SCRATCH BUILT MODERN EUROPEAN STYLE WAGONS 4mm ish

• RMweb Gold
On 07/12/2018 at 14:44, Grizz said:

Marco, good job on the NR IOA wagon.

The price tag on the RevolutioN wagons has an 'early bird' of £37ish. It has to be said the detail is outstanding looking at the few photos I have seen. I am very tempted I must admit. The extremely detailed underframe would to help me to understand the works of any wagons I put together. And the ERMEWA grey ones regularly turn up on the Newhaven workings so that is a definate plus for me.

The ones I need are the MRL ones and they’re exclusive to Kernow........at £50 each!!!!! That’s a grand for one rake! I thought I’d be clever and use the Tarmac ones but they don’t have enough ribs

Edited by scoobyra

Marco I think Gabriel had it right, the underframe details are the hardest part to replicate. Mostly because available drawing are few and far between but also because as a scratch build or using sourced casts etc it is disproportionately expensive and thus makes the scratch build less viable.

The addition repetitive factor is usually the reason I don't worry too much, that and the fact the wagons I run will never be viewed from below....apart from when I had a major derailment that lead to a train running at full speed in the oposite direction colliding with the derailed train and wagons finished up on their sides and upside down!

3D printing elements of wagon under frames would seem to be the way forward. If I can get my hands on some design software I might have a go.

In the meantime I have sprayed a coat of varnish over the Railtec transfers.

post-28700-0-24159800-1544367754_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

A bachman shunter has been resurrected from the scrapline this weekend and given a new body.. Been sitting around for a few years. Haven't got the confidence for a sound installation yet! Shes showing off some scratchbuilt balllast wagons. Father christmas may brimg some new JNA at the weekend..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 27/11/2018 at 10:38, scoobyra said:

Here's a bit of good news for you guys. I've asked Andy at Dapol if he can produce some spare JNA and IOA bogies which can be sold separately, to replace damaged ones, or to aid scratch building.....

....he's going to do them on the next production run!

That'll give us Axle Motion 3s and TF25s

I'd say that's a right result  :good:  

Hi scooby, any news on the bogies by any chance... 

On 09/12/2018 at 15:02, Grizz said:

Marco I think Gabriel had it right, the underframe details are the hardest part to replicate. Mostly because available drawing are few and far between but also because as a scratch build or using sourced casts etc it is disproportionately expensive and thus makes the scratch build less viable.

The addition repetitive factor is usually the reason I don't worry too much, that and the fact the wagons I run will never be viewed from below....apart from when I had a major derailment that lead to a train running at full speed in the oposite direction colliding with the derailed train and wagons finished up on their sides and upside down!

3D printing elements of wagon under frames would seem to be the way forward. If I can get my hands on some design software I might have a go.

In the meantime I have sprayed a coat of varnish over the Railtec transfers.

post-28700-0-24159800-1544367754_thumb.jpg

Can we see the rake running.. With a colas 66 please... :-) 

13 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

How many HIA.....?!!!! :-) 

40 HIAs. The red one at the back is yet another part finished project. 

The Dapol HIA is a brilliant runner IMHO. The bogies are solid and stable, even at high speeds. They are heavy wagons but a single Dapol 68 can pull 40 of them even on my layout, which does have a reasonable grade through part of it. The 66 was required to double head because of the weight of additional wagons added to the end of the consist.

Sorry it took so long to upload videos, I know you had asked before but each time I tired it direct to this thread  it would post a message that the file was too big. Even after it had been compressed. My son sorted it in the end. 

How is your project bench? Anything in the pipe line?

• Like 1

I found the best way to do vids is put em on YouTube and paste the link. Looks like what your son has done. 

Not much on the workbench, just maintanence of locos and stock. Although not strictly related to the thread, I am toying with adding a stay alive to my sound shunter after changing the speakers to sugarcubes. 

I am patiently waiting for the Dapol 59 to break cover.. I attempted a Mrl jna but not altogether pleased with it. I may add to the rake of network rail jna or freightliner mfa.. Sooner or later.. Im a bit anxious that the bank balance will be taking a spanking what with all these new models coming... 

One of my Guitar spent a few minutes on the workbench.. New strings and bridge.. :-) 

DSC_1653.JPG

DSC_1625.JPG

DSC_1619.JPG

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Scratch built Locos!! wow .. I may look into building that yeoman shunter one of these days … Nice to see the vids... its good to just get things running. I remember the days of those old Lima and Hornby mechanisms and trying to get them running in the loft.. never could be done .. we are lucky these days..

Edited by Marcoblanco
Spelling

• 3 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:24, scoobyra said:

Marco, do you have the measurements for the JNA-A wagons (NACCO)? I need to make up a box and get it cast in resin.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Scooby.. theres a drawing in John Foxs Book , 'Railway wagon plans' its a decent book . I recommend it as investment for other projects. it is 207 mm long body ,height of body 19mm [at ends. ] different internal measurement due to the plate that runs back from the ends. I find it useful to find a good picture online and make the pic the same size as the bogies your going to use to get the other proportions you need. im sure youl work it out.

Any news on Axle motion bogies from Dapol..?

Unfortunately I missed DEMU this year but I believe John was there showcasing some scratchbuilding techniques.

Mark

• Thanks 1

Anyways i attempted a new TEA, from an old Hornby one. New Tf bogies and a bit of detailing. A better walkway beckons. Difficult to get the right materials for that. Rapidos  Tea was getting very tempting ( had no idea they were being done) otherwise i wouldve spent a bit on them. I see recently one went on ebay for 70squid!!! Having spent a few years 'scratchbuilding' ive noticed that rtr stock is going up in value, especially as there are many smaller suppliers doing one off runs. Its almost better sense to invest money on them than the stock market! Heres my 20quid version.. 

DSC_1859.JPG

DSC_1858.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1