SCRATCH BUILT MODERN EUROPEAN STYLE WAGONS 4mm ish

have worked on the body for an older cargowaggon from the 1950's, but need to find a longer 4 wheel chassis. Might bodge something, but not sure. Am possibly looking to build some more modern cargowaggons, but not sure. Your work looks great though, looks realistic and would fit in on a speedlink blockfreight working

Hi Mathew, do you have a photos of the wagon body you've been working on? I've made a few 2 axled cargo wagons using the W Irons etc from the Hornby VDA.

post-28700-0-25646200-1468569796_thumb.jpg

I bought a load of them once from Burnley Spares. It is the sort of thing that allows scratch builders to have a go at at project fairly easily. I guess it is because with the running gear part of the wagon it is the essential that it works properly or else there is little point in continuing with it.

Although I have built wagon underfames from scratch in the past it is far easier to knock something up if you already have the hardest part sorted.......perhaps that says more about my modelling skills than I would like.

THe spring units from the triang Hornby ferry van would be more appropriate as they have the UIC douple link spring hangers, rather than the BR derived single link hangers.

The Hornby VDA might make quite a good bare shell for a DB Hfs type van as its a bit shorter than the UIC type 3 van that was commonly constructed (as well as the BR van the SNCF Belgians and others had vans to these principle dimensions).

Jon

• Like 1

post-28700-0-63197600-1468758975_thumb.jpg

Finally found it......this is a scratch built project that I had a go at but as it was just made up as I went along it never got finished. It runs ok and uses the ferry wagon axle boxes etc as Jon described.

I supposed it was a sort of what might have been modern short wheel based on a European style.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These are a couple of freelance wagons that I build some years ago, that have been re sprayed as the original yellow and dark blue was a little odd.......I really don't know what I was thinking

post-28700-0-37253600-1469532317_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-79165900-1469532419_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-04373600-1469532441_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-85105400-1469532459_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-64570300-1469532563_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well it has been a great summer holiday in DK, although due to enjoying family type stuff I only got the wagons started. With hindsight 20 wagons was probably fairly ambitious. Again the great modern wagon drawings bible was call into service. This time in the shape of MMAs. These are on ex BBA frames. Only difference is I don't have enough Y25s, so they are on TF25s instead..........modern upgrade......

post-28700-0-85996200-1474221627_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-32203100-1474221723_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-73134100-1474221741_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

It was meant to read MVA.........

The hopper wagon was based at a private yard in Lengerich near Osnabrück in Germany. So worth a a visit if your are ever near the area, as it serves a nearby cement works. There was a small 040 shunter trundling over the main road whilst we were there. Also a privatised ex DB 'Rabbit' class 218 ambled through the main station, close to the narrow gauge railway museum......wow never covered so many subjects in one post.

The first two sprayed MVA wagons, with TF25 bogies, ready for the open box container to be installed. I haven't made any of the boxes yet but looking at the available photos and using the modern wagon drawing bible, it looks to be a very simple styrene sheet and Evergreen job.

As shown previously these wagons were made from 0.5mm and 1mm styrene sheet, this made them too light weight to propel, a fairly well known issue even with some RTR wagons. The solution was to resort to a small section of 2mm lead left over from a reroofing project. Each piece was super glued to the under side of the chassis between the frames. As these are only ever likely to run on my layouts lead isn't really a problem as long as you remember to wash your hands before you eat.........

post-28700-0-54282100-1474893972_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-66530800-1474894036_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well it's time to build wagons again........

The 'Railway Wagon Plans' is so inspiring. I thought I'd have a go at so ferry wagons or at least bogie covered wagons of that type. Unfortunately I don't have enough of the O&K type bogies found under many of the types I'd like to model. Should anyone reading this have any influence with Heljan or any other major manufacturer of RTR wagons ,please please please can you start selling more wagon bogies separate, without wheels, or couplings if necessary. I'd love to buy loads, hundreds or may be even a couple of thousand if the price is right.

The only ones RTR that I can get at present are the Bachmann Y25s that go under container flats. These are great but expensive at around £11 a pair, they'd age wheels but don't have couplings and aren't always suitable. Some older Hornby types are occasionally available but these don't really cover the types of wagons I model. So at present I am stuck with an ever decreasing supply of Bachmann larger Y25s and quite a few TF25s, although the later type don't always look right.

