DERBY The Roundhouse, 7th & 8th May 2016

Mike Bellamy

Generally good, apart from the car-parking rip-off which I appreciate was largely outside the organisers' control.

However, I did feel the balance of layout styles exhibited - apart from 'Thomas' of course(!) - did seem very heavily weighted towards glorified 'shunting planks' this year.  Beautifully built and diversely stocked shunting planks to be sure, and each one taken individually a credit to their owners and operators ... but for the spectator the enjoyment offered by watching one engine shuffling half a dozen wagons around three or four short sidings for several minutes does start to cloy a bit when one moves on to the next layout, and the one after, and finds that it's essentially the same again ...  and then again ...

Enjoyed the show yesterday at Derby Roundhouse, took the short 20 minute train journey down from Chesterfield on one of EMT's (My former employers!) nice 'Meridian' units.

Arrived in Derby around 12:30 and went straight into the show, paying the £7 entrance fee and arrived straight into a very crowded Roundhouse venue and struggled at first to see many of the good selection of layouts, peering between heads in crowds.

I didn't spend very much at the show, only for refreshments (bag of Walkers crisps & chocolate bar) and a 30p N Gauge Society booklet describing small layout plans in a space of 4ft x 1ft.

After feeling that I had seen all that had needed to see during the 90 minutes that I was there for, I left the show and headed back across the station footbridge towards Derby city centre to look round the shops and treat myself to an ice cream before the rain came down as I returned to the station to catch the Glasgow bound Cross Country HST back home.

Sam 

• RMweb Premium

Generally good, apart from the car-parking rip-off which I appreciate was largely outside the organisers' control.

However, I did feel the balance of layout styles exhibited - apart from 'Thomas' of course(!) - did seem very heavily weighted towards glorified 'shunting planks' this year.  Beautifully built and diversely stocked shunting planks to be sure, and each one taken individually a credit to their owners and operators ... but for the spectator the enjoyment offered by watching one engine shuffling half a dozen wagons around three or four short sidings for several minutes does start to cloy a bit when one moves on to the next layout, and the one after, and finds that it's essentially the same again ...  and then again ...

I can see where you are coming from with that but I think that the nature of the venue makes it difficult to fit larger layouts in. At least in the main roundhouse. A long straight layout or a roundy roundy wouldn't really suit the circular layout of the room.

To be honest, I have pretty much given up on exhibitions as a source of inspiration when it comes to operation. I treat them as a chance to see some models that people have hopefully made rather than bought, to enjoy the scenic work and hopefully nick a few ideas and to pick up some bits from the trade. Most of all, I treat them as a social event, to spend some time with friends and to gather with people who share my interests.

At one time I used to look out for interesting operation and found myself getting frustrated at the lack of it. Once I stopped looking for it, I started enjoying shows again.

I can count the number of exhibition layouts where I actually find the operation interesting on the fingers of one hand. If there are roundy roundy layouts at a show, generally that is  what you get, a series of trains in fiddle yard loops going round one after the other.

At least at Derby, there was a big variety of prototypes on show, which is more than can be said for some shows.

But having said that, I can understand why somebody might eventually find the "Let's see how slowly we can push our 4 trucks along" approach a bit dull.

I hope that whatever closed the M1 twixt junctions 21 and 22 this morning did not affect attendance too badly.  I decided to divert to the A6, only to discover that everyone else who had been heading north on the M1 had the same idea.  When it became apparent that the queue to get onto the Leicester ring-road was the one I had joined at Market Harborough I abandoned and turned back.

Although not a member of the Mickelover Club, the fact that they were originally restricted to setting up on the Saturday Morning must have an effect on the setting up time of BIG Layouts.

Just back home from Derby...

Overall a very good show. Some of the issues from last year had been addressed - the additional catering outlet was useful (and well priced) and the library was better laid out with the large circulating space in the middle.

I agree with comments above on the sameness of many layouts, though there wasn't actually a 'Bad' one among them just some indifferent operation...

In summary a very good show, though in my view not quite matching the very high standard set last year. It just didn't seem to have the same 'buzz' and there seemed to be  fewer bodies in than on the Sunday last year...

Had a great day at the show today, a good venue a good mix of layouts in different scales something for everyone .

It was nice to see Albion yard ,diesels in the Dutchy, mill bank alley,a well organised show by the exhitibion team.

See you all next year .

• RMweb Gold

A small but positive thought - I very much appreciated the A5 programme - easily folded into a jeans pocket and looked at when required and preferable to the A4  that often gets stuffed into a bag and forgotten...

Chris

Hello

Thanks to Alex and the Mickleover crew for inviting us and putting on an excellent show in a terrific venue. Apologies to any-one who was dis-appointed with Georgemas Jct but we did have a few operating gremlins which will hopefully be sorted in the next year before the layout appears in public again.

Cheers

George

Horses for courses.

The attraction of small layouts is they show the average punter that a nice model railway is achievable is short space of time, will fit in an spare bedroom and wont cost the earth to construct. Plus if you make a mistake, get bored or change scale (for instance) the upheaval is non too great to start a new project.

Small layouts are actually quite tricky to get right IMHO - having 30' x 10' almost makes it easy. And to be brutally frank some of the larger layouts doin' the rounds at the moment, despite the high quality modelling I hasten to add, I find as dull as dish water to watch.

All about personal taste really I guess - who'd be an exhibition manager eh!!

• RMweb Premium

. . .  car-parking rip-off

. . .  very heavily weighted towards glorified 'shunting planks' this year.

