Netherlands DD-AR push pu sets

mabel

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone successfully cobbled up (sorry, converted) a Dutch push pull set from Piko / Roco double deckers and driving trailers in other liveries ? I know these are available aplenty in Holland model shops, but the prices are staggering !

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone successfully cobbled up (sorry, converted) a Dutch push pull set from Piko / Roco double deckers and driving trailers in other liveries ? I know these are available aplenty in Holland model shops, but the prices are staggering !

Thanks

Not a starter, I think, as very different profile.

You could go to modelling in N. Some nice NS dd stock on Shapeways (Designer is on RMWeb but I can't remember his name).

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I have seen the old Lima sets, but they are very expensive for basic models. The Rivarossi version (Hornby / Lima retool?) appears from time to time, but again very expensive. Trix have a reasonably priced 4 car set but unsure of the quality

• RMweb Gold

The Piko double-deckers are definitely not NS! Yes, they may be yellow and have a large NS logo, but it's a DB BR146 (banned in NL) and some very German Dosto's, also not allowed in Holland. So, don't even bother :no:  What you want are the Lima/Rivarossi: DD-AR sets, dating from the 90's. Hornby may or mat not have released a new batch of these.

I had forgotten the Lima ones. But were they 1:100 length?

• RMweb Gold

*of the quite "inbred" crowd of Dutch modellers. There's a reason I've effectively turned my back on that, some ego's have to be seen/experienced to be believed :butcher:

As it happens, I do have a Lima set. IIRC there's some really minor damage to the cab car, but if there is, only superficial. Should the OP want it, we'll may come to an agreement. :dontknow:

I know what you mean regards ego's with those that model Dutch railways! I have met a few modellers from across the Channel over the last ten years or so. I just smiled politely :)

Yes, I could well be interested in your Lima set. If you could pm me any details I would be greatful

Thanks

Tony

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not a DD-AR but a Artirec does a DDM1 set and for a limited time there is an offer of an extra coach free.

Not a cheap option by any means (en hypotheek nodig) but a cracking model.

Www.artitec.nl

Stephen

Appologies for the awful Dutch....

• RMweb Premium

I've never seen the Artitec models in person but based on pictures they do look terrific. Although not cheap, looking at typical prices for good coach models they do not seem unduly expensive. The old Lima models show their age now with rather basic detail but I thought they did a good job in capturing the look of the real trains.

The issue of coach scale is one of the irritants of HO modelling and has never gone away. I am a 1/87 person but sometimes I do see 1/100 or 1/93 models of types not available in 1/87 which look good. The problem is that the difference in scale is too obvious to mix scales without destroying the illusion that scale modelling tries to create so I am rigid in sticking to 1/87.

Artirec do produce some great models, I saw thie DDM1 set on their stand at an exibition and was really impressed.

Artirec models Also are 1:87 scale and agree that some models take lose liberties with scale (liliput MAK diesel 6400 springs to mind)

The like a few of the Lima models the DD-AR captures the prototype fairly well but put it next to something 1:87 scale it looks small and does not capture the shear bulk and size which lets it down.

Anyway I saw this advert on the back of Rail magazine that Artitec have a zomeractie for an extra coach free with each DDM1 set and thought of this post

Stephenpost-14805-0-53192900-1472588803.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

When I first got interested in HO in the 80's I remember some fellows in the club I was a member of using the phrase "scale length idiot" to describe people who went down the 1/87 path. At that time most available coaches were 1/100 although Roco had started doing quite a few 1/87 models and companies like Lilliput did 1/87 models so the range of available models was much smaller. At that time one of the big attractions of Ade was that they were true 1/87 models, they were also beautiful models but very expensive (even by good HO standards), I still have Ade coach models from the 80's and 90's and it is a testament to their attention to detail that they still match current offerings for detail and finish.

Archived