Identify this Great Central Loco?

It is definitely Great Central. If it is 79 it is class 9H (LNER J10) built at the start of Robinson's reign in 1901. The rectangular numberplate would tend to confirm this, earlier engines of this type had (and retained) painted numbers. I would guess it to be in lined black, but it's hard to tell. This batch, built by the GCR itself at Gorton, had the smaller, 3080 gallon, tenders, and were intended for the Cheshire Lines.

It is definitely Great Central. If it is 79 it is class 9H (LNER J10) built at the start of Robinson's reign in 1901. The rectangular numberplate would tend to confirm this, earlier engines of this type had (and retained) painted numbers. I would guess it to be in lined black, but it's hard to tell. This batch, built by the GCR itself at Gorton, had the smaller, 3080 gallon, tenders, and were intended for the Cheshire Lines.

That's exactly what I was after. I haven't seen a GC engine with rectangular plate before. The larger print in J.IC. Boyd's WM&CQR book shows it's tender sides to be a fair bit taller than the cab side sheets, I was under the impression the J10s were meant to have matching heights? 

For reference, http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/jr_locos_Loco80.html shows the class of loco the books think it is, and clearly isn't! 

Indeed, the J10 cab cut outs were supposed to match the tenders. I honestly don't know whether tenders were swapped around despite this, and GCR-era data on the subject is scanty. (I have been trying to research what tender should be attached to a particular J11 at a given date, and in the absence of an actual dated photo, its impossible to say. I used to think the GC tenders always carried the same numberplate as the loco - wrong! They were quite often changed around.)

The rectangular number plates are 'early Robinson'. Some J10s had them - this batch - and the last of the N5s which had welded tanks. There are a few other random examples, but they were very much in the minority, as most engines had either the oval style or painted numbers.

That's some excellent info, much appreciated! Now to hunt out some drawings, and preferably a kit. (I plan on having some GC visitors on my cambrian layout, I figure I can justify a WW1 special working from the steel works of the WM&CQR to the Manganese mines on my layout, a J10 would fit the bill nicely) 

If you are working in 4mm DJH do a kit (whitemetal) or did do. It is for one of the Beyer Peacock engines with a 4000 gallon tender. A very easy kit to build, given that even I managed one some years back.

In 7mm, we are still waiting...

If you are working in 4mm DJH do a kit (whitemetal) or did do. It is for one of the Beyer Peacock engines with a 4000 gallon tender. A very easy kit to build, given that even I managed one some years back.

In 7mm, we are still waiting...

No longer available, sadly. Though the cab is too tall anyway I think? It certainly doesn't look right. A good basis though perhaps I f I can get hold of one. 

If you can get one on the second hand market, I don't think it would be impossible to modify. Pity it's no longer on offer as it was a very decent kit with the plus point of being easy to build. They also lasted quite a while into BR days. You might just drop lucky - chances are someone's got one moldering away in an unopened box somewhere.

I did suggest to DJH that they might like to do it in O Gauge but they did not seem to be interested. I imagine turning out giant express locos and BR class 9Fs is more profitable for them, although few of us actually have the room to run such things, certainly not with appropriate trains.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all

When built the J10's cab side sheets matched the tender, ie larger cab cut outs for the 3080gal tender than the 4000gal tender . You can spot the difference by where the small cabside handrail is compared to the bottom of the cab cut out.

DJH still have the J10 in their list, but have no stock at the moment. It's a good kit with one of the better chassis. 

Earlswood nob

Archived