SCRATCH BUILT MODERN EUROPEAN STYLE WAGONS 4mm ish

Marco, I took the photos of the double headed 59s at Hamsey AHBC just north of Lewes. The train engine 59104 failed at Lewes on the Up Newhaven to Acton Ash train. It blocked the Up Main platform for over two hours before 59102 was sent to assist. But as the Central division has no loco depot, the nearest loco would have been already on its own train at either Crawley New Yard, Purley Yard, somewhere in between or it may have had to come over from Acton Mainline Yard.

The result was spectacular as 59102 dragged 59104 and the load train up Hamsey bank.

These days the Newhaven ash runs with random rakes, although that said both types of the silver JNAs you are building seem to show up most.

It has even run with those new dark blue JNAs. On a couple of occasions it ran with two axled MEAs. The noisiest rake is the one made up of old JXAs / KEAs etc.

Oddly enough as I have been writing this the down Newhaven ash has just passed Hamsey but sadly I wasn't quick enough to look out the back door. By the sounds of it it wasn't the older rake of wagons as it was much too quiet.

Before you mentioned it I hadn't really noticed the differing lengths of the silver JNAs. I'll have to pay more attention when passing Crawley New Yard on the way up and back from work.

a double headed 59! just noticed that..  alas I think it was just an operational reason... theres no way a uk train would need 2 59s! I believe the shiny JNAs with the small MRL sign are very new, perhaps even this year..? I am constructing a few of the older type circa yr 2000 with the large MRL motif. 

If you see two 59s at the head, it's either a positioning move or a failed loco. Even the 5000t+ 'Jumbo' trains to Acton only use one loco.

Wow a 59 failing.. Thats nearly as bad as bwm car!!

Spookily I believe I saw 59 102 pass basingstoke yesterday, (wed)pm at 16.10..

I know what you mean about quietness of the newer wagons.. Ive stood next to a train of IOA passing at westbury and you can hear a pin drop.. EU standards.. God bless em!!

Grizz , I have bought the bible , I am converted , praise the Lord.

I am looking at doing something a bit more complicated bodywise next.

I've seen the HOA at Westbury along with JHA I think . The HOA isn't included in the bible but there is a drawing on the Astra wbsite. I see this as the next step.

Have you ever scratch built tank wagons? I was thinking of also attempting a TUA -larger type of tta with different suspension. But finding tube section is difficult. I may 'cut and shut' old Hornby TTA and reuse the underframes...

I've seen the HOA at Westbury along with JHA I think . The HOA isn't included in the bible but there is a drawing on the Astra wbsite. I see this as the next step.

Have you ever scratch built tank wagons? I was thinking of also attempting a TUA -larger type of tta with different suspension. But finding tube section is difficult. I may 'cut and shut' old Hornby TTA and reuse the underframes...

Rather than search amongst the Evergreen stocks, it might be an idea to look at things like plastic waste pipes to find something of the right diameter.

Marco great to hear you've converted! Hallelujah! It really is a great book.

Plastic waste pipe scratch build prototypes.......mostly done to see if I could get anything 4mm ish European Style to look half sensible.....

post-28700-0-29032200-1493223962_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-90643200-1493223984_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-03535900-1493224009_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-44574600-1493224035_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-86863000-1493224095_thumb.jpg

Something a bit different, but still involving pipes....sort of.

post-28700-0-35920200-1493224123_thumb.jpg

And 5 of 25 that don't involve pipes.

post-28700-0-08387800-1493224189_thumb.jpg

The pipe is standard waste pipe, the big issue is that I didn't want to pay loadsasmuy for scale sized pipe. Therefore I went for a compromise. The ends of the DB tank are nylon stop ends from tables etc. again this was a cheap option as I was just experimenting. It is possible to buy pipe and ends etc to make a close to scale 4mm tank wagon from various manufacturers but it comes at a price, which kinda goes against one of the reasons for scratch building.

There is one other tank I've done but it is currently stuck at the other end of the layout due to major engineering works, or the need to take up all the running roads due to forgetting to provide access to the low voltage bathroom ceiling light transformers. DOH!!!!

post-28700-0-81569700-1493224777_thumb.jpg

Arr nice.. I am one of the disciples...

Are the bogies tankers based on a prototype or freelance..??

Ive put tank wagons on the back burner for the minute. Started on a IOA.

They are part free lance. I took masses of photos in Hamburg last year. There is a large freight yard full of tanks north west of Harburg. Unlike the UK there is completely unfenced and free access, particularly when you take a bright brand new hi viz jacket, from the road to the yard.

As said it really was an exersise into what could be built and look half reasonable. The ends are the issue, possibly cast resin would work best to achieve that domed end. The bottom of Beer / Cider cans can be used to glue to plastic pipe, although the quantity of super glue needed is a bit hazardous and it isn't quite enough of a dome. Not bad though.

IOA sounds great. I see DB UK have announced more MMAs are to be built. They look good in DB Red......