This is the type of wagon I want to have a go at a Habbis. The photo isn't mine, thank you kindly to whoever took it and posted it on the Internet.

This has the larger Y25s.

post-28700-0-99132700-1482330041_thumb.jpg

My attempt has got to this so far.

post-28700-0-16087400-1482330194_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-96634700-1482330219_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure if S-Kits don't do these. If not, you could always try Dapol, who did them on the VTG coil carrier, or Hurst Models (likewise). When I did one of the VTG Coil Carriers, which was in an article in Railway Modeller 33 years ago, I used Fleischmann bogies- 1/82 scale as opposed to 1/76, but the best I could get at the time.

Cambrian do a very nice y25 that I believe is a one piece moulding these days - it used to be a multi-part assembly that was a bit difficult to build square, so I did an etched inner for it (shameless plug) there must be a lot of these bogies salted away in draws all over the country.

post-336-0-77560300-1482358937.jpg

post-336-0-16359700-1482358938.jpg

post-336-0-71882000-1482358938.jpg

Jon

• Like 1

Brian, Pete, Jon. Many thanks for the suggestions, I'll be digging into them further in the new year. The shape ways one looks interesting, also somewhere else on RMWeb I stumbled across mention that the Cambrian bogies are now supplied as a one piece unit, rather the old fold it up job. I've seen one or two of these on eBay and they seem to be an improvement but I'd like to see one in person to ensure that it would suit my requirements. IMHO it is absolutely essential to have good running gear because no matter how accurate the model is, if it doesn't run properly you have wasted your time. I am fairly lazy when it comes to the modelling of running gear for this very reason and will always go for a proven product rather than try to adapt something or make something myself.

I think I'll also see if any of the major manufacturers are interested in supplying separately, or at least what the minimum order requirements are. Although my hopes aren't high in this direction..........

It was pure chance that I managed to pick up a few hundred of the TF25s a few years ago on eBay, albeit without wheels and couplings. Since then the odd few pairs turn up but now much more than I paid for them. I have had to removed and modify the brake blocks as the smallest available Bachmann wheels, 36-030, are a fraction too big.

As for the larger Y25s, again without wheels or couplings, I bought these through Peter's Spares. However it looks like I bought up the last supplies earlier this year and they aren't getting anymore in as this was a special one off arrangement.

Many thanks again for your help.

Festive Regards to all.........

• Like 1

The first of the wagons nears completion of the styrene main structure. It has been requested by my son Thor that it carries 'Thor Rail DK' branding, complete with 'Thor's Hammer' logo. His justification is that is was built to UK loading gauge, for use on BR and DSB networks, and for forwarding between Harwich and Estbjerg via the ferry route......which sadly no longer operates.

The roof is built using 0.5mm styrene sheet. It is then gently scored and folded along the score lines to produce the desired roof profile. To ensure the correct width is obtained a 20mm wide strip of 0.5mm was used and tried in place before cutting the full sheet.

I have since discovered a great website 'Transwaggon.de' , which if you open on the home page and go to the LH side and click on wagon, leads to a page with PdF files containing technical data sheets including some photos and scale drawings.

I'm again using the Genesis Models rectangular white metal buffers. Once the wagon is sprayed up these give a good representation of the type found on most of the wagons I model. These are super glued into place. Before running any of the wagons, I always wipe the axle boxes inside with a dollop of Molly grease. This helps to minimise wear to the plastic from the pointed axle ends of the metal wheels.

. post-28700-0-99690300-1482925162_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A little more progress, the roof has been installed, the main frames, buffers and end framing. The two photos below show the wagon with two bogie possibilities. Y25 and TF25........

I haven't made my mind up yet. I'm leaning toward the TF25 as these look more up to date and a bit different. They are also more free rolling than the Y25s even with the Molly grease.

