SCRATCH BUILT MODERN EUROPEAN STYLE WAGONS 4mm ish

Yeah....but no....but yeah but....hahah. Didn't you buy a load off EBay? I bought 400 (200 pairs) recently, no wheels, no couplings but as long as the Bachmann small brass turned wagon wheels are available then I'm ok. But as I said to Richard, work keeps interfering with modelling. So don't know when I'll get to use them yet.

I need to look up what other wagons use them. There must be quite a few types that don't appear in 'The Book'.....

Hope fully some European types.

EKM models had the Bachmann bogies for sale at 50p each loose, or £2 a pair in a packet at the Gaydon show at the weekend, they are usually at Warley, and might even be at Peterbro this coming weekend for those that don't have the same thirst for these bogies as Grizz.

Jon

In fairness I saw it as an investment. They rarely come up, so when they do.....buy big and then find a use for them. I did a similar thing with the Y25s but on a much smaller scale. With hindsight I should have gone bigger......huge regret as they aren't likely to come up again.

Many prototype wagons get rebogied with different types from time to time. So at present I go for a liberal dose of modellers licence. Much of this can be seen in the wagons I build. When RTR wagons are getting to half the price of a loco.....Bachmann Polybulks come to mind, then it's time to build your own. Both of us have commented on the cost of some RTR models.

It's just I don't get enough time to do it. My son asked me what would I do if we won the euro lottery, a really big win, would I still want to have a job etc.

I would still like to have a job, maybe something like I have now but part time; however.....I would also love to travel around Europe by rail, staying for a few days here and there, right next to railways and freight yards (and a brewery or two) and scratch build wagons and stuff. Nothing too complicated but watching it all go by as I relaxed and built. Heyho like that's gonna happen. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant job mate. Looks so good. How long did it take to get the transfer lined up? Did you cut it into pieces of was it a one piece job? What do you use for setting them or do go over spray with varnish? I've started to use an acrylic varnish through an airbrush. Not for the faint hearted and requires a lot of practice. Little and often rather than a huge coat and it needs to be at a distance otherwise it puddles up and forms droplets on the gloss paint.

Can't wait to see it with the bogies painted up. Keep the photos coming.

the main YEOMAN seemed to go on rather smoothly with not much adjusting and only took me a few minutes to manipulate to the right position- luck maybe. Perhaps not perfect but the 'mistakes wont be recognisable to the eye.. I consider all my scratchbuilds to be a good representation of the prototype in my mind because perfection can never be achieved , us modellers have to be pragmatic and accept compromise! I will give them a splash of decal fix and weather em up at the weekend.. maybe even some Graffiti!! noooooooooooooo!!!

Does anyone else scratch build modern wagons? I have built a couple of hundred over the years, nothing proto typical, just generic, European style wagons. 4mm ish.

There are numerous variations of box opens, flats, tanks and covered wagons, usually built in batches.

The basic build is styrene sheet, Evergreen strips and brass and white metal fittings. The bogies are Bachmann picked up in bulk on eBay some years back.

I've never really seen anyone else interested in this kind of scratch building. I have loads of pictures of the various wagons etc. it would be good to get some feed back and also some fresh ideas. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Where did you get the measurements from that smaller db tarpaulin wagon. Edited by crazynitwit

Ah yeah well now you've asked the big question..........

The answer is that I had to guess it to some degree. The reason for guessing it is that the European wagons I build are mounted on UK OO gauge bogies, which is obviously a major compromise to start with. OO gauge not the European wagons. I did stand next to one at Onsabruck once and took a photo, then scaled roughly off my bag which was in the photo, then converted it to 4mm or sort of 4mm. The key is it has to fit the plastic waste pipe (look under your sink) which forms the core of the wagon, which is 35.6mm O/D. Then you have to add the thickness of the styrene sheet and the ribs and the tissue paper. With possibly finally a few microns for the paint finish.....

Massive guess work and plenty of compromise but IMHO, in the final analysis, it just has to 'look right'. Sadly I only got round to building one of this type. Then luckily some two years later along comes the Modern Wagon Drawings book, and a similar wagon is in there. Highly recommend the book. Ask Marco his opinion of the book.....,

Ah yeah well now you've asked the big question..........

