Weston on Trent Model Railway Show Saturday 12th November

andyram

The fifth "Weston on Trent Model Railway Show" is to take place on Saturday 12th November this year. As usual it will be held at Weston on Trent Primary School, Forrester Avenue, Weston on Trent, Derbyshire DE72 2HX. Once again all proceeds will go towards the school. Last year was our most successful event to date, raising £1000 towards the new library area. This year we are raising money to purchase more IPads and laptops to support the computing teaching in each class.

As always the show will feature a number of layouts in a variety of gauges, full trade support, on site parking, hot and cold refreshments and a raffle. Prices have been frozen from last year so entry will cost £3.50 for adults, £3.00 seniors, £2.00 for children. A family ticket will cost £10 allowing entrance for 2 adults and up to 3 children.

We are already assembling a cracking line up of layouts. A layout list will be posted in due course.

• 6 months later...

Things are starting to come together for this year's Weston on Trent Model Railway show. This year's event looks set to be bigger than ever with the prospect of over 20 layouts attending, more trade and a bigger selection of demonstrations. Quite a few of the layouts are being exhibited by RMWeb members. Hopefully we will see plenty more members coming through the door to visit us on the day.

More details will be posted soon.

• 1 month later...

The final confirmations are being received for this year's event. Work pressures have prevented me from updating as much as usual this year. What I can confirm is that this year we are bursting at the seams. For the first time we will have exhibits in all five classrooms as well as the main hall. We have more traders and demonstrators than ever before and another 20+ layouts for visitors to enjoy. All of this for the bargain entry fee of £3.50. Hope to see you there.

• 2 weeks later...

With less than a week to go until this year's Weston on Trent show I can now reveal the layout list:

1.  SKALEBY WEST              OO                               B.R STEAM ERA

2.  GLENUIG                          EM                               B.R BLUE ERA SCOTTISH REGION

3.  AYLET END                      OO                               B.R STEAM / DIESEL SOUTHERN REGION

4.  ZATA VYCHOD                HO                                CZECH REPUBLIC DIESEL AND STEAM

5.  COTTLESTON                  OO                               MODERN IMAGE

6   BETLEY                             OO                              1950'S STEAM AND DIESEL

7   MALTBY                                O                              STEAM ERA SHUNTING LAYOUT

8   WATERFALL JUNCTION     N                               FREELANCE LAYOUT IN A SUITCASE

9   CROFTSMILL                     OO (finescale)            BR STEAM ERA

10 GREENSIDE VALE            OO                              LATE 1960'S BR GREEN DIESEL

11 MALMESBURY                    N                               GWR 1933

12 BRIHAM                               N                               1950'S WESTERN REGION

13 ASHBOURNE MIDLAND   OO                              1960'S STEAM AND DIESEL

14 SLACKS LANE                   OO                              1974 DIESEL

15 WINDMILL LANE               OO                               1990'S WAGON REPAIR WORKS

16 MYTON                              OO                               1950'S / 60'S BRANCH LINE TERMINUS

17 BYGONE RAILWAYS         TT                                EXTENSIVE TT DISPLAY AND LAYOUT FROM MALCOLM HUGHES

18 SANTA'S LAYOUT            HOn9                            A CHRISTMAS MODEL RAILWAY IN A CRACKER BOX

19 COXHEATH SIDINGS          O                               INDUSTRIAL LIGHT RAILWAY

20 COTON SIDINGS                EM                              STEAM / DIESEL ERA SHUNTING LAYOUT           

The layouts listed in bold type are exhibited by people I know to be RMWeb users.

The full list of demonstrators and trade will be revealed later in the week. I am also hoping one further layout will confirm but the owner seems to be ignoring me at present.

The show is open from 10.30am - 4.30pm on SATURDAY 12TH NOVEMBER 2016

A list of traders are as follows:

RAVENSTORE MODELS - new and second hand railways.

THE MOTIVE POWER DEPOT - new and second hand railways.

KEITHS MODEL RAILWAYS - new and second hand railways.

ILKESTON MODEL RAILWAY CLUB STAND - second hand railways.

TONY BREWIN - model buses.

TPA BOOKS - a selection of railway books and railwayana.

DOUBLO SCENICS - scenic items with static grass demonstration.

TALYLLYN RAILWAY - Talyllyn Railway souvenirs and Thomas the Tank Engine items.

Demonstrators

DAVID WRIGHT - Dovedale models - model railway scenery and model buildings.

PAUL LUNN - Layout planning advice.

BRIAN DOMINIC - Wagon kit building for 16mm.

After exhibiting 'Werrington Rd' at Weston for 2 years I can thoroughly recommend this show as 1 to visit, unfortunately work commitments this year preclude me from attending as a paying visitor, hope it goes well for you Andy.

