Mystery Photo's Southern region 1970's & other Rails in England

From photos Winwick was clear of wires in 1970

Electrification started from Weaver Junction in 1970 heading North with completion in 1974. Given the photo is either spring 71 or autumn 71 it is likley that wires would have got to Winwick/South Lancs by then, even if they were not energised.   

• RMweb Gold

Electrification started from Weaver Junction in 1970 heading North with completion in 1974. Given the photo is either spring 71 or autumn 71 it is likley that wires would have got to Winwick/South Lancs by then, even if they were not energised.   

Don't take it personally but that's an opinion and I've seen many such opinions become "facts" - some form of evidence is needed for me.

http://www.hwells.co.uk/page10.html - March 1971 and no wires at Warrington.

I've seen - many years ago - a wiring train at Winwick Junction box (typically I can't find it anywhere now) which, if dated, would confirm the date the wires went up in the area.

In either case I'm reasonably confident I've shown it's not Winwick.

• RMweb Gold

Don't take it personally but that's an opinion and I've seen many such opinions become "facts" - some form of evidence is needed for me.

I've seen - many years ago - a wiring train at Winwick Junction box (typically I can't find it anywhere now) which, if dated, would confirm the date the wires went up in the area.

Well I can possibly help in where you saw those pictures of the wiring train at Winwick - 'Electric Euston to Glasgow' by O S Nock has two pictures taken there of the wiring trains. The bad news is that they are not dated!

Rob

I am not saying it is north of Winwick juntion, just that your arguments are opinion also. The topgraphy fits, the powerlines fits, the motive power fits; other things are not consistent such as the tree and the length of the railings but these are much more likely to change over 35 years. In terms of the overheads they are fairly new Mk3s with a stayed post indicating an end of a section of wire to the left. However, there is no sign of the tensioning equipment (or for that matter any overhead wires but that could be due to the resolution). Until there is any evidence as to the timetable for electricfation work for this section of WCML there isn nothing to say that this could not be a phote from the WCML in late 71  

• RMweb Gold

I am not saying it is north of Winwick juntion, just that your arguments are opinion also. The topgraphy fits, the powerlines fits, the motive power fits; other things are not consistent such as the tree and the length of the railings but these are much more likely to change over 35 years. In terms of the overheads they are fairly new Mk3s with a stayed post indicating an end of a section of wire to the left. However, there is no sign of the tensioning equipment (or for that matter any overhead wires but that could be due to the resolution). Until there is any evidence as to the timetable for electricfation work for this section of WCML there isn nothing to say that this could not be a phote from the WCML in late 71  

My arguments are not opinions - they are formed from the **evidence** I presented, whether you agree with that or not is a potentially different matter, but they are not opinions - if they were I would state as much, I don't do random guesses.

• RMweb Gold

Can I try to resurrect Colwich? Not really my area, but I have been under those bridges a time or two, both by bus and car. I believe the pic was taken from a train on the Up Stoke line. The canal is not absent, indeed, above the edge of the bridge we can see some folk who are either gongoozling on the towpath or atop a narrowboat.

There really aren't too many locations like this, I feel.

• RMweb Premium

Can I try to resurrect Colwich? Not really my area, but I have been under those bridges a time or two, both by bus and car. I believe the pic was taken from a train on the Up Stoke line. The canal is not absent, indeed, above the edge of the bridge we can see some folk who are either gongoozling on the towpath or atop a narrowboat.

Assuming the road in picture would be Meadow lane if it was Colwick, then I think the bridge is too short and in Google street view the metal railing only have 4 posts in the ground https://www.google.pt/maps/@52.7897151,-1.9948464,3a,75y,208.8h,92.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siYY9qgWjNI9hQJl7lhn4Qw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

and the bridge doesn't look like it's been rebuilt.

In the photo in question, the green ground looks slightly parched and the trees autumnal, so my guess would be late in the year rather than spring. Since beast66606's evidence confirms no wires at Winwick in March 71, could they not have appeared by late autumn?

• RMweb Gold

Assuming the road in picture would be Meadow lane if it was Colwick, then I think the bridge is too short and in Google street view the metal railing only have 4 posts in the ground https://www.google.pt/maps/@52.7897151,-1.9948464,3a,75y,208.8h,92.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siYY9qgWjNI9hQJl7lhn4Qw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

and the bridge doesn't look like it's been rebuilt.

In the photo in question, the green ground looks slightly parched and the trees autumnal, so my guess would be late in the year rather than spring. Since beast66606's evidence confirms no wires at Winwick in March 71, could they not have appeared by late autumn?

See my reply here which clarifies my case for it not being Winwick

Edit.

Although I've been convinced it probably is !

I do like a healthy debate and all the suggestions have been most welcome. That photo has become a bit of a dichotomy, however I'm confident we'll pinpoint the location sooner rather than later.

In the meantime lets take a look at these. Now where are we...? 

