NSE branded blue/grey Mk1's in Scotland

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

Just been watching the Video 125 production 'Skyetrain', a drivers eye view from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalash made in 1987 I think.  In the formation of blue and grey stock  behind 37262 'Dounreay' about fourth or fifth coach is a Mk1, probably a TSO in blue and grey with Network SouthEast branding on it (Yes, that made me do a double take and rewind when I first saw it as well!!) 

There also appeared to be another one in the rather strange formation with two BG's randomly inserted among the other coaches in the set passing the other way at one point.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any photos of these interlopers north of the border and/or their numbers please?

Thanks!

• RMweb Premium

A little bit of detective work (and some educated guessing) after consulting the 1987 Platform 5 Combined Volume, annoyingly I don't have 1988 shows two Mk1 TSO's in blue and grey allocated to Inverness that were part of a batch once allocated to the Southern Region who apparently substituted the as built Commonwealth bogies for BR1's for no readily apparent reason.  If the two shown on the DVD in 1987 were former Southern Region ones which carrying NSE branding makes sense then in theory that makes at least one of them either 4902 or 4916, now fittted with B4's underneath instead.

Will need to watch the DVD again to see what they are running on!

If it is 1987 / 1988, then there was quite a swap of Mark 1 coaches on both the West Highland and North Highland lines, to take into account the swap from Class 37/0 to 37/4, and to align all the coaches to the same type to reduce maintenance costs
The use of 37262 suggests a 37/4 was not available

I have all the Platform 5 books that cover this time period, but I cannot see any suitable Mark 1 TSO that has been transferred to Inverness
However, it may have been a transfer to Polmadie and temporarily on loan to Inverness awaiting maintenance cycle

• RMweb Gold

HI all,

The fact that a number of NSE liveried Mk1 and Mk2 coaches came to Scotland in the late 80's and early 90's is well known and there were several photos out there that confirm this.

However, so far, trying to get the actual numbers of the coaches involved has been unsuccessful.

I did have a list of shortcuts for Fotopic photos that showed them in service.

However with no Fotopic any more I've not found them elsewhere.

There was a bit in Rail Enthusiast about them but trawling through the back issues is a pain.

Thanks

edit. - Having said that I hadn't found any photos recently - a couple have popped up!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72123072@N04/8676321854/in/photolist-i3Sm3o-9wjfHt-9vUe7D-8LEuAt-8SVbNP-8PYbBQ-eYiNdJ-oFuifz-oFGcuk-8XnJ7P-ibym7Y-ebZUbp-aQgiTa-cYtKpE-dfSfiD-a6mpVu-8Ztzcj-cYtKXu-bAYcgW-9PLWUy-ebZUbM-eepqLe-91WP5Y-bx8wSx-8YjtDK-bCr7Ev-vZ3npk-95hmL8-aq65Gx-9u19pD-dhUzT2-i4DK9n-9X2XFD-aVM4wD-aKz6UV-aUGMR4-edGqd7-c2VXAC-aUok2a

https://www.flickr.com/photos/81899355@N04/8148561167/

Edited by Scottish Modeller

• RMweb Premium

Well done!!  Wondering if that first picture is a SK though as it has curtains, I think the second one is a TSO though.  Still can't see any numbers so will just pick something that feels right.

Hi,

I think that second photo is or 18845 which was an OM allocated coach which was then transfered north in 1988. It didn't survive into 1989 so must have been in a bad condition.

Regards

Vin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

The Kyle line formations at that time were planned to have a BG in the middle of the 3/4 car set to ease the loading/unloading of mails/papers/Red Star traffic at intermediate stations. The other BG was added to the set from the overnight service from Glasgow/Edinburgh giving it its odd looking formation. IIRC the additional BG was allocated to Bounds Green and was one of a diagram that took variously Kings Cross/Edinburgh/Inverness/Wick/Thurso/Kyle/Red Bank/Bristol TM. They were all DB/DH vehicles and were from a shunters point of view a royal pain as all inter vehicle connections had to be coupled - both air bags, vacuum, steam heat, ETH and RCH lighting connectors which was quite time consuming! 

Not perhaps the help you were after but it might help with the train formations!

Cheers G  

• Like 1

A little bit of detective work (and some educated guessing) after consulting the 1987 Platform 5 Combined Volume, annoyingly I don't have 1988 shows two Mk1 TSO's in blue and grey allocated to Inverness that were part of a batch once allocated to the Southern Region who apparently substituted the as built Commonwealth bogies for BR1's for no readily apparent reason.

Wasn't that part of the refurbishment programme for the 4CEP/BEPs which all ended up with Commonwealth bogies whether they were built with them or not?

• 1 year later...

Hello

Just been watching the Video 125 production 'Skyetrain', a drivers eye view from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalash made in 1987 I think.  In the formation of blue and grey stock  behind 37262 'Dounreay' about fourth or fifth coach is a Mk1, probably a TSO in blue and grey with Network SouthEast branding on it (Yes, that made me do a double take and rewind when I first saw it as well!!) 

There also appeared to be another one in the rather strange formation with two BG's randomly inserted among the other coaches in the set passing the other way at one point.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any photos of these interlopers north of the border and/or their numbers please?

Thanks!

Hello everyone

Bachmann

Been running to lnverness by that twin coach

post-1297-0-85429900-1502672851.jpg