Farish *00* GWE Suburban coaches

Fleetfoot Mike

• RMweb Premium

As far as I know they're thoroughly generic, with a nod in the direction of the LMS and not the slightest bit Western. They were sold in the liveries of all the Big Four without any variation in detail, as were the "main line" equivalents (which again were probably less unlike LMS designs than anything else). The new stuff by Airfix and Mainline blew them away and I can't remember seeing them since the late 70s.

They date from the mid to late '70s, though there are older versions going back to the 1950s that have metal bogies and a tin roof, but almost the same plastic bodyshells. They are not unlike LMS Period II non-corridor stock but a little short of scale. They could be used (in the old-fashioned split and splice way) to make older LMS style electric units.

Not really like anything GWR though.

Although generic the later ones, (non tin roof), are quite good coaches if well painted and detailed, but no specific prototype from the main companies. They look better as LMS/Southern than others.........

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

IIRC Farish cocked up the design on one side of one coach (the brake 3rd?) and all the door hinges/handles are on the wrong side - they made a similar error on one of their N scale printed-side Mk1s.

IMHO they would need a great deal of work to get them up to a reasonable standard, although I have seen some very nicely turned out in LMS livery and with new brass grab handles etc. which looked the part. The roof profile is possibly the biggest problem for LMS/LMR modellers, so I understand.

The main line coaches looked a bit Southern to me with Maunsell-ish higher windows on the corridor side. I think they were the subject of several rebuild/conversion magazine articles in the 70s.

As regards GWR, I agree with Flying Pig's post and the least said about the "LNER" versions the better!

IIRC Farish cocked up the design on one side of one coach (the brake 3rd?) and all the door hinges/handles are on the wrong side - they made a similar error on one of their N scale printed-side Mk1s.

IMHO they would need a great deal of work to get them up to a reasonable standard, although I have seen some very nicely turned out in LMS livery and with new brass grab handles etc. which looked the part. The roof profile is possibly the biggest problem for LMS/LMR modellers, so I understand.

The main line coaches looked a bit Southern to me with Maunsell-ish higher windows on the corridor side. I think they were the subject of several rebuild/conversion magazine articles in the 70s.

As regards GWR, I agree with Flying Pig's post and the least said about the "LNER" versions the better!

The corridor stock does have heavy Maunsell influence, though without the distinctive roof profile used on his coach and van designs. I've a few of the non-corridor coaches and they represent LMS types pretty well, although I think the bogies they ride on may be the SR 8' type. I've a pair of the original kit-form type with metal roofs which now use MJT bogies of the correct sort and have SEF glazing and roof vents added, whilst the remaining one is the later all-plastic type repainted as a 'quickie' project with flush glazing and new wheels but keeping the GF bogies. Not much work needed on the this coach to make a reasonable-looking model.

Edit: The GF coaches with metal parts also have pretty ropey "mushroom" buffers. I replaced these with Kenline LMS ones on my non-corridor stock and Modellers Mecca brass ovals on the one corridor specimen I own.

David

The mainline ones are basically southern designs, but at least in N with roofs that are more pre-group in style (and indeed re-used by some LNWR coach kits).

Does anyone know what the four wheelers are based upon - I've yet to find anything remotely similar in the real world.

Archived