SCRATCH BUILT MODERN EUROPEAN STYLE WAGONS 4mm ish

On 10/09/2023 at 15:14, Marcoblanco said:

Scratchbuild a Polybulk?  I'm sure someone has .. I thought it might be fun..  I know Mr Burkin did it but never really showed how he did it.

Anybody have a tip how to get the curvature on the body, brass? use a former and glue plasticard to it? 

Anyone tried it? 

several folk have either converted the Jouef HO model by sticking two together or scratchbuilding them

various articles have been published over the years on this in the modelling press

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, D9502 said:

several folk have either converted the Jouef HO model by sticking two together or scratchbuilding them

various articles have been published over the years on this in the modelling press

I did  about  ten of them, using Jouef bodies; the bodies were from  'Model Irish Railways', who had a lot of bits from Jouef's short-lived Irish factory.' I also did a pair of the longer type using  Elecrtrotren  covered  hoppers. Sadly, this was one of the types that didn't make it into the Hornby International range.

• Like 1

I’m also surprised that a certain company beginning with B hasn’t done more varieties of Poly Bulk type wagons. Especially given that they’d probs be knocked out for around £100 plus per wagon. That’s why I haven’t ever bothered buying any. I generally run scale length trains and I’m not falling for that! 

There have been a few examples of this type of problem over the years. The years of MK3 sleepers not being made rammed the prices through the roof for a substandard Lima model for years. If you could even get them. 

If Accurascale bring some out Poly Bulks, I’d probs jump in there. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Sometime back I bought a bunch of Heljan Cargowaggon underframes as spares. Just started finishing the first one. Probs going to be as either brake force runners or will have special loads. I’ve filled in the centre of the wagon with styrene and then used patterned styrene to create a steel deck look. Had to scratch build the buffer heads as currently no Heljan spares are available. Looking to build 8 in total, but it might take some time. Using spare Bachmann Y25 bogies, same as those found under their RMC JGAs. 

IMG_3252.jpeg.3d17d4087e1f25b3cd80478eef17549a.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just found a wagon I started a few years ago. Leaf buster type, loco hauled etc and only run as a single vehicle.  Still needs spraying gear attached and spray paint finish. Probs as a European private operator. 

IMG_3293.jpeg.2818c81a36b84512769f1c81aaa9012b.jpeg

IMG_3294.jpeg.241789f325878d979784b061859100a6.jpeg

Also one of the RILS covered bogie wagons I built ages ago, I’ve decide to give it a ‘Cadbury’ purple paint job. Might do it with their Secret Santa campaign logos. Just a bit of fun. 
IMG_3290.jpeg.8034660a6cfb474a75a66e14eb1dcd53.jpeg

IMG_3291.jpeg.2def25954050e2794b92a2d0ff30c753.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...