The brass rod around the main frame represents the door securing or fastening system, although this requires further detailing. Due to the method of styrene construction these wagons are quite heavy without any extra weight being added. Despite their height and length these wagons run well without any shuddering or rolling. Joeff made a covered coil wagon with the tarpaulin cover modelled half way open and showing the steel coil load. I might have a go at modelling a Habbinss with the doors half open and a load visible, although this would only be for shunting around a yard as it couldn't be run on the main line in the open position.

post-28700-0-62982800-1483010009_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-72456100-1483010034_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work. I've done the VTG F2 and F3 types, which are hefty beasts. I believe S-kits do the Ringfelder buffers; the sort where the narrower bit of the buffer is in the opposite position to normal. A former colleague, who had been VTG's man in the UK, said the Germans and Austrians preferred buffers like this on mountainous routes.

This site might be of interest to you:-  http://www.tosh-railways.com/Wagons

Wow both websites are fantastic. The Astrarail has 3D revolving images of wagons.

So many different types to choose from to build........there just isn't enough time.......no justice.

On a slightly different track....When Bachmann first brought out the two axle VGAs I bought 10 or so. They are nicely detailed and ran ok for a while but even with greased axle boxes they eventually succumbed to derailments through wear to the plastic moulding from the metal wheels.

As with most things these days no replacement parts were ever made available, so I ended up with a rake of fairly modern, detail and not inexpensive freight stock dumped at the back of my layout. That is until I got hold of a spare pair of Bachmann Y25 bogies with turned brass wheels. I only converted one and then this was only as a prototype to see if it looked any good, at least then I could use it. The original also required good track geometry. Similar to the real thing. As a PWay inspector I attended a derailment of a VGA due to excessive twist in the track, the long wheel base not flexible enough to compensate. They also had terrible wheel screech and caused side wear to the gauge corner of tight radius curved track.

post-28700-0-52358300-1483638427_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-39538000-1483638453_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-18515900-1483638480_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-20312000-1483638510_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

JRA ex CTRL Spoil Wagon. One of two so far. Although I'm not sure where to get the transfers. It won't matter too much as it will end up looking distressed' anyway.

Hello Grizz, must i say excellent work and pics i love anything & everything scratch built thou i'm not that good yet i try on smaller things and see how i get on.

Its the build that i get enjoyment out of so i have loads of wagons with finished bodies / chassis's but no small details lol ;) i'll get round to finishing the majority one day.

But 1st i'd like to cast the main body in resin so i have a little rake of my chosen stock but that again i'm new too and don't want to start mixing and pouring away till i know what i'm doing?

Anyways on the JRA Box Wagon is it the T.R Decals your after? As Precision Labels / Decals does this pack if so :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwpeakdaleworkscom/10443744856/sizes/l

Thanks

Rich

P.S that Bible you have doesn't by any chance have Bardon JGA / PHA Hopper wagon measurements in does it? ;) :)

Morning Richard 60098. Thanks for your comments. I too love scratch building, it is very satisfying, for me the main issues are the time available to me these days and the material costs have risen massively in the past five years. I used to be able to pick up Ever Green strip fairly cheaply, but I'm now paying around £4 to £4.50 per pack, which is now starting get a bit pricey.

When I first started, probably like most people, I wanted models of things I saw ever day or I really like, but RTR wasn't like it is now and there was so much not available. Modern RTR wagons in particular were thin on the ground. It seemed that the real thing had to be scrapped or no longer on the real railway for at least 20 years or so before any manufacturers would consider making one, if at all.

The other main reason was cost. I started by knocking up a fairly cheap rake of simple open box wagons using styrene and Dapol Esso tank wagon chassis with roller bearings fairly cheaply. Also I then used the tank bodies for Diesel fuelling points etc. I still have a few of these wagons, however they are fitted with hideously over sized Hornby style couplings, all that was available for years, until NEM pockets came along. I would seriously recommend anyone considering starting to scratch build trying this method, although there obviously there are other manufacturers of 'plastic kits', this is a fairly easy one to start with. You can build it as per the instructions but just don't put the body on the chassis. Also add top hat bearings and change the wheels if you like, or not if you don't.

In answer to your question re the bible and drawings of wagon types, please see below.

post-28700-0-49630300-1487325674_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-08492900-1487325696_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps. I have no connection with the Author, but this is a fantastic book and I hope he decides to write another........

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpg

JRA ex CTRL Spoil Wagon. One of two so far. Although I'm not sure where to get the transfers. It won't matter too much as it will end up looking distressed' anyway.

Looks as good as mine lol!! Can You tell me where you got the buffers and lashing points and the hooks from please!!?