Really Useful Boxes - check prices!

If anyone else also uses Really Useful Boxes for storage (the 4-litre ones in particular are great for OO gauge), please be aware of the vast range of prices in different shops.  I noticed recently that Staples charge £9.99 for a 4L whereas Ryman charge £4.99 for the same box - and at the moment are offering two for £7!

Prices for Really Useful Boxes do fluctuate widely particularly when offered in multiples. Round here (West Herts) the main retailers are Hobbycraft and Staples who often have bargains on offer in store that are not necessarily available online. The reverse is also true for both stores!!!!!! .

I find them robust items, some of the cheap ones can be a bit fragile and thin.

I use them for exhibition work for stock and buildings, mainly10 litre ones.

John

• RMweb Premium

A few years ago, Staples was clearing out the Really Useful boxes at a good price. We visited a number of stores and cleared them out of certain sizes that fit on my shelves.

Then they had them in stock again, different serial numbers and the price was up.

Staples occasionally have a Really Useful Box (RUB) promotion where they sell some of the larger sizes (48l and 64l) at £20 for 2 (of the same size).  Useful for lightweight things and possibly rolling stock.  Locos are too heavy even if the box is only half full.  This is the nest deal I have seen on the larger sizes.

Hobbycraft have a 3 for the price of 2 event (seemingly two or three times a year) on RUB which is the best deal I have seen on the smaller size boxes (at least up to 21l).

A local Homebase (Kidbrooke SE3) have some of the smaller sizes of RUB but are not particularly good one price.

Rymans can be cheap when the Really Useful Box is sold with a ream or two of A4 paper (and the paper is about the same price per ream as 10 reams from Staples).

Never managed to beat the Staples and Hobbycraft promotional prices on line, and the benefit of buying them in a shop is you can check the boxes and lids are not cracked or chipped.

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Yes, always worth shopping around for these.

Currently 'Rymans' Edinburgh branches are doing special offers although stock varies quite a bit across branches.

'WHS' also seem to do a '3for2' every now and again.

'Hobbycraft' tend to keep a good range but I rarely see deals on them.

I have no connection with any of the above companies other than as a customer.

Has anyone tried to build a layout in one (I've seen a couple in the magazines but wondered if anyone her had done so)?

Hope this is useful.

Regards,

Alex.

Rymans are sometimes best to get them. 4L as stated above at 2 for £7, or 9L 2 for £10. I use them for my jewellery stuff so have loads around the house, Hobbycraft tend to sell the 4L ones for £8.

Yes they are a bit more expensive but rather more robust than some. That's important to me as I use them for shows and they can get knocked about a bit at times.

I am an OO/HO modeller and use the 10litre ones and fit the foam inserts from JB Modelworld (no connection).

It does come out at around £20/£25 a box with foam, but consider this:-

8 x coaches at up to £40/coach or,

4 x two car emus at £100ish/set or,

8 x locos at £100 - £120 each

That's a lot of value that needs protecting.

Also particularly at the end of a show, it is so very easy and quick to pack the stock away, off the layout, slip into the foam slot, box full, lid on and all safe. Minimised the riak of damage significantly.

I have on occasion made own inserts from the thin foam sheet available in A3/A4 packs from Hobbycraft, it's fine for lighter 4 wheel freight stock, but for the heavier powered locos and power cars I much prefer the firmer hold of the purpose made inserts.

At the end of the day it's what suits your situation, for domestic, infrequently moved items then the cheaper boxes may well be fine, but I need some robustness and RUBs suit me fine!

John

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

A heads up for these as the larger Tesco's are selling these at a discount if you have their clubcard. An example, the 18 litre version is normally £9 ish but can be had for £6. Plenty of storage space for coaching stock etc. Other sizes are available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2