Tommore Bay (change to the project from page 2 onwards)

andyram

20 DAYS TO GO

Another day, and some more progress to report. The platform has been glued down this afternoon. This will allow the ballasting to be undertaken perhaps later in the week. The platform pieces can be seen, held down by various heavy objects whilst the glue dries.

IMG_7436.jpg.fcad9377b042a445b0a3980da6e4e98c.jpg

To the left of the platform I have the lamp hut and the signal box. I am not sure that this looks a bit cramped against the track and whether the space on the opposite side would be better for signal box location. Thoughts are welcome. 

IMG_7642.jpg.b5407ead9056854fd4585721b45d121c.jpg

19 DAYS TO GO

Small progress to report. With the platform glued down, I have begun to build up the rear section to fill the gap between the platform and back scene. Some of the off cuts of balsa wood have been used to form the base.

2941F988-BFCE-4DF0-840C-013729839FDD.jpeg.f710dfd2b798fbbbe281d66c361d9111.jpeg

• Like 1

11 DAYS TO GO

At present there is just 11 days until the likely date the shop reopens. Not a lot of progress has happened this week so completion is looking next to impossible. How far away things will be come the planned finish date remains to be seen. Small progress to report today. The balsa wood has been cut to size to form the rear of the platform. This will allow the main station building to be supported. Hopefully more progress to report soon.

IMG_0178.jpg.1aa2d86db74b7f06a6b651f405ff73f4.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately the self imposed deadline passed a week ago with the layout some distance from completion. The preparation for the reopening of the shop took over much of my time over the last couple of weeks. 

I will return to working on the layout soon and my next target is to try and complete by August 6th which is the shop's third anniversary. Perhaps I can display it in the shop on that date. 

Tommore Bay has seen some visitors today with the station used as a backdrop for photographing some items from a recently purchased collection. The largest visitor was Coronation Class 46256 "Sir William A Stanier". Here it pauses in the platform after a test run.

IMG_1045.jpg.df50250ca762853acfb7f907d3b1a53e.jpg

The Coronation was soon followed by Parallel boilered Scot 46165 "The Ranger", seen here entering the platform.

1719662819_Scot2.jpg.60ae87d1665ed3c168caa1a204222068.jpg

Another light engine passing through was Patriot class 45543 "Home Guard"

518915382_Patriot3.jpg.5f458a6193748b5bfc8e440c21fb019a.jpg

Jubilee class 45611 "Hong Kong" pauses in the platform for checks after the crew were concerned by a clanking sound when running in reverse.

85915936_Jubilee2.jpg.7ce0cd92f739d5af84696b2200238394.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, andyram said:

Unfortunately the self imposed deadline passed a week ago with the layout some distance from completion. The preparation for the reopening of the shop took over much of my time over the last couple of weeks. 

I will return to working on the layout soon and my next target is to try and complete by August 6th which is the shop's third anniversary. Perhaps I can display it in the shop on that date. 

Tommore Bay has seen some visitors today with the station used as a backdrop for photographing some items from a recently purchased collection. The largest visitor was Coronation Class 46256 "Sir William A Stanier". Here it pauses in the platform after a test run.

IMG_1045.jpg.df50250ca762853acfb7f907d3b1a53e.jpg

The Coronation was soon followed by Parallel boilered Scot 46165 "The Ranger", seen here entering the platform.

1719662819_Scot2.jpg.60ae87d1665ed3c168caa1a204222068.jpg

Another light engine passing through was Patriot class 45543 "Home Guard"

518915382_Patriot3.jpg.5f458a6193748b5bfc8e440c21fb019a.jpg

Jubilee class 45611 "Hong Kong" pauses in the platform for checks after the crew were concerned by a clanking sound when running in reverse.

Andy, great photos. Lovely surprise! Always good to take advantage of what you have.

Re deadline. From experience, may I suggest you bring your deadline forward of August 6th. Allow time to appreciate what you have achieved and a chance to have a more detached 2nd look. Anything untoward can then be dealt with without too much panic! Also, speaking from experience, forget about some of the more minor details until after it is presentable or presented. It is so easy to get hooked on finishing a particular area/item at the expense of another, or getting a bit of detailing done that could really wait but delays progress.

Good luck with the layout, it will be fine in the end, and best wishes to you and for the shop in the coming months.

Polly

42 minutes ago, southern42 said:

Andy, great photos. Lovely surprise! Always good to take advantage of what you have.

Re deadline. From experience, may I suggest you bring your deadline forward of August 6th. Allow time to appreciate what you have achieved and a chance to have a more detached 2nd look. Anything untoward can then be dealt with without too much panic! Also, speaking from experience, forget about some of the more minor details until after it is presentable or presented. It is so easy to get hooked on finishing a particular area/item at the expense of another, or getting a bit of detailing done that could really wait but delays progress.

Good luck with the layout, it will be fine in the end, and best wishes to you and for the shop in the coming months.

Polly

Thanks Polly

At the moment I have a clear idea about what I need to do to progress the next stages of the layout. I want to complete the rear of the platform by building up the section with plaster bandage before applying some static grass and trees etc. I then aim to ballast the track and complete the tunnel mouth. Some of the finer details can definitely wait as you say. Overall I am happy with the look of the layout and will be using it for more photos in future as well as enjoying operating it when I can. 

The first week back in the shop has been the busiest ever which is why I have not had much chance to work on the layout or even frequent RMWeb. 

Whilst August 6th is a target date, I will not lose any sleep if it is not done by then. I agree, it is important to enjoy it.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Great to see everything is coming together. I look forward to seeing your progress. And glad you are doing well in the shop. As a friend of mine always says: keep trucking.

Polly