Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Bizarre images of trains in popular culture

I reckon that Harry Potter loco a milk and water version of the one and only Rowland Emmet's minutely observed decaying light railways in the muddier backwaters of Eastern England.

One of my early schoolboy heroes, the cartoonist was introduced to me by my stern grandad from the otherwise incomprehensibly dry pages of Punch.

post-21705-0-58877200-1457472429.jpg

As a young Boy Scout  I was able to ride behind Rowland Emmet's "Nellie" at Battersea Park in the Festival of Britain 1951.

dh

I Googled "train cartoon" to see what I would get. It is weird. I encourage anyone interested in the idea of this topic to do the same.

I got lots of stuff like this.  This one was really incongruous.

The use of 'trains' as a colourful juvenile motif is interesting. There's a really strong correlation with the idea of trains as 'toys'.

Thanks for wasting a few minutes of my life. At least I won't get so annoyed when "train stations" get mentioned in future!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/transport-dumbing_down-dumb_down-train-train_station-choo_choo_train-amc0287_low.jpg

In Ireland, level crossing signs come in an entertaining variety of styles. The one below is, I think, the national standard for "un-gated", but I've never been totally sure. On the Bord na Mona (peat authority) lines, there are all sorts of weird signs on level crossing gates, including some seriously Wild West locos with "cow catchers", big headlights etc. must disappoint small children when the train that turns up is actually hauled by a four-wheel diesel loco of utilitarian kind!

Kevin

post-26817-0-95411700-1457511374.jpg

It's a passable GWR prairie tank with the safety valve bonnet and the tapered boiler...and a tender.

According to the Waverley Route Heritage Association web site tank engines on the Lauder Light Railway did run with a tender, to reduce the axle loading of the loco by not carrying water in the tanks.  Wikipedia takes a contrary view, stating that it was simply due to the distance from the locos' home shed at Galashiels, and the fact that the shed at Lauder was closed when the passenger service ceased in 1932.

I thought this version was a less objectionable illustration, particularly since the Hogwarts locomotive is supposed to be a regular muggle locomotive obtained through the use of concealment and memory charms and magicked up a bit.

What's that behind it, though? Did they also make us muggle's forget a stolen production run of Class 89's, too?

According to the Waverley Route Heritage Association web site tank engines on the Lauder Light Railway did run with a tender, to reduce the axle loading of the loco by not carrying water in the tanks.  Wikipedia takes a contrary view, stating that it was simply due to the distance from the locos' home shed at Galashiels, and the fact that the shed at Lauder was closed when the passenger service ceased in 1932.

Axle loading was the reason.  Wiki is not close to the truth on this occasion, although somewhat tenuously, the axle loading issue was conveniently forgotten for the final closure specials, which utilised conventional traction.

"Wikipedia takes a contrary view".... shome mishtake, shurely?

In Ireland, level crossing signs come in an entertaining variety of styles. The one below is, I think, the national standard for "un-gated", but I've never been totally sure. On the Bord na Mona (peat authority) lines, there are all sorts of weird signs on level crossing gates, including some seriously Wild West locos with "cow catchers", big headlights etc. must disappoint small children when the train that turns up is actually hauled by a four-wheel diesel loco of utilitarian kind!

Kevin

Didn't some Irish narrow gauge lines have locos that were so equipped?

I was watching the film "Inside Out" on DVD recently and there is a "Train of Thought" careering around the brain of a 11 year old girl.

What electric loco class is it supposed to be? Half a Swiss Crocodile?

http://pixar.wikia.com/wiki/Train_of_Thought

Whatever it is, it makes a pleasant change from those endless 'Western' 4-4-0s with diamond stacks and 'cowcatchers'. :banghead:

steve

Whatever it is, it makes a pleasant change from those endless 'Western' 4-4-0s with diamond stacks and 'cowcatchers'. :banghead:

I remember seeing one particular children's programme (can't remember which, now), which featured what was actually quite a good rendition of the classic "American" 4-4-0. Apart, that is, from the fact that it had the pistons driving the leading bogie wheels!

Probably the worst example I've seen of "thing that's supposed to be a train, but really, really, couldn't be", though, is a Cbeebies show, Driver Dan's Story Train. For those who haven't seen it, here's the "train" in question

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/childrens-responsive-ichef/r/720/1x/cbeebies/cbeebies-driverdansstorytrain-img-radio-driverdan_wriggletoes_432_243.jpg

(For some reason, that link seems to fail due to the addition of a spurious character at the end. Remove it, and it's fine).

I was so shocked and surprised when I saw "Trainspotting." Wasn't what I was expecting at all.....

I dunno, the toilet scene is quite reminiscent of a FGW train where the flush water has run out (usually by about Iver, for trains leaving London).

• RMweb Premium

I reckon that Harry Potter loco a milk and water version of the one and only Rowland Emmet's minutely observed decaying light railways in the muddier backwaters of Eastern England.

One of my early schoolboy heroes, the cartoonist was introduced to me by my stern grandad from the otherwise incomprehensibly dry pages of Punch.

attachicon.gifEmmet Wild Goose.jpg

As a young Boy Scout  I was able to ride behind Rowland Emmet's "Nellie" at Battersea Park in the Festival of Britain 1951.

dh

There used to be a lovely animated model of his "Featherstone-Kite Openwork Basketweave Mark Two Gentleman’s Flying Machine" in a shopping centre in Leeds.

Long gone now...I wonder where it went.

Trains in popular culture? Try this but first get your sugar cube, your eyedropper and your magic liquid. Let it dissolve on your tongue and then go.

Copy and paste if it doesn't go straight there.

CAT

Clearly that engine was made (or at the very least, chassis'd) by Lima. 

Archived