I have just arrived home after a hectic afternoon preparing the school for tomorrow's exhibition. We are all set up and ready for the exhibitors to arrive in the morning. I think today was our hardest set up because we are using every classroom in the school this year. I would not have managed to get everything done had it not been for fellow RMWeb member, Andy Sharpe (leopard), who gave up his afternoon to come in and help with the set up. His help was much appreciated. I owe him! He has even put up most of the road signs.

I hope we get a good crowd through the door tomorrow. All funds raised will go towards developing the school's outdoor areas and also to help further stock the new library area. If you are coming tomorrow please come and say hello. I will be operating Skaleby West for most of the day. The layout will be located in the main corridor.

I have just arrived home after a hectic afternoon preparing the school for tomorrow's exhibition. We are all set up and ready for the exhibitors to arrive in the morning. I think today was our hardest set up because we are using every classroom in the school this year. I would not have managed to get everything done had it not been for fellow RMWeb member, Andy Sharpe (leopard), who gave up his afternoon to come in and help with the set up. His help was much appreciated. I owe him! He has even put up most of the road signs.

I hope we get a good crowd through the door tomorrow. All funds raised will go towards developing the school's outdoor areas and also to help further stock the new library area. If you are coming tomorrow please come and say hello. I will be operating Skaleby West for most of the day. The layout will be located in the main corridor.

See you tomorrow; you don't owe me at all, a productive afternoon on which I would otherwise have done nowt :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy for a lovely show - popped over for a what was only supposed to be a short visit at lunchtime...didn't leave till gone half 3! 

Lots of nice layouts, and good to catch up with Dava and to meet Jim Read properly for the first time - many thanks to Jim as well for letting me have a play with Moxley - a cracking little layout!

post-1365-0-76353700-1478973034_thumb.jpg

post-1365-0-73906200-1478973043_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

popped in for an hour after work earlier, a very nice little show, had a brief chat with andyram and others, well done all concerned

(i was tempted by a couple of items on the trade stalls but resisted, never got all the way home before parting with the cash i took with me at hobby goblin in stoke!)

Well what can I say. After a difficult start to the day, beginning with the tailgate on my car deciding it didn't want to open! Thanks to my oppo Alan for transporting my layout. Then realising that I'd not loaded the fiddleyard and that the layout was 3ft shorter than planned! Thanks to my missus for dropping it off. Don't think she appreciated being woken up early on a  Sunday morning tho!

Well done to Andy for organising a really well run exhibition and thanks for the invite. Pleased that quite a bit of money was raised for the school, makes the whole thing worthwhile.

SLACKS LANE STABLING POINT ran really well and has had interest for exhibitions in the future.

popped in for an hour after work earlier, a very nice little show, had a brief chat with andyram and others, well done all concerned

(i was tempted by a couple of items on the trade stalls but resisted, never got all the way home before parting with the cash i took with me at hobby goblin in stoke!)

Do tell......

Thank you for the kind messages from exhibitors and visitors alike. I sit and type this though bleary eyes after a very long day. The show did seem to be well attended with the car park full shortly after opening time. I understand that there were plenty of cars parked elsewhere in the village and the number 73 bus was pretty full on some of its morning trips from Derby. Numbers through the door were steady and we were busy during the morning, thinning out at lunch and having a slight lift again in the afternoon. This has been the trend for the last couple of shows. I think the numbers through the door were similar to last year, perhaps slightly up due to more children from the school being present.

The show was tinged with a hint of sadness for some. Unfortunately we lost the N gauge layout, Malmesbury, from our line up following the death of its owner, Chris Burch, last weekend. Our condolences go to his family. A number of people signed the condolence card and this will be posted off on Monday.

The 19 layouts that remained put on a great show. A big thank you to all the layout owners who supported us. We appreciate each and every one. A special mention must go to Ben Adlington (Moggs Eye) who travelled from East Lincs at his own expense to support us. His layout, Cottleston, was superb and finished joint 2nd in the best in show vote.

The winner of the "Best in Show 2016" was Garth Clarkson's Myton. It narrowly beat three other layouts in one of tightest ever votes. Congratulations to him.

I would also like to thank Andy Sharpe (leopard) once again. After all his help with setting up on Friday he arrived early on Saturday and put up some of the road signs as well as helping some layout owners with fetching and carrying. He also ran my Skaleby West layout for a while in the morning allowing me to have a look around. I think that is the first time I have ever had a proper look around a Weston show. I took plenty of photographs and will post them on here when I have some spare time.

Finally - the important bit. We raised a total of £972 for school funds which is our highest ever total profit. Thank you to every one once again.

Next year's date has already been set for Saturday 11th November. I think we have nine layouts already provisionally booked. As the date falls on Remembrance Day we will be looking to mark it in some way. I will certainly be on the look out for some war time layouts to mark the occasion. Watch this space.

I am now off to bed.

Archived