Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

If it's taking you this amount of time Ken, I would probably get a year's worth of pleasure from such a kit - worth keeping in mind when my next birthday comes around.

Ha! i've not been putting in the hours at the WB I usually do. To many distractions, garden, new camcorder, noew large TV and sat set up, all taking time to learn and sort.

Anyway a good says work today. Almost there and ready for the usual good clean up of unwanted solder ect. It's gone together vey well. Very little fettling to get parts to sit right.

Here she so far.

post-150-127143181833.jpg

post-150-127143182693.jpg

It looks great Ken nice very nice.

Pete

Thanks Pete. The build is finished, at last. The balance weights will be added when I paint the chassis. It took a number of days but there in the end. I will not be priming it for a few days, I have a small tank loco I want to build first.

Here she is in all her glory. Not an Eastern fan but I am impressed with this prototype.

post-150-127161138326.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Just returned from a very nice week in Scarborough. Spent a full day at the NRM too. So it's back to the bench today and primed the A2 Peppercorn. So should have the final photos on here Tuesday. Also made a start on my Midland 1F 0-6-0T. This is the ex Oldbury model now in the Meteor range. Got the chassis up and running today. This is a very simple chassis, went tgether with no problemas at all. As usual I sprung the centre axle. I used Slater's plastic brake shoes bolted to the hangers. This has allowed the shoes to be very close to wheels. I drilled out the coupling rod holes on the pillar drill and were a perfect fit first time. I wish that happened evert time!

The completed chassis.

post-150-127231485198.jpg

:)

Morining all. Yesterdays work on my Midland 01F progresses, also managed to complete the A2 as well.

The 01 is assembling quite nicely but I am making replacement tank/bunker top beading as I feel the etched ones are way too narrow. Also adding the 'wood' reinforcement behind the buffer beam that is not addressed in the kit.

Here is the work so far.

post-150-12725246318.jpg

:) A very busy weekend, hardly had time to sit at the WB due to the Victorian Extravagnaza & Transport Festival here in Llandudno.

(I have to say the Extravagnza has evolved into just one big back to back fairground along the main street, the Transport Festival on the fields was still superb.)

Back to the WB, I have put the Midland 1F to one side as i have taken delivery of my Laurie Griffin 4-4-2 Adams Radial Tank (ex Shedmaster). I could not wait to start on this baby.

As Laurie states, this kit needs to be treated as an aid to scratch building only. Some of the construction is left to the builder to figure out how to build it and make the necessary parts to do that.

The castings are superb. I love the cast coupling & connecting rodsand cast tapered handrails fort he cab and tank fronts. I did dispense with the cast front & rear cylinder covers to make my own riveted type as on the prototype I am copying.

I decided to build this as an unsprung chassis and use the front bogie for additional pickups. (As she is four coupled this would not matter on my layout with eight wheel pickups anyway.)

I made the bogie as a radial unit as on the prototype.

With the trailing wheels, plus it being a longish wheel base, I decided to cutout square holes in the frames to allow making and fitting a swinging axle with limited swing to prevent the wheels touching the frames. The kit was designed to have axle bushes set into the frames as on the driving wheels. I thought that as the axle woulds have to be sprung it could easily ride over the rails on curves being such a long wheel base. I also teaked the rear end of the frames inwards 1.5mm to allow a little extra swing. The chassis will now easily negotiate just under 6' radius and Peco points.

The photo will show this swinging axle and a lot of lead to weight it which also is the limiter for the swing. This works very well for traversing the crossovers on the track. The front bogie has some hefty castings, those plus lead weights means that also does not need springs. The chassi runs smoothly through the crossovers with the need to add side springs to the bogie and has very little over throw that could have caused buffer locking. Not that is a problem with the Dingham couplings I use anyway.

Here are the photos of the completed chassis.

post-150-127300369994.jpg

post-150-127300370908.jpg

post-150-127300372152.jpg

post-150-127300373623.jpg

Looks like fun Ken I have a 4mm DJH version in build I must get back to it some time.

Pete

It is Pete. Even after building close to 500 locos over the past few decades I still have a big buzz opening the next kit. I love the challenges each one presents. My biggest problem is packing up to go the bed.

• Like 1

On with the Adams Radial. The body is not causing any problems and the etches are fitting together OK. There are no half etched location lines or slot and tabs (The cab front is the only one and you have to use that as a datum for the entire upper bodywork. The footplate curves took a lot of time to get them right and perfectly equal on both sides. A lot of teaking and set square work involved.

The only problem encountered so far, the tank top beading was too short. So I made replacements for the front halves, using a cutting disk to half etch them to match the rear halves.

I also added the drilled ventilation holes inner the cab front & rear. Also I made inner duplicate skins for the cab front & rear to sandwich the glazing to give a really neat finnish. This also allows the window beading to be added seperately for a neater finnish. The backhead will be attached to the inner skin and then detailed and painter before final fitting.

This is it so far toaday.

post-150-127309045339.jpg

post-150-127309046107.jpg

Always been a big fan of the Adams Radial, and this is looking lovely... will it be in LSWR green ?

JB.

Nah, it will be in the Col Stephens livery as on the EKR. Just like this:-

post-150-127313030132.jpg

Another tree wagoms completed today for Pen y Cwm. 1 x refigerated meat van (LNWR). 2 x beer vans (Ex LNWR). All from the Gladiator range. Lovely kits to make up. These are hand lettered, I think I need a bit of practice in that department!

Just arriving in Pen y Cwm.

post-150-1265384855609_thumb.jpg

Hi jazz,

Haven't been reading your thread for a while. Love those LNWR beer vans! Gotta get me a couple of those!

Mike

Hi jazz,

Haven't been reading your thread for a while. Love those LNWR beer vans! Gotta get me a couple of those!

Mike

Hi Mike. Yes I love the unusual & quirky locos & rolling stock. Those beer vans are so full of charactor.

Moving onto the Adams radial. I now have all the main build completed and is now ready for all those lovely brass castings. It's such a shame I have to paint the dome and chimnet, they the best brass castings I have ever seen.

Ready for detailing.

post-150-127326227114.jpg

That has got to be one of the pretiest engines around. Don't you just love it!!!!

Bob

Couldn't agree more Badger. I have completed the build and now in the throws of painting & lining. It will take a coulpe of weeks as I am hand lining and that will test my patience. I am being patient and waiting for each stage to harden before moving on to the next.

Maybe more mad than brave. Lining is NOT my favourite passtime. I have made a start by completeing the chassis, Fitted the DCC decoder and have been running her in today as well.

post-150-127352109247.jpg

Couldn't agree more Badger. I have completed the build and now in the throws of painting & lining. It will take a coulpe of weeks as I am hand lining and that will test my patience. I am being patient and waiting for each stage to harden before moving on to the next.

Hi Ken

like many others I watch your builds with interest as I normally pick up quite a few hints and tips frpom each build you do. Thank you for sharing.

What are you using to line the loco with; bow pen?

Kev

Hi Kev. Always pleased to pass on tips and help to all and sundry. Tip for this build, forget lining. Seriously, I am struggling with the lining. I have bow pen & and Bob Moores pen plus a very nice one similar to Bobs which I inherited from my sadly deceased painter. (I think Humbrol would flow better in the pens as recommended in Bob's instruction guild.)

I am not all happy with the quality of the lining I am acheiving. I have decided to strip the model and start again. I am doing some research to find the livery in 1930's on the EKR. The lining is much easier.

For now it;s on the shelf whilst I finish my 1F.