Marco wow outstanding mate. The body profile looks perfect. Again you have really captured the look of the prototype.

What thickness of styrene did you use for the sides? I usually use 0.5mm and form hopper sides in one piece by scoring then folding. Tipex makes great fine filler for all the small joins.

Please keep posting photos of your wagons, it really does inspire.......At the moment it is just finding the time to get any modelling done.....flipping work keeps getting in the way.

Are you doing your own transfer decals?

Marco wow outstanding mate. The body profile looks perfect. Again you have really captured the look of the prototype.

What thickness of styrene did you use for the sides? I usually use 0.5mm and form hopper sides in one piece by scoring then folding. Tipex makes great fine filler for all the small joins.

Please keep posting photos of your wagons, it really does inspire.......At the moment it is just finding the time to get any modelling done.....flipping work keeps getting in the way.

Are you doing your own transfer decals?

I use 40 thou at the moment for basic structure building. I will take on board using tipex for filler.. maybe you've spotted something Ive missed lol!!

I've ordered some bits from wizard models and hopefully looking at doing a PAA as seen in the 'Bible' Meanwhile I have some finishing off and painting to do on the HOA.

A friend of mine has a top notch printer and has been kind enough to experiment at doing some transfers for the mendip HOA, as they're not available commercially. Its just a matter of 'guestimating' the dimensions from a photo and doing a trial run.

I think I read in one of Nigel Burkins book how plasticard can be bent to a profile by immersing in hot water, is this true and do you have a method for producing curved bodies. ?

• RMweb Premium

I use 40 thou at the moment for basic structure building. I will take on board using tipex for filler.. maybe you've spotted something Ive missed lol!!

I've ordered some bits from wizard models and hopefully looking at doing a PAA as seen in the 'Bible' Meanwhile I have some finishing off and painting to do on the HOA.

A friend of mine has a top notch printer and has been kind enough to experiment at doing some transfers for the mendip HOA, as they're not available commercially. Its just a matter of 'guestimating' the dimensions from a photo and doing a trial run.

I think I read in one of Nigel Burkins book how plasticard can be bent to a profile by immersing in hot water, is this true and do you have a method for producing curved bodies. ?

Hi

I have bent plasticard using the hot water technique for rooves in N the tricky part is finding something suitable to form the plastic over. I use a piece of 22mm copper pipe and tape the blank to it using sellotape. Place the tube in the washing up bowl and pour boiling water from the kettle over it. Leave for a few minutes then run under the cold tap.

Cheers

Paul

Ok Thanks Paul. Ive been thinkin about other projects of more difficult curved wagons. Maybe il try the method sooner ir later. I was toying with the idea of using the method for an attempt at PAA hopper. But may resort to structure the sides up with joins and fill in the joins with filler. Of course I Could convert existing Hornby /lima pga but that isnt as much fun and is costly. Not that im watchin the pennies lol!

Marco you are truly the Wagon Master Brilliant job mate.

Was the book any help? The PPA is a very complex shape, I always struggle to get the ends to line up. My son suggested making up wagons in three horizontal sections to try to reduce the errors in my cutting. This only really works if the wagon has a closed top or is going to be modelled with a load.

I don't know the history of this wagon type possibly because they didn't often run in the 'Deep South,..... That or I haven't been paying attention.

Are the PPAs anything like PGAs?????

At Purley Day Aggregates yesterday morning there was 66006 on a real mix, PGAs, 'Brett' Wagons and ex RMC Orange JGAs in one train. A very odd combination, but I have noticed that the aggregate trains on the Central Division seem to be running with less and less uniformed rakes these days. For me this is great as it means I don't have to sit for hours trying to get dozens of perfect copies of each type.

What's next Marco? I watched your video of the shutting, your Mendip JNA looks great with the logos.

Mmmmmm just passed Purley yard again and 66120 had a similar rake of wagons to yesterday but with just one PGA, mid train, and one DB Red ex RMC JGA amongst the Brett's and Orange RMC JGAs.

The PAA wagon is converted or based on pga. Yes the shape is complex and difficult. I got the top bit slightly wrong. Its in the bible.I have some finishing off to do on the HOA and scrap JNA, adding transfers. Not sure whats next.. I have lots of suspension units for the pga/ PAA so may add to the rake. When new wagons are starting to reach the £40 mark it makes sense to keep develope the building. Im looking to visit DEMU at burton and getting bogies for jya hopper and for PTA off s-kits..

• 3 weeks later...

These have been turning up at Crawley New Yard for a while now. Mostly in the afternoon. They have no loco with them by the time I go past them, it just seems to turn up dump them and go. The only branding I can see on the wagons is the VTG logo. I would like to build a few of these....anyone know what they are and what the working is?

post-28700-0-37244200-1496207749_thumb.jpg

The Down Newhaven Ash train was a GBRF 66 this morning with ERMEWA JNAs. This is occasionally turning up although I'm not sure why. Again I would like a few of these.