Rolling Stock for South Pelaw Junction

All the windows are going to be replaced with Laserglaze once I'm sure I'm not going to add any more weathering...

John

I have one to do too.

Just wasn't sure if the Laserglaze kits for the Bachmann loco also work well on the SLW loco. I understood that the windows are slightly different - or can you get them specifically for the SLW loco?

• RMweb Gold

Lovely job on the class 24's (and everything else). I have a note about seeing 5103 in green and 5102 in blue on the iron ore run, I'm guessing it was early 1970. I always thought it would be good to model that but it's just out of my period. I'm enjoying seeing your efforts and am following.

Regards,

Tom

• 9 months later...
Starting a new project and I've resolved to complete it before I move on to anything else...

And here it is, Bachmann's Class 46 which is going to become 46026:

IMG_0655.jpg

I fitted a set of Ultrascale wheels a good while ago but it never ran satisfactorily as the pony truck kept derailing on turnouts mainly due to a lack of weight so, to overcome that, I have the Penbits sprung bogie kit:

IMG_0659.jpg

Additional details courtesy of Shawplan:

IMG_0657.jpg

It's also going to require a fair number of modifications to the body (body side steps need plating over for starters) and the roof details are different as well.

The real loco on the day I'm modelling it (photo by Stephen McGahon):

img760.jpg

And other photos of it from pretty much every angle on my website here http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/?page_id=1787 so not too many excuses for getting the details wrong...
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
What will become 31319 has had a coat of primer which has highlighted that the body stripe needs to thinned down quite a bit and that the damage at the bottom of the noses (the body is from a loco that suffered from chassis rot) needs to be sorted out.  Finish is a bit dusty as well but will be rubbed down before the next coat of paint...

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues on the bogies, this time with the start of the bolsters.

The two parts at the top start off as a single etch and 12 folds and a bit of solder later look like what you see in the photo:

IMG_0775.jpg

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

It's been a very long time since I updated this thread but I have been working on a couple of wagon projects over the last week or so.  First up, I've been adding lamps to my fleet of brake vans using the superb examples from Modelu:

IMG_1636.jpeg

When it came out a couple of years ago, I bought the Hornby Magazine/Dapol brake tender as they found a lot of use on the Consett line in the 1960s.  It ended up getting put to one side when I discovered that the bogies could not take the 26mm axles required for the conversion to P4.  I dug it out again last week with a view to seeing what could be done and, with a bit of butchery and the use of an axle box drill from Knowle Model Works, I was able to drill out the bearing holes to accommodate the axles.

IMG_1655.jpeg

Converted on the left, standard OO on the right:

IMG_1656.jpeg

3 links and a representation of the guard irons have been added and weathering has begun.  It is hard to know when to stop with the weathering as I have a photo of one of these in service and it is completely covered in brake dust to the extent that you cannot see the livery at all.

IMG_1667.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

IMG_1669.jpeg

John

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, johndon said:

It has been pointed out, thanks Mark, that the lamps on either side of the brake van should have white lamps rather than red, this will be corrected.

Should they?  I always thought brake van side lamps showed red to the rear and white to the front!

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, johndon said:

Having said that, here is a photo from my website and the lamp on the right hand side appears to be showing white to the rear or at least the lamp lens appears to be much lighter than the centre lamp...

post-19218-0-00576800-1399821718.jpg

Won't the side lamps have coloured slides in them to change them as necessary and the tail lamp will have a red lens (which it does)? Also should the side lamps be a different shape to the tail?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, johndon said:

It's been a very long time since I updated this thread but I have been working on a couple of wagon projects over the last week or so.  First up, I've been adding lamps to my fleet of brake vans using the superb examples from Modelu:

IMG_1636.jpeg

When it came out a couple of years ago, I bought the Hornby Magazine/Dapol brake tender as they found a lot of use on the Consett line in the 1960s.  It ended up getting put to one side when I discovered that the bogies could not take the 26mm axles required for the conversion to P4.  I dug it out again last week with a view to seeing what could be done and, with a bit of butchery and the use of an axle box drill from Knowle Model Works, I was able to drill out the bearing holes to accommodate the axles.

IMG_1655.jpeg

Converted on the left, standard OO on the right:

IMG_1656.jpeg

3 links and a representation of the guard irons have been added and weathering has begun.  It is hard to know when to stop with the weathering as I have a photo of one of these in service and it is completely covered in brake dust to the extent that you cannot see the livery at all.

IMG_1667.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

IMG_1669.jpeg

John

Less is more. There are some things on the real railway that look incongruous in model form. I think weathering is one of them.

I weathered A4 Guillemot with a photograph as reference. It was in a filthy (Gateshead) condition. I tried to copy it faithfully. The prototype looked bad, the model looked terrible.  

Edited by RBAGE
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Less is more. There are some things on the real railway that look incongruous in model form. I think weathering is one of them.

I weathered A4 Guillemot with a photograph as reference. It was in a filthy (Gateshead) condition. I tried to copy it faithfully. The prototype looked bad, the model looked terrible.  

I agree, I'm going to put the brake tender to one side for a week or and then come back to it to see if I think it needs any more...

3 hours ago, johndon said:

Looks like I need to invest in some side lamps which I knew nothing about an hour or so ago :)

Quite so.  The side lamps are double-ended (white glass one face, red the other - I have one of the real ones) with sockets on both sides to fit the side brackets on a brake van.  I think I'm right in saying that for an unfitted goods, the side-lamps would be mounted with the red facing the rear and white facing forward: this was so that at night the engine crew could look back every so often to see the white light to check that their train was still complete.  For a fully-fitted goods the side lamps were not required, as a train becoming divided would mean parting of the vacuum bags and the resulting brake application would alert the engine crew !  So in the pic above the presence of side lamps on the brake at the rear of what looks like a Consett iron-ore train (which I understand were fully braked) is surprising, unless there were special regulations for these workings.

As I understand it, when an unfitted goods was "put inside" a loop or refuge siding at night, the guard would turn round the side lamp nearest the running line to display a white light to the rear, to indicate to an overtaking train that it wasn't on the same line.  Presumably the guard of a fully-fitted goods would have to remove the single tail lamp for the same reason, but perhaps some-one on here more kowledgeable than me can confirm?

Alasdair