Hornby Bagnall detailing

I have a Hornby Bagnall which looks a good candidate for detailing and conversion for my EM layout. Does anyone know if there are any drawings available of the prototype which Hornby based this on?  I know Hornby took a lot of liberties in producing this for the Thomas range and used one of their standard 0-4-0T chassis.  The prototype (according to Wiki no 3027 - the last built by Bagnall ) is a diesel mechanical and could use the chassis from a Hornby Sentinel.

The body looks oversized, particularly in width and could be slimmed down (as done by Tony Wood on a Hornby class 06 in around 2000). After adjusting the size, with new handrails and weathering a passable Bagnall should be possible. Any reasonable suggestions or help welcome.

• RMweb Premium

Bagnall 3027 still exists, it's at the Foxfield Railway, http://www.foxfieldrailway.co.uk/diesellocomotives.php  the one named 'Leys.'  They would probably be worth asking in the first instance.

The W G Bagnall archives appear to be at the NRM, but it looks like a visit would be required to try to find any drawings, a search on their website produced no results.

I would interested to see this conversion, 'oversized body' is understatement of the week so far! 

HTH

regards

Moxy

Thanks Peterpiper and Moxy. I have found online a drawing of a 6 wheel Bagnall and the cab doors are quite tall, so the Hornby one may not be too far out height wise.  The photo above showing the man in the flat cap is not conclusive on the height as he is probably at the controls and he may be seated. I'll have to try further research.

Having viewed many of the photos and videos of the prototype, I have determined approximately some of the key dimensions. I assumed that the buffer spacing followed a standard dimension (23mm in 4mm scale).  From front views, this gave me a bonnet width and height and cab width and height.  Projecting these onto side views, this gives a length over headstocks of about 60mm, so the prototype is a very small loco. As a comparison, this dimension on the A1 Models kit of the Ruston 48DS is 45mm ( a very small loco), the Sentinel is 85mm and the Hornby Bagnall chassis is 94.5mm.

Rather than kitbash/scratchbuild a scale model and chassis of the Bagnall, I plan to cut down the Hornby body shell to fit the Sentinel chassis but maintain the generic 'look' of a Bagnall. I'll get on with this and post some pictures next time.

Looking through my library I could only find one decent picture which may be of use for some detail aspects. If you need more at any point I'm not too far away to get some.

Bagnall_Foxfield.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

May thanks to Andy Y and Bobandhow for the photos.  I will use these to check the sketch drawing I have done of the prototype.  Meanwhile progress has been slow on the model but here are a few photos.

1 Bagnall dismantled. Dummy toolboxes cut off bonnet

2 Radiator grill separated from bonnet

3 Cab marked with masking tape ready for cutting down

4 Sentinel chassis with cab control desk removed to reveal DCC chip

post-4433-0-90724800-1459803685_thumb.jpg

post-4433-0-74252600-1459803713_thumb.jpg

post-4433-0-29056100-1459803727_thumb.jpg

post-4433-0-07031400-1459803752.jpg

• 1 year later...

The top one even has a Tri-ang Railways number (TR 153) :jester:

More seriously, the basic bonnet and cab shapes of the Dock shunter R253/Yard Switcher R353 are characteristic of late 1950s Bagnalls, though they went a bit freelance on the bonnet side grilles. It was made to fit over the Tri-ang Motor bogie of the period, so the bonnet migth be a bit wide, though I don't have prototype measurments to confirm that. The older one does appear to have a slightly wider bonnet anyway.

May thanks to Andy Y and Bobandhow for the photos.  I will use these to check the sketch drawing I have done of the prototype.  Meanwhile progress has been slow on the model but here are a few photos.

1 Bagnall dismantled. Dummy toolboxes cut off bonnet

2 Radiator grill separated from bonnet

3 Cab marked with masking tape ready for cutting down

4 Sentinel chassis with cab control desk removed to reveal DCC chip

Gday there,

I like where your going with this, giving me some ideas.

Keep the photos coming, cheers,

Regards G.

My results so far:

Footplate and bonnet shortened

Separate handrails

Windscreen wipers front and rear

Full depth buffer beams

Hook couplings

Deeper sideframes

Air tank

Not finished yet but am much happier than the standard model! Sorry for quality of pictures, ipad-tastic.

Best wishes

Nigepost-10846-0-03514000-1499205538_thumb.jpgpost-10846-0-46391900-1499205554_thumb.jpgpost-10846-0-67047100-1499205620_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Nicely done!

Can I ask if you cut the cab and bonnet down in height. I'm making a cut 'n shut conversion and i am now mocking up the loco. The loco seems very tall andi'm wondering whether to ditch the chassis and go for a SPUD or similar instead.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I didnt reduce the bonnet or cab height but it is a big lump! The bonnet couldnt really be cut down due the the motor etc, although i did shorten it a bit. The cab though could be both reduced in height and width, Which I think would help a lot. I might do that if I do another one. It looks fine with a rake of wagons, but a bit big when next to a 31!

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Nige