York Model Railway Show - Easter 2010

BigMal

I have not seen the floor plan yet but presume New Hey will be on the ground floor - folk are welcome to meet here.

How about a class 40 or 24 or even a Black 5 with sound on New Hey, yes i know your DC but as long as your not using high frequency rail cleaners why not.

Visiting Saturday early hope to catch a word or two with you.

• RMweb Gold
We'll be there with our On30 layout 'Buffalo River' - on the second floor unfortunately!

Good, big lifts though Norm, shouldn't be a problem. I will be there too alternating stints, either on Stand 37 (Stephenson Loco Soc) or the Show Information Stand.

• RMweb Gold

Changed contact numbers and email addresses.

Solely as a consequence of Mike's accident as mentioned earlier in this thread contacts for the 2010 Show have been revised and can be found on the York Show website Contacts page. These revised contact details are valid through to the end of Show and replace those printed in the model railway press as those were issued before Mike's accident.

Advance ticket purchases - option now closed for 2010

The deadline for submitting postal applications for 2010 Advance tickets, Saturday 27th March, has now passed

Lost property show hours mobile number. As a housekeeping lesson learnt from previous shows a temporary mobile phone number is available this year so that when you get home and find you lost your bankcards, bus pass. newly bought kit or whatever you can contact us to see if it has been handed in. Number is on the web-page as link above.

I shall be there with Charwelton - ( wot no O gauge! ), I hope and expect to see a number of familiar faces! Looking forward to it, although I'm going to miss my cats!

Are you planning on shunting the goods yard or running ore trains via the branch this year? have never seen any of these done on Charwelton

There is a movement in the sequence to shunt the goods yard Waggy, that depends on the operators at the time. I suppose that refelects the very light traffic there. What we should have done was to build in a working to stable empty minerals there which often happened when Woodford was very busy.

Someone was suppose to build a rake of iron ore wagons for the branch, that hasn't happened, so that also reflects the intermittent working of the branch in the early 60s. That's a pity 'cos all the infrastructure is there for working it and there was a great working that came out of Woodford known as 'round the world', going to Byfield and Charwelton, and then back to Woodford to service the iron ore quarries. We wouldnt do a working at a show that we had not practised before hand in the club room. I'd say it's unlikely there will be more significant development with the layout - I've moved on to 7mm and live a long way from the club now, and the other guys have moved on to other projects.

I hope that's not too disappointing, hopefully the layout represents well the fact that most of the trains on the GC main line passed through Charwelton without stopping!

Enjoy the show.

Regards

Tony

Those exhibiting or trading will be pleased to learn that the tea urns etc are now packed onto the van and should arrive at the racecourse tomorrow morning ready for brewing up on Friday when you arrive to set up.

Se you then

Peter

Those exhibiting or trading will be pleased to learn that the tea urns etc are now packed onto the van and should arrive at the racecourse tomorrow morning ready for brewing up on Friday when you arrive to set up.

Se you then

Peter

Peter

Excellent news, we will be arriving with New Hey around 11:30, it will be 4 coffees and one tea with a splash of milk please biggrin.gif

Guest TomTank

I'll be there for about 10.30 with my Dad (not really an enthusiast like me...he will most likely find a chair to sit on for the day)

I have read about a bus service between the station and the show, how much is it out of interest?

Tom

I had thought of going - until I saw that Notwork Rail were digging up the tracks between Stevenage and Peterborough - 1 train an hour of sardines isn't my idea of fun! angry.gif

What's you job then Matey - so that I can take the pi** out of it in return :angry:

Paul, Southernman - comments noted, no more please.

Maybe one day members will learn two things - that whatever occupation they criticise, there is likely to be another member who holds that occupation, and that deliberately corrupting the name of an organisation isn't actually that funny.

Cheers.

Guest TomTank

Just back from the show, I enjoyed it, felt like there wasn't as many trade stands when compared to other shows like Doncaster. Got two coaches one super detailed teak sleeper and pullman with lights, also got Tony Wright's new book of LNER Pacifics 'modelling options'

What photos I did take were of the Bachmann stand

The new G Scale Thomas models, I must admit they look very nice

030420102019.jpg

The new Coaling tower....this is definitley on my shopping list!

030420102021.jpg

The new Bachmann's sheds are really nice, If the Picton Whiske Shed lines were slightly longer... Really nice addition to a large MPD

030420102020.jpg

Now my favourites :D

The A2s, heard mention of May/June

First up 60532 'BLUE PETER'

030420102022.jpg

525 'A.H PEPPERCORN'

030420102023.jpg

60537 'BACHELOR'S BUTTON'

030420102024.jpg

Good to see Mallard60022 again too :)

Had another excellent trip to the exhibition in York today.