I was sorry to read your comment about 'rip-off' parking and would ask you to explain. Although I was not part of the negotiations with The Roundhouse I did spend both days inside the building around the entrance area and yours is the first comment that I have heard about the parking. As far as I am aware there was a charge of £1 which went to the College's contractors who are employed to manage the parking for all outside events - it is a fixed fee and part of our contract.

The point made about 'shunting planks' has been noted and is a difficulty we are aware of. As I mentioned in #70 on the previous page we only finalised our contract a few weeks ago and couldn't commit to anything that would need to be set up on Friday - last year every layout and trader had to arrive on Saturday and we thought that the same might happen again and had to go with those that we knew would fit and could if necessary be put up quickly. We now have access on Friday night but as has been pointed out in other comments above, the size and shape of the building does make it more difficult fitting things in unlike a square sports hall - having 20 pillars and a turntable don't help either !!

Mike

I had a fantastic weekend, so thanks to Alex and club members for making this a memorable show for me.

Keep booking the same high standard, broad spectrum layouts that were evident this weekend, if you can sneak in a roundy roundy or two, be prepared for them to be the wrong scale, wrong era, or just plain to modern,

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

I had a fantastic weekend, so thanks to Alex and club members for making this a memorable show for me.

Keep booking the same high standard, broad spectrum layouts that were evident this weekend, if you can sneak in a roundy roundy or two, be prepared for them to be the wrong scale, wrong era, or just plain to modern,

Paul.

Thanks Paul - I was unsure if I should click 'Thanks' for your very positive posting or 'Funny' for the comments about the need for a roundy roundy layout(s).

• RMweb Gold

Speaking personally, I didnt think that two quid to park all day in a city centre was anything other than a bargain!

Compared with the NEC for example, or the station car park just across the road from the Roundhouse, it's a steal.

Anyway, I agree it's outside the organisers' control, so a moot point maybe?

Excellent show. I didn't miss a big OO roundy-roundy, though there could have been more N-gauge ones to help make up for that.

I paid £1.50 to park, having arrived just before 9.30am and used the staff car park. Not a rip-off. I suspect the station carpark was the real ripoff, but most station carparks are. I've no idea how much the one further out was.

Les

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Just wanted to say a massive thanks everyone involved in the show from the Mickelover group & to Alex for inviting the layout to the show. My self, Dave and Will had a great time and thougly enjoyed ourselves. Had the chance to meet up with friends and chat to members of the public.

Had some lovely feedback about the layout and had a few invites as well so I am very happy.

I know the problems faced by the team at Derby having to fit square pegs in to a large round hole, having organised to Darlington show at the collage in the round reception area. It can be very limiting in what you can have and will cause trouble but I feel a good job was done and it was nice to be able to exhibit in such a magnificent building such as the roundhouse.

Myself and the team can't wait to return in the future.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

, I didnt think that two quid to park all day in a city centre was anything other than a bargain!

I paid £1.50 to park, having arrived just before 9.30am and used the staff car park. Not a rip-off. I suspect the station carpark was the real ripoff, but most station carparks are. I've no idea how much the one further out was.

Now that's interesting and needs investigating - it was certainly £1 last year and we thought it would be the same this time - but two different charges are quoted . . .?

In answer to Les's question, the Station Car Park was £7.50 and the Pay and Display car park was £5. See also my post #48 on page 2 where this was mentioned previously complete with an aerial photo.

Those who have been coming to our shows for a while will remember the Assembly Rooms in the Market Place - the car park there is now £9.10 including Sundays - now that could be described as a 'Rip-Off' especially as the building is now closed !

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed the show, having been out of the UK last year the venue is a big improvement on moorways.Good selection of layouts with something for everyone.

My experience of parking was that the only car parks available shortly before opening seemed to be the station and the $5 public one, the only steward was just protecting the exhibitor car park and no college parks seemed to be available. This is just for information, not a gripe.

Dava

Speaking personally, I didnt think that two quid to park all day in a city centre was anything other than a bargain!

I paid £1.50 to park, having arrived just before 9.30am and used the staff car park.

Now that's interesting and needs investigating - it was certainly £1 last year and we thought it would be the same this time - but two different charges are quoted . . .?

Mike - I was also charged £2. That was  c10:20 on Sunday in the barriered car park off the roundabout immediately in front of the Roundhouse...

• RMweb Premium

I was also asked for £2 to go into the barriered car park to the left of the Roundhouse adjacent to the building marked "Reception". I did look for signs but couldn't see any and the "small print" attached to the fence suggested that the normal fee on a Saturday was £1. He could have asked for whatever amount he wanted as there was no written notice of the charge anywhere.

I don't think that £2 for a decent secure carpark just outside the venue is anything other than a bargain.

It would have been helpful if the carparks had been signed "Exhibition Parking" or suchlike but it wasn't too much of a challenge to wind the window down and ask. 

Home safe and well, thanks to everyone at Derby for making it a pleasant weekend(can you sort the rain out next time) hope everyone enjoyed my little slice of US modelling with 59th and Rust, it seamed to go down well(even though it's a switching plank)

There was a great selection of quality layouts on view, even though there was no roundy roundy layouts(didn't go home dizzy this time)think this all stems from there being no Friday night set up last year, but this will change I have been told.

£2 for parking all day, a steal

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Home safe and well, thanks to everyone at Derby for making it a pleasant weekend(can you sort the rain out next time) hope everyone enjoyed my little slice of US modelling with 59th and Rust, it seamed to go down well(even though it's a switching plank)

There was a great selection of quality layouts on view, even though there was no roundy roundy layouts(didn't go home dizzy this time)think this all stems from there being no Friday night set up last year, but this will change I have been told.

£2 for parking all day, a steal

Ray

Ray

We took the sun down to Devon :sungum:

Archived