Curving a Ratio kit viaduct

Thanks Rob

Yes, the raised stone around the base of the arches is actually some square plasticard rodding that I slightly sanded down two edges of to round them slightly and then with a fine saw, made small cuts on 3 sides to represent the gaps between the stones. These were trimmed, and glued in position with any gaps finished with plastic putty and then shaped etc.

I've put some more pictures on that may illustrate this further

161114_59.jpg

IMG_3732.JPG

P1010039.JPG

P1010042 (3).JPG

Finally, although not the viaduct, this picture of a tunnel mouth under construction on the other end of the layout shows what I did with the large plastic rodding shaping and with saw cuts.

200408_2.JPG

Best regards

Edmund

How did you produce that stone with the date on above the tunnel?

Hi

The date stone was made with a small oblong of 30 thou plasticard, edging put around from Evergreen plastic strip, and the digits were added from Slaters plastic numbers/letters that usually come in a pack like this.

post-7537-0-05479100-1460208024.jpg

Best regards

Edmund

The quality of workmanship on these viaducts is stunning. In fact in some of the photos I have to look twice just to make sure the images are not of the real 12inch to the foot structure.

Latest pictures of my viaduct which was painted last Friday by my friend Ron from the High Wycombe club. The stones round the arches are now being cut out in 10 thou plasticard using the ones from the Wills kit as templates. Once these are stuck they will be painted to match the rest of the viaduct. Need to add the stones to the far side but waiting for new supplies as they are out of stock. 

Once complete I will add the scenery

post-26417-0-18082300-1460487929_thumb.jpg

post-26417-0-56521100-1460488052_thumb.jpg

post-26417-0-34380600-1460488054_thumb.jpg

Hi Edmund,

Is your viaduct based on a particular location? Mine is loosely based on Monsal Dale viaduct although on a much steeper radius. Have managed to get the 5 arches and will be working on the valley and tunnel/cliff face next

Really enjoying looking at your photos as the quality of your viaduct is second to none. Thanks for the tips so far.

Rob 

Hi Edmund,

Is your viaduct based on a particular location? Mine is loosely based on Monsal Dale viaduct although on a much steeper radius. Have managed to get the 5 arches and will be working on the valley and tunnel/cliff face next

Really enjoying looking at your photos as the quality of your viaduct is second to none. Thanks for the tips so far.

Rob 

Hi Rob

When I was planning my layout, I wanted it to be a typical Settle Carlisle looking railway (I grew up in Settle and went to school there), so the criteria was it was to have an overbridge, an underbridge, viaduct, tunnels and junction station.  I had planned originally to model Lazonby as near as I could but then decided to model something that was loosely based on Hellifield/Garsdale.  Looking through some old Railway Modeller magazines from the 70's I found the perfect station trackplan from David Jenkinson for "Dent Head Junction" on his Little Long Drag layout.  What I decided was to modify his plan slightly and use it for a loosely enlarged Garsdale.  I wrote to David Jenkinson in early 2002 (shortly before he died) asking his permission to use it, he gave my layout his full backing and suggested the name "Grisedale".

The viaduct is taken from scale drawings of Appersett and photos of Ais Gill viaduct.  Both tunnel mouths are taken from scale drawings of Rise Hill tunnel, the overbridge and underbridge are taken from many pictures of structures on the line.  The goods shed is a scale replica of the one standing at Lazonby, the locomotive shed is a cut-down version of the shed that stood at Hellifield, and the station building is a shortened version of Hellifield (I tried to imagine what the Midland Railway architect that designed Hellifield would do at a smaller site).

Any questions you have on any construction, I'm very happy to pass on anything I have. 

Best Regards

Edmund

I am posting some of the latest pictures of my viaduct project. I am still waiting for new supplies of the stone plasticard so made a start on the associated scenery last week. This is made from carved polystyrene blocks which are shaped to form the hillside. I have been using a hot wire cutter which  is a easy way to shape the polystyrene without the mess. The river bed will be in the centre arch and will start on this once the slopes are ready. Plywood edging strips will follow and then plaster bandage on top of the polystyrene. As you can see the slope are quite steep (Eddie the Eagle would be most proud!!)

The curved stones round the arches have now been added and now need painting to match the rest. Still, I am  pleased with the results so far

post-26417-0-37180200-1461097651_thumb.jpg

post-26417-0-00609600-1461097653_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

It has been some time since I posted some progress news in relation to my Monsall Head viaduct project. I have more or less completed the viaduct and added the river floor and scenery to the area over the course of the summer. My colleague Ron from High Wycombe club has doen a fantastic job with painting the stonework and weathering.

The scenery was constructed from polystyrene and then plaster bandage added. Next grass matting from Hedgerow Scenics was used followed by the application of static grass. The river was formed from a product called Mod Podge which was easy to apply.

The next stage was the formation of Headstone Tunnel which formed a scenic break between the scenic section and the fiddle yard. 

All in all, the viaduct has added a fantastic dimension to the layout and has a variety of trains running over it from the Blue Pullman ( which ran from St Pancras to Manchester in the 1960's) to grimy coals trains hauled by WD's and 9F locomotives

post-26417-0-82987300-1475967776_thumb.jpg

post-26417-0-95425900-1475967777_thumb.jpg

post-26417-0-45956600-1475967809_thumb.jpg

post-26417-0-05033300-1475967848_thumb.jpg

Archived