Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi Jeff.  No, not all, they ride very well.  This is the third DJH I have built over time and all have had no problem. The brake blocks do not short out either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, david.hill64 said:

I had forgotten that the big tenders had a coal pusher. 

They do that,  saves a lot of work shovelling the black stuff forward. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did say it would not be a quick build and it's proving right. I'm now ready to tackle the white metal stage of footplate and boiler/smoke box and fire box castings.

87942212_Britannialoco2-1.jpg.af2a2158faabd6f4f97d7e1fbcc5baf1.jpg

• Like 11

Best part of today progressing on the body. A fair amount of cleaning up of flash on the whit metal. Then numerous adjustments to get a reasonable fit. Drilling and tapping all the holes for attaching to the chassis and cab.  Now it's mainly down to all the numerous details to fit.

648124024_Britannialoco3-1.jpg.cf9b30d60e82a60f9b473e8e02325083.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Still not finished.  It took all day to get the chassis wheeled and motorised, notwithstanding actually get it running right.  Fitting the body was another issue. lots of adjustments and chopping to get the motor into the boiler.

Tomorrow will be track test day:wacko:

1447273137_Britannialoco8-1.jpg.5edb67f27837a8690195485118bda79c.jpg

638879072_Britannialoco9-1.jpg.2af7586801794572045eb12968b6f352.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Fitting the body to the frames is one part I never understand, no matter how many times you try them something always stops it fitting, that has nothing to do with the latest additions. Then when finally done, it all looks and works right. Give it a coat of paint. Nothing fits again