Today, 50 Years Ago (S&DJR)

Well that video taken Sunday answered one question about getting the ballasting ( jacking, packing etc) finished before hand - well, up to the distant anyway, hope they don't have any problems with the springs on the locos.

No problems with any of the springs on the locos - we are always looking for extra hands to assist in the P'way department so please feel free to come and join us!

Cheers,

Stephen

There's an excellent article in this month's "Pines Express" (No. 280; Spring 2016) detailing the 'Countdown to Closure.'  It is written by Jonathan Edwards

It gives various reasons for the eventual shutdown...sorry to dispel the almost inevitable  conspiracy theorists, but it wasn't all the fault of the BR (W) region according to Jonathan.

Well worth perusing.

BW

Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Readers of this thread might like to peruse "Somerset and Dorset Swansong" published by Wild Swan.

Apart from discussing the op, it also includes an account and a picture of the Rolls Royce Olympus testing at Winsor Hill based upon a detailed article that Bob Bunyar (the book's author)  managed to track down. The article was written by the development test engineer for the tests.

Four engines were tested to destruction in the tunnel between July 1968 and November 1969. I do not think that this was linked to Concorde development (based upon reading the article) it was instead to do with the problem of turbine breakout in Vulcan bombers.

In any event, "Concorde" first flew on March 2nd 1969.

The book is however mostly about the S&D!

Simon

What I am about to write may well bore a lot of you so...."look away now."

Had to miss all the commemorations over 4/5/6 March as I could not get down to Somerset and Dorset that weekend. However was down in Bournemouth from 7-13 March and did manage to get over to Washford and Minehead on the 10 March for the start of the second week of commemoration. Excellent day out. Saw 44422, 53809, 80072 pretending to be 80043, 34046 pretending to be 34098, an 8F, and Kilmersdon in steam Failed to see 53808, a loco i have never seen in steam or out of it. Disappointing as I did help with a small amount of funding for its first restoration. A grand day out all told. Followed by a nice couple of hours at Shillingstone with brother and sister and partners on Saturday 12th. Two USA 0-6-0T locos are stabled there out of steam, one that used to be in steam at Swanage namely 30075.

On 5th March 1966 my oldest friend and I (both aged 12 and a bit) travelled northwards from Bailey Gate for the first and as it proved the last time. We had gone southwards plenty of times. We wanted to go northwards to Bath GP but the emergency timetable, lack of funds, and more importantly parental disapproval allowed us only to go to Templecombe as we had to be back for teatime!!!!. I say only to Templecombe but we had a great day out leaving Bailey Gate just after 7-00am on a frosty morning and getting to Templecombe soon after 8-00am hauled by 80138. We were immediately greeted by Warship D800 Sir Brian Robertson arriving on a London bound train. Oh! excitement - a Warship - we were only used to Bulleids and Standards at Bournemouth on spotting trips!!! Templecombe was quite crowded that day though I have seen only one photo published (are there any more?). A trip to the loco shed revealed 48760 which had arrived earlier and the twins 75072 and 75073 (both with their connecting rods shoved through their firedoors). Back home to Bailey Gate soon after 4-00pm and home for tea, hauled by 76026. At 10-10pm that evening, way beyond the rostered time, the last train came down southwards with 80138 pulling six very packed coaches and watched and cheered by about half the village watching this history pass away. 

There were some movements later of course, goods and excursions, and later demolition trains. My last trip was in a Crompton in 1970 from the railhead at Bailey Gate to Bailey Gate Crossing, then a walk home.  After that was silence.

My friend later wrote about this trip in the S&DRT Bulletin (number forgotten). Sady he could not join us on our days out as he is very ill.

Sadly, Paul, did not have enough time to visit Blandford Museum on Saturday to view your model of Blandford Forum. Did see a good write up and presentation of it in last month's Model Rail though. Please say hello to Dave C for me. He knew my parents well. Incidentally I am in (as a 16yo) in one of his pictures in Jeffrey Grayson's S&D books (not the Final Glimpse issues) where we all stood on a Class 33 to help its traction when pushing demo trains up the incline from Bailey Gate. 

Geoff

Slight amend to post 29 above - the rebuilt West Country pacific masquerading as 34098 Templecombe was 34053 Sir Keith Park in real life not 34046 Braunton. Must get out more......to see more Bulleids....ha hah aha ha hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Apologies if you know this...Michael Portillo was in Wellow station yesterday being filmed for his programme on the closure of the S&D. Ivo's Bentley was there as well after being filmed at the Charlton Rd viaduct.

Does anyone know anymore?

Richard.

Apologies if you know this...Michael Portillo was in Wellow station yesterday being filmed for his programme on the closure of the S&D. Ivo's Bentley was there as well after being filmed at the Charlton Rd viaduct.

Richard.

S&DRHT at Midsomer Norton was visited mid-Feb and was given early June as the likely time for program broadcast.

• RMweb Gold

Richard.

I wonder who lives there now? Presumably the artist Sir Peter Blake and/or his descendants are no longer the owners?

I wonder who lives there now? Presumably the artist Sir Peter Blake and/or his descendants are no longer the owners?