The answer is that I had to guess it to some degree. The reason for guessing it is that the European wagons I build are mounted on UK OO gauge bogies, which is obviously a major compromise to start with. OO gauge not the European wagons. I did stand next to one at Onsabruck once and took a photo, then scaled roughly off my bag which was in the photo, then converted it to 4mm or sort of 4mm. The key is it has to fit the plastic waste pipe (look under your sink) which forms the core of the wagon, which is 35.6mm O/D. Then you have to add the thickness of the styrene sheet and the ribs and the tissue paper. With possibly finally a few microns for the paint finish.....

Massive guess work and plenty of compromise but IMHO, in the final analysis, it just has to 'look right'. Sadly I only got round to building one of this type. Then luckily some two years later along comes the Modern Wagon Drawings book, and a similar wagon is in there. Highly recommend the book. Ask Marco his opinion of the book.....,

So to build one I just need to do a lot of guessing. May I ask a couple of questions though.

1: how long is the pipe in the smaller of the two wagons?

2: do you scratch build the chassis or buy it?

Crazynitwit sorry I didn't mean to sound flippant. The best thing is to buy a copy of this book. Even if you don't follow the drawing exactly they help to get a rough idea of scale and angles etc. when I built the hooded types the book hadn't yet come out.

I have no link to the writer or to any of the products that I post about here, they are just the materials and details of things that I use. However this book is very good, I wish the author would write another. It has a short hooded wagon in it. I can't remember the TOPS code for it though.

post-28700-0-49100100-1509602517_thumb.jpg

The chassis is scratch built from Ever Green styrene channel strips and styrene sheet. The pipe I got from my local builders merchant. I use white because it is easy to draw on but the colour doesn't really matter.

I don't have the wagon with me at the moment but I'll try to get the dimensions over the next couple of days. It is quite hard to cut the pipe exactly square at the ends although this doesn't really matter as long as you cut the styrene sheet that forms the hood square so that it fits between the ends of the wagon. The first one of the long hoods I built, I built the chassis first, then added the pipe and then added the ends after.

This is ok but it is easier to build the chassis with the ends in place then cut the pipe to fit. For the first few cut the pipe in a vice with a tennon saw, however I have since invested in a couple of razor saws.

The tissue paper came out of a shoe box.

The big thing my wagons are missing are the hook type locking devices that secure the hoods.

post-28700-0-03550000-1509603785_thumb.jpg

These would be best in brass. Similar to the brass hand brake wheels I use. I know nothing about creating brass frets though.

I'm due in Germany and Denmark soon so I'll try to get some more photos and details of these wagons if I can.

post-28700-0-37778300-1509604427_thumb.jpg

More details of the hook locking system.

There is a great deal of difference in the hoods. Some form tight smooth skins whilst other seem saggy and drape around the support ribs more.

These hoods are a particular favourite of mine.

No problem any time. I am not the worlds expert at this. When I started this thread I thought I was the only person interested in this subject. Every day is a school day. I have learnt a lot from here and been inspired by the others that have contributed with their efforts and experiences and by those that ask questions.

Going through my layout and the piles of boxes I found a couple of efforts at early wagon building from 20 years ago. I'll take some photos and post them when I get time. Should be good for a laugh if nothing else.......still I hope that I have improved since then

Marco, unless I got hold of the wrong end of the stick, Crazynitwit made them using a 3D printer.

On another subject I got some photos of 'EANOS' at Moorsburger (Hamburg Harburg) yesterday. The variations are staggering. No two wagons appear the same. There are common aspects to each but it is a minefield when it comes to lettering, grab handles, steps, bogies and damage. It took these photos to help with the weathering and detailing on the ones I built earlier in the year.

post-28700-0-55097900-1510042915_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-16885600-1510042958_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-10424300-1510042988_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-68452200-1510043085_thumb.jpgpost-28700-0-82924300-1510043173_thumb.jpgpost-28700-0-17988000-1510043251_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

GBRf have ordered some similar wagons, painted in their dark blue livery with the company initials in large yellow letters. A trainload should be arriving, via the Channel Tunnel, in the next few days.

If you're interested in views of opens from high angles then this site might be of interest:-

https://lapassiondutrain.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Wagons