British-Rail-Hymek-1971-DMU.jpg

Hymek on on mixed freight from rear cab of DMU   CL0005

BR-Southern-depot-sidings-1.jpg

Carriage Sidings with a distinctive clock tower on amenity building CL0006

British-Rail-Station-Warshi.jpg

A busy coastal station arrival hauled by a Western?  CL0007

BR-DMU-cab-view-passing-Typ.jpg

Passing a type 4 / class 47 passenger service viewed from the cab of DMU   CL0008

As always, any input is more than welcome as to the locations it's much appreciated. But most importantly just enjoy the images as much as I've had posting them. Cheers   

Having just come in via Winwick southbound and immediately retuned north on the WCML I too believe that Peak to be on the line to Earlestown.

The only thing missing is the line of trees, I've snapped a couple of photos but I don't know how good they are yet

I have blown the photo up somewhat and have to conclude that the gongoozling folk are actually the heads of cattle in that field between the two lines. They look like Herefords with white faces and pale brown colours elsewhere.

The power lines may be the key, but I don't have the 1970s OS maps (8th series?) to look at. The Nat Lib Of Scotland side by side maps are only the 7th series and are not modern enough to show all the extra grid structures built during the 1960s.

There might be power lines at Colwich, from Rugeley power station, but the road looks wrong somehow. It is annoying that the tree obscures the view on the right, but the road would have to pass under the line that the Peak is on, and to me it just doesn't look as if it does that.

The set of grid power lines nearest to the camera are not associated with the pylon nearest the camera (extreme left).  That suggests three separate sets of power lines which appear to be converging not too far away from the location. However, without a 1970s map of power station locations it is difficult to trace where the electricity lines might originate.

Having just come in via Winwick southbound and immediately retuned north on the WCML I too believe that Peak to be on the line to Earlestown.

The only thing missing is the line of trees, I've snapped a couple of photos but I don't know how good they are yet

Looking at the trees and hedgerows, I believe that Jan/Feb is the most likely time for the Peak photo. There are no traces of leaves on the branches or on the ground which ought to rule out autumn.  Although the shadows are not very helpful, it does look as if the sun is about top right, i.e. the train is heading almost directly towards it.

This would tend to rule out any north facing junction.

• RMweb Gold

Try www.old-maps.co.uk for larger scale maps.

The area round Winwick shows two power lines running E-W in the area of the junction, and some later ones show a third one south of Burtonwood closer to the M6. I don't recall any power lines around Colwich.

BTW, when it come to sensitive areas the Russian military maps on that site sometimes show more detail than to OS ones (but I still haven't found the Strategic reserve marked).

• RMweb Gold

The area round Winwick shows two power lines running E-W in the area of the junction, and some later ones show a third one south of Burtonwood closer to the M6. I don't recall any power lines around Colwich.

BTW, when it come to sensitive areas the Russian military maps on that site sometimes show more detail than to OS ones (but I still haven't found the Strategic reserve marked).

The power lines are clearly marked on here

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=360431&y=392304&z=120&sv=winwick&st=3&tl=Map+of+Winwick,+Warrington+[Town]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Mal

• RMweb Gold

I'm happy to be convinced it's Winwick - the pylons did have me convinced at first but the bridge and the apparent - but maybe it isn't ? - under bridge on what would be the Earlestown line doesn't fit and the date also doesn't appear to fit in with the photo of Warrington in March 1971 which has no sign of any wires. I know the wires were up by 09/1972 as there are photos of semaphores sticking out of the knitting and they all went in Sept 1972.

Another question- were Peaks used on services through Warrington in 1971 ?

• RMweb Gold

That's a nice easy lot

The top one, with the Hymek, is Frome North,

the next one down is Old Oak Common passenger yard with the 1930s amenity block on the left,

the one below that is Penzance (the only place where I haven't worked in this group of four pics),

the bottom one looks to be between Clink Road Jcn and Fairwood Jcn (between Frome and Westbury) and was taken before the previously posted one of the approach to Fairwood Jcn  Which suggests there is a whole sequence covering Frome (or further west?) to Westbury.

I'm happy to be convinced it's Winwick - the pylons did have me convinced at first but the bridge and the apparent - but maybe it isn't ? - under bridge on what would be the Earlestown line doesn't fit and the date also doesn't appear to fit in with the photo of Warrington in March 1971 which has no sign of any wires. I know the wires were up by 09/1972 as there are photos of semaphores sticking out of the knitting and they all went in Sept 1972.

Another question- were Peaks used on services through Warrington in 1971 ?

Peaks were used on North Wales to Manchester services, they were more common when there were through services using TP North stock. Anything south of Crewe I would have to leave to others to say if they were common.

In respect of my previous post (no pun) the posts for the electric overheads are there but there is no evidence of wires (and specifically tensioning weights). Therefore the lack of wires at Warrigton in 1971 would not necesarily mean that posts would have not been installered eatlier. From experience in the late 80's/early 90's doing track surveys for the MEE they did the plain line post sections long before they round to anything requireing headspans.

So the case for Winwick is:-

Topograph and Lanscape in the background

Power Lines

Seperation between lines.

Rail over road bridge with a 90' right turn before the second line

Road construction standard.

Peak

Uncertainties

Bridge fence

Changes in vegitation.

Illumination

Progress of electrification