Tanks and painted but wanted some two axled open wagons because of the MTA conversions appearing on the national network at the time.

So I carefully cut the tank barrels off then I bought three sheets of 1mm styrene sheet from Beatties Models (Which shows you how long ago it was....approx mid 1990s) then using just a metal ruler, pencil and Stanley knife I drew on the sheet and scored it with the knife and then snapped the sheet along the score lines. I found that Beatties did a very limited range of Tamia styrene sections.

Basically I had no drawings it was a case of having a go and getting it to look about right. I still have them for sentimental reasons. They never really got finished......story of my life.....actually don't think that there were the transfers available back then. The thing that bugs me most of all is the huge couplings that I fitted as at the time it was all that was available. Check out Ever Green and Plastruct for styrene sections.

post-28700-0-84992100-1521359684_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-97301200-1521359739_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-65243200-1521359784_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-72736700-1521360044_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-43361400-1521360070_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-43183400-1521360100_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-81714200-1521360167_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Haha yeah looking back it looks like a cross between the two types. I didn't have any drawings and very few photos back then. Spoil wagons on the Central Division at ThreeBridges were the last few battered old Grampus and ZBA Rudds with the odd Clam.....

Once they were withdrawn the MFAs and MTAs started to appear a bit more often. This was way before Falcons and other larger bogie ballast wagons were introduced.

I wish I taken more photos of some of the older types from back then.

• Like 1

Posted 04 March 2018 - 18:42

Got to try finishing projects I started a while ago first before I start anything else new.

Hi Grizz

entertaining thread, I like what you and Marcoblanco are building.

Spot on with the comment, it's so tempting to begin another project without finishing what already been started. 

Building the body is one thing and painting it, but then there's the bogies, buffers, coupling, transfers, weathering, loads.... :scratchhead:

Whats next?

Quick Q

What's your favoured thickness for the main bodies of your builds?

For my coaching stock I use 0.75mm I find its sturdier than 0.5mm but doesn't look as bulky as 1.0mm

Keep them wagons rollin'

Scott

I use 40thou card for bodies and always have an assortment of strips for detail..

I want to do a version of an engineers train ive seen floating around westbury with this jna falcon and an OBA.. I may use an old Hornby saa underframe to do an OBA. I think its the same measurements.

post-29394-0-99488900-1521593748_thumb.jpg