I took my young nephew who was disappointed at the lack of modern era layouts. Personally i like steam/early diesels layouts.

One of my favourites Rowlands Gill, plus Wheal Elizabeth made for essential viewing,

I thought there were not the crowds that i have seen other years awaiting entrance at 10am. Congratulations must go for a well organised ticket office that enabled speedy entrance to the show.

Having been to Doncaster earlier this year. i still rate Easter at York the better show for layouts. Though not for traders.

Moorlander

Spent all day Saturday at the show, so it must have been a good one! Busy to start with, but thinned out after dinner. Got 3 Gresley n gauge teak coaches from Trainlines of Derby at only £18.95 each, so well pleased with that. Not the best York show I've been to, but a good show all the same.

Just got back after spending the day at the show. Didn't seem quite as crowded as in previous years, though the high price of fuel may account for people not travelling as far. Nice to see a couple of layouts that I recognised from photos here. Whilst there was plenty of trade selling excellent modelling materials, there didn't seem to be many with much choice of Bachmann wagons. I sat and had a good conversation with John Wigston (I have a good number of his paintings including the originals of 'Eden Valley standard' and 'In the beginning' so I'm probably one of his best customers). Thoroughly enjoyed it. It must be popular still because my father and I arrived around 9:20 and were still not the first in the queue. We were, however, lucky to be undercover as we waited and could press our faces to the glass and see two of the big layouts really well.

• RMweb Premium

[quote name='TomTank' date='03 April 2010 - 17:40 ' timestamp='1270312805' post='114765']

Just back from the show, I enjoyed it, felt like there wasn't as many trade stands when compared to other shows like Doncaster. Got two coaches one super detailed teak sleeper and pullman with lights, also got Tony Wright's new book of LNER Pacifics 'modelling options'

What photos I did take were of the Bachmann stand

Good to see Mallard60022 again too :)

Cheers Tom. Thanks for the Bachhy pics; must try to 'escape' to see them on Monday!! :rolleyes:

Enjoyed today (Saturday) as a Trader (well stand tea boy anyway!) and managed to have a quick look at some stuff early on. Good to speak with so many patient and good natured customers (even three from FINLAND); good luck with the work chaps.

Got my little bits and bobs from the always helpful Parkside D and Wizard M's (thanks guys);)

Really great team the show gang, who were also so generous with cake and drinks from the 'mess'; good on you and best wishes to the 'absent' colleague - get well soon bud.

I am lucky (is that the right word?) to have tomorrow off (well doing music instead) but will be there Monday and I hope to see many of you then. Do come and say hello and if the ECML is being dug up, (remember we are on holiday and those blokes are working), use Midland M Line and then go to Leeds/York! C U there.

Very sincerely, Phil @ Comet.

Im going to try as many pubs as possible this year! last time I was there I went to one called the wonky donkey which was nice smile.gif

Mike

They've got a piano in there now!

It's called the plinky-plonky-wonkey-donkey now! ;)

Spent a full day there yesterday and whilst the layouts were the usual high standard, I couldn't help but think the trade was lacking this year. The days when there was a good selection of smaller traders covering most genres, scales etc seem gone for good. Admittedly, many of the favourite traders from York in years gone by have disappeared or stopped doing shows (D&S, C&G, Slaters, Fox et al), but there are surely others who would like the opportunity to attend one of the hobby's showcase events and it didn't look as though space was a problem. Even some of those who had been there in recent years (Modern Structures in Miniature for one) were missing.

Whilst I was dissappointed that there was no S/H book seller (one of my vices), what brought it home was the fact I couldn't find anyone selling Knightwing castings or who had a Peco buffer stop!

On the rest of the show, Charwelton, New Hey, Peffermil Rd, Moortown and Wheal Elizabeth were probably the highlights but virtually all were of a high standard. Driffield disappointed, every time I went to see it, there was little running and it looked like problems with the operation which was a shame as having seen it at Hull a couple of years back, it is a great layout.

The numbers looked to be down on recent years, certainly didn't seem as crowded, but that did make it a more pleasant experience.

Having only missed one York show in the last 16 and only missed 5 in the last 35, it's become the routine thing to do on Easter Saturday but I'm starting to think maybe Ally Pally or Nottingham would have been a better bet. Railex seems to have surpassed York in trade and maybe also layout content but York scores very highly as a venue and it would be a tragedy for it to slip down the ladder.

They've got a piano in there now! It's called the plinky-plonky-wonkey-donkey now! ;)

I heard it's played by a partially sighted dwarf so perhaps it should it be;

Blinky-dinky-plinky-plonky-wonkey-donkey? B) (sorry - couldn't resist)

G.

Archived