No, he sold it and the barn at the top of Station Rd some time ago although he still owns some of the land between the station and the former goods yard. For some reason this year he has fenced it off. The station is now owned by two ladies.

Richard.

On 6th March 1966 the RCTS special traversed the Branch to Highbridge, then onto the ex-GWR main line for the trip back to Bristol. Looking at the published photographic record, some questions come to mind:-

1. On arrival at Highbridge the two Ivatt tanks pulled the train right up into the spur at the west end of the S&D platform. So, in order to get across the main line afterwards, they would have had to propel the train back out a short distance in order to clear the facing point towards the flat crossing. So why did they not just stop short of it?

2. Were all the passengers required to de-train while the train was shunted between the S&D and (G)WR lines?

3. Once across the flat crossing the only available route was into the goods shed, most unusual for a passenger train. Are there any photos of it passing through the shed? – I don’t recall seeing any.

4. Once the last carriage was within the goods shed clear of the pointwork, then the train could have reversed back to reach the slip crossover to the (G)WR Down Main. Did it do that, or did it go all the way through the shed and then reverse back along the adjacent siding between the shed and the main line?

• RMweb Premium

The same sequence presumably happened with the Mendip Merchantman tour on 1/1/1966. 
1/2.  If everyone had to disembark – and the pictures show that many did – was it anything to do with platform length?
3/4.  Not quite what you want, but I did take a picture of the Ivatt tanks on 1/1/1966 reversing the coaches off the shed road back over the slip crossover towards the WR down platform:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tingleytim/25958688411/in/album-72157661991849831/
Looking closely shows that the leading loco is coming off the goods shed road and not the adjacent siding. No sign of anyone in the first two coaches.

• RMweb Gold

On 6th March 1966 the RCTS special traversed the Branch to Highbridge, then onto the ex-GWR main line for the trip back to Bristol. Looking at the published photographic record, some questions come to mind:-

1. On arrival at Highbridge the two Ivatt tanks pulled the train right up into the spur at the west end of the S&D platform. So, in order to get across the main line afterwards, they would have had to propel the train back out a short distance in order to clear the facing point towards the flat crossing. So why did they not just stop short of it?

2. Were all the passengers required to de-train while the train was shunted between the S&D and (G)WR lines?

3. Once across the flat crossing the only available route was into the goods shed, most unusual for a passenger train. Are there any photos of it passing through the shed? – I don’t recall seeing any.

4. Once the last carriage was within the goods shed clear of the pointwork, then the train could have reversed back to reach the slip crossover to the (G)WR Down Main. Did it do that, or did it go all the way through the shed and then reverse back along the adjacent siding between the shed and the main line?

Tsk, you've obviously not bought the book yet then.......

Not Jeremy, on 25 Mar 2016 - 22:17, said:

Tsk, you've obviously not bought the book yet then.......

Waiting for the Easter discount :-)

>>>3/4.  .....I did take a picture of the Ivatt tanks on 1/1/1966 reversing the coaches off the shed road back over the slip crossover towards the WR down platform:

https://www.flickr.c...57661991849831/ Looking closely shows that the leading loco is coming off the goods shed road and not the adjacent siding.

Thanks for that, though clearly you can see more midst all the steam than I can!

Peter Kazmierczak, on 27 Mar 2016 - 22:06, said:

Still a "feel" of the S&DJ at Corfe Mullen Jn. The railway house has been slightly extended since the line closed. There's still a very small bit of rail in situ - possibly the only original piece between Bath Jn and Broadstone.

attachicon.gifCopy of LevelCrossing-PeterK.jpg

I was under the impression, from their condition, that the gates were actual 'survivors'. Comments elsewhere suggest that they are in fact (re)constructed replacements. Does anyone have any more info please?

Still a "feel" of the S&DJ at Corfe Mullen Jn. The railway house has been slightly extended since the line closed. There's still a very small bit of rail in situ - possibly the only original piece between Bath Jn and Broadstone.

attachicon.gifCopy of LevelCrossing-PeterK.jpg

The gate-keeper's cottage, the last BR incumbent was a former WW2 USAAF/USAF bomber crewman who didn't want to return home after the war, fell in love with a local girl, and the area; can't remember his name, but I know someone who will. :-)

Sorry Peter, but there are still a couple pieces of rail left across the entrance to the 'Sidings' car park in the Damory area of Blandford.

The gate-keeper's cottage, the last BR incumbent was a former WW2 USAAF/USAF bomber crewman who didn't want to return home after the war, fell in love with a local girl, and the area; can't remember his name, but I know someone who will. :-)

Sorry Peter, but there are still a couple pieces of rail left across the entrance to the 'Sidings' car park in the Damory area of Blandford.

Thanks Paul,

I'll have to investigate next time I'm in Blandford. Are these pieces part of the main running line though (as at Corfe Mullen), or some sidings?

Thanks Paul,

I'll have to investigate next time I'm in Blandford. Are these pieces part of the main running line though (as at Corfe Mullen), or some sidings?

Part of the siding rails into the old 'Blanford & Webb' fertilizer warehouse.

Archived