Model Rail 220 April 2016

dibber25

Its a difficult situation, like many others i have a full run of MR from the beginning, and as a subscriber i feel that MR has failed to capture my interest yet again.

It was the 'waited for' read only a couple of years ago, but now i could take it or leave it. 12 pages dedicated to buildings and architecture isnt what i buy a model railway magazine for. Im not knocking the article, as i am sure alot of time and effort went into it. Its just 12 skipped pages in my issue.

My subscription runs out in the autumn, and i fear i may not be renewing.

There were a couple of very good articles, the Dapol church and finescale track ones are very good.

I dont know what direction the new editor is leading MR, i just hope its the right way, as a reader of over 15 years i find myself spending more reading time on BRM and Hornby, a fact that does sadden me somewhat.

Time will tell but i fear if MR doesnt up its game to what it used to be "for britains sharpest railway modellers" it may well dissapear from our shelves, it certaibly wont be on my shopping list.

I have written previously on RM on what I believe is the falling quality of the contents of Model Rail of the past while - or has it been since Ben moved on?  Mine arrives by an advanced subscription payment so I don't buy it monthly on the strength of the cover illustration.  But if I was considering buying it over the counter I fear that now I wouldn't be bothering to purchase it given the present quality of the contents - cover or no cover illustration!

It seems that MR has moved into the market for modelling for beginners - which is no bad thing.  The magazine has little appeal for a modeller like myself who has been whittling plasticard and the like for more years than I would care to admit.  And if the MR is now for beginners, the article on 'Creating Realistic Pantiles'  was a bit odd - since when was 1:48 a model railway scale? Working to that scale should surely have come with a health warning for those beginners who will end up with mighty big pantiles if they are 00 or N gauge modellers.  Again this article on pantiles looks like advertising dressed up as modelling exercise - the paints being only available from the author of the article.   Not really satisfactory in my opinion.

Castles? At least we were spared Harry Potter's Castle this time!  Seems to me that a lot of effort has gone in to the MR with the final articles lacking substance.  

Time to cancel the subscription methinks - which is sad as I have read every MR since those days when it was a few pages of inserts.  

Do beginners scratch-build their own structures? Perhaps it was an assumption that even beginners would know 1:48 wasn't N scale. 1:48 pantiles would not look out of place on a 1:43 building and the technique is transferable to other scales and materials.    It does state in the standfirst that this is an extract from a book. It wasn't advertising, any more than an article about a Hornby or Bachmann model is advertising. Nothing unstaisfactory about it! Further up this thread someone mentions wanting articles about 'cottage industry products' - well this is one. At the time that we did Hogwarts Castle in 2002 it proved to be hugely popular. Scarcely any point in re-doing it now the books/films are over. Who says the magazine is for beginners? We certainly didn't. What I get from these comments is that MR should be exactly the same as the other three mainstream titles. We believe it should be different. (CJL)

All noted CJL but all I can say is that this is my personal view.  For me MR is just not what it used to be.  The 'new' content is just not my cup of tea, but if MR maintains its monthly sales levels then can only be good for the MR team, but if it continues in this current type of content then as they say on the telly "Am oot!"

Chris, I find the new approach refreshing. Yes Railway Modeller does have several layout articles, but most are relatively short and are often feature less common scales and gauges. Most are also contributor written. The impression I get of current hobby is that many people are only really collectors, which accounts for many r2r and r2p models selling fast. There does need to be something to inspire some to do more modelling. Interestingly I think this has actually resulted in people being willing to pay higher prices for some new kits on the market. There is still a lot that can be done using simple Dapol(ex Airfix) plastic kits.

As for duplication of articles, I raised this last year and got what I consider a rather rude reply. I would never send article to more than one magazine, but having said that, it helps if someone acknowledges receipt, especially email, as they do sometimes go adrift. I have also been let down by some saying they are interested but then , months later, saying they are not interested. It is this that probably results in  some sending articles to more than one magazine at a time.

As my main interest is French railways the only magazine I subscribe to is Continental Modeller, but I find keeping up with UK modelling very useful and I have been inspired to create some British theme layouts. For inspiration, look no further than the long running(some say too long) series of articles from Emmanuel Nouaillier. Just google him, and I think most will be impressed.

Finally, you are never going to please everyone all the time, but some should be more prepared to look beyond their very narrow spectrum of interest. You might just learn something new, or , be inspired to try something new. One thing I don't want to see is too many multi page reviews of yet another under gauged loco. A short review, as some magazines do is sufficient. It is probably one of the things I noticed first when I started looking at the new crop of magazines.

Chris, I find the new approach refreshing. Yes Railway Modeller does have several layout articles, but most are relatively short and are often feature less common scales and gauges. Most are also contributor written. The impression I get of current hobby is that many people are only really collectors, which accounts for many r2r and r2p models selling fast. There does need to be something to inspire some to do more modelling. Interestingly I think this has actually resulted in people being willing to pay higher prices for some new kits on the market. There is still a lot that can be done using simple Dapol(ex Airfix) plastic kits.

As for duplication of articles, I raised this last year and got what I consider a rather rude reply. I would never send article to more than one magazine, but having said that, it helps if someone acknowledges receipt, especially email, as they do sometimes go adrift. I have also been let down by some saying they are interested but then , months later, saying they are not interested. It is this that probably results in  some sending articles to more than one magazine at a time.

As my main interest is French railways the only magazine I subscribe to is Continental Modeller, but I find keeping up with UK modelling very useful and I have been inspired to create some British theme layouts. For inspiration, look no further than the long running(some say too long) series of articles from Emmanuel Nouaillier. Just google him, and I think most will be impressed.

Finally, you are never going to please everyone all the time, but some should be more prepared to look beyond their very narrow spectrum of interest. You might just learn something new, or , be inspired to try something new. One thing I don't want to see is too many multi page reviews of yet another under gauged loco. A short review, as some magazines do is sufficient. It is probably one of the things I noticed first when I started looking at the new crop of magazines.

Agreed, but I would not wish to diminish the reviews in any way. All our research says that we need to maintain our reputation for thorough and detailed reviews. It would be good to see a wider range of products to review but that is, to a large extent down to manufacturers supplying them to us, or at least notifying us of their existence. (CJL)

I have to agree with the previous comments. Sorry, not hear to grumble, but Model Rail has been a very disappointing read for many issues now. There seems to be a distinct leaning towards beginner/trainset stuff. Nothing wrong with that, but if that's your chosen direction then market it as such so the appropriate market is reached.

I had a call just before Christmas by someone trying to sell me advertising space, that person freely admitted the magazine had lost direction and wasn't very good. Apparently changes on direction will be afoot. I'm sorry but I've cancelled my sub.

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to see more articles about BR rolling stock both wagons and coaches.

How about a feature on coaches that could be converted to tool vans to go with the Bachmann crane through the different eras?

Different lineside installations to load unload say grains and covhops?

What different departmental vehicles were used for?

The magazine has been around so long now that some of the master class articles could be redone as new models have been made or the role of the prototype has changed

There's still plenty to go at

I have to agree with the previous comments. Sorry, not hear to grumble, but Model Rail has been a very disappointing read for many issues now. There seems to be a distinct leaning towards beginner/trainset stuff. Nothing wrong with that, but if that's your chosen direction then market it as such so the appropriate market is reached.

I had a call just before Christmas by someone trying to sell me advertising space, that person freely admitted the magazine had lost direction and wasn't very good. Apparently changes on direction will be afoot. I'm sorry but I've cancelled my sub.

• RMweb Gold

I liked the history articles about different models or different years but they were always a bit short, so plenty of stuff there.

As I said at the start this isn't a rant,its was my opinion and would like to be constructive

There have been changes - that's what this is all about. There are also different people selling the ads! Can't think of any beginner 'trainset stuff at all - it's like we're not talking about the same magazine.(CJL)

There have been changes - that's what this is all about. There are also different people selling the ads! Can't think of any beginner 'trainset stuff at all - it's like we're not talking about the same magazine.(CJL)

Well unfortunately, and reading the previous comments I don't think it's just me that seems to think so, but the changes don't seem to be moving the mag in the desired direction.

Okay maybe 'trainset content' was not the best phrase to use. What I was trying to get across was that the content feels and looks as though it's geared towards people starting out in the hobby. As I previously said that's not a bad thing, but there needs to be a decent mix. I like to read articles and feel inspired, see things that are new and interesting. Unfortunately that just doesn't happen with the current articles. I appreciate it's difficult to please all of the people all of the time.

• RMweb Premium

Me to

Bought every issue and a subscriber for a numbers of years, but I feel time to say good bye.

I will give it a couple more issues.

IMHO Model Rail & Hornby Magazine have to improve dramatically - or bye bye

Terry

This is not just aimed at MR, but didn't Hornby recently stop sending stuff for reviews? If that is so then simply reviewing "what the manufacturers supply" is hardly fair to readers is it? Drop them altogether? That would set you apart from other mags!

Ed

• RMweb Premium

I recently stopped my subscription to Model Rail - at the same time as I stopped BRM.

The former I have bought as off the shelf copies from the newsagent as I prefer the reviews. The same can not be said for BRM, where their "FREE" this and "FREE" that are just cover gimmicks, with not enough substance inside.

Model Rail is still the better read (Not bought Railway Modeller or Hornby mag for years) and I generally get every copy as it comes out.

Isn't it just a sign of the times? - We can get all the layout articles here on RMWeb; together with reviews; adverts etc.

• RMweb Premium

Could be a sign of the times, right enough. My WH Smith disappeared from Braehead in Glasgow last year, now I note WHS Greenock has disappeared too. Looks like mag shops disappearing is the next High Street trend

• RMweb Premium

My local WHS is a jumble sale which flogs lots of cut price chocolate with a few mags and newspapers on the side to give you something to read whilst you consume said confectionery....

I am old fashioned, and whilst it is brilliant having layouts and how-to's on here it ain't the same as having a mag in front of me. Different about reviews because there will be a variety of views on a forum. However, my sons don't buy any mags, everything is on line. I don't think they buy on-line stuff as they have access to so much for free. Hence the WHS closing I guess.

It has got to be tough in the magazine business nowadays. I'd like to know whether Warners see the mag's as supporting the exhibitions or vice-versa.

Ed

I'd like to know whether Warners see the mag's as supporting the exhibitions or vice-versa.

They're separate business units but obviously we work together. Both are doing well.

• RMweb Gold

When reading reviews of locomotives I want to see how many wagons or coaches a loco will pull on the flat, rather like how it's done in Model Railroader. Something like "The drawbar power is x, which is the equivalent of y coaches/wagons on straight level track".

When reading reviews of locomotives I want to see how many wagons or coaches a loco will pull on the flat, rather like how it's done in Model Railroader. Something like "The drawbar power is x, which is the equivalent of y coaches/wagons on straight level track".

That's what we do, not as drawbar power (which means nothing to most modellers) but as simply the number of coaches (or wagons if a freight loco). They are tested on my layout, which is flat . (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Could be a sign of the times, right enough. My WH Smith disappeared from Braehead in Glasgow last year, now I note WHS Greenock has disappeared too. Looks like mag shops disappearing is the next High Street trend

Our local WHS has moved all the railway/model railway mags to the bottom shelf which will hardly help sales - Model Railroader ceased to appear some time back and, unless it sold out very quickly. the latest issue of MRJ hasn't put in an appearance at all.

Variety means being inclusive of a wide range of article types - including layouts (of all scales), not being restrictive and ditching them. But, of course, it's a matter of balance.

I can't see that there is any connection between grumbling and not modelling. Often it's a matter of being inspired and encouraged and seeing decent models, including layouts, is part of that. For some, who are unable to get out and visit exhibitions, viewing layouts in magazines and on forums is often the only way they get to see what can be achieved in the railway modelling hobby.

G.

From my perspective Grahame has hit the nail on the head. When I buy one of the modelling magazines I am looking for inspiration. I have bought and kept many a magazine based on a single article that I found inspiring. Beyond this, if I can "thumb through a copy" before purchase and I come across a "how to" type of article that might be useful to me, then that will also prompt me to buy the magazine. I don't tend to buy magazines just because they have a free gift/DVD, although I understand that may sway others. I don't subscribe, I would rather spend my money on a magazine that has something that appeals to me, and usually that is inspiration or insight into how to do/achieve something. 

Linners

• RMweb Gold

The WHS in Sheringham hasn't actually been open very long,they too have the railway mags on the bottom shelf.

I only use the place as a last resort preferring instead to support the other four local newsagents first.

The post office in high Kelling is a centre of excellence for US mags,no idea why I can't imagine they sell many but there are a lot there

I think it is important for readers to have choice. Four magazines all looking the same, doing the same things, reviewing the same new models and featuring the same layouts, doesn't give modellers choice. That's why Model Rail is deliberately doing things which are different and offering an alternative to the other three. (CJL)

Yes, choice is important but I don't get the impression that all the big four mags are doing/featuring the same things - obviously within the constraints that they are all model railway hobby mags and will feature trains and modelling. I, and I assume others, do see and recognise a difference between them. There certainly seems to be choice because the four mags don't all look and have the same content, style and policy. For example:

RM has better quality paper, MR has poor quality paper.

You know what type of review you will get in RM and HM, they're not the same as MR.

Hornby mag concentrates on 4mm steam, others don't.

RM heavily features narrow gauge, others don't.

HM is a brash new pretender, RM is an old stager.

The adverts are distributed differently in them.

MR seems to place/feature advertorials on certain products like de luxe while RM pushes Peco/PPP products

And they each have their own different styles and nuances.

Plus of course the same layout ought have different photos (in different magazines) and have a different angle/write up about it.

G.

Yes, choice is important but I don't get the impression that all the big four mags are doing/featuring the same things - obviously within the constraints that they are all model railway hobby mags and will feature trains and modelling. I, and I assume others, do see and recognise a difference between them. There certainly seems to be choice because the four mags don't all look and have the same content, style and policy. For example:

RM has better quality paper, MR has poor quality paper.

You know what type of review you will get in RM and HM, they're not the same as MR.

Hornby mag concentrates on 4mm steam, others don't.

RM heavily features narrow gauge, others don't.

HM is a brash new pretender, RM is an old stager.

The adverts are distributed differently in them.

MR seems to place/feature advertorials on certain products like de luxe while RM pushes Peco/PPP products

And they each have their own different styles and nuances.

Plus of course the same layout ought have different photos (in different magazines) and have a different angle/write up about it.

G.

Plus, if I counted correctly, the list for this month under the RM thread has 11 layouts. MR has 2. If all the mags featured layouts in that quantity - 44 a month - it would be unsustainable, even with duplication. Layout articles are, however, a soft option for editorial teams as they are quick and easy to prepare, and - except in Model Rail's new formula* - they don't involve any writing. As a personal view, I believe there's a lot more to railway modelling than pretty pictures of layouts, but to cater to those who disagree, we also do our annual 'Great British Model Railways" bookazine which has nothing but layout pictures. (CJL)

* Model Rail layout texts are now written by staff and take the form of an interview with the layout owner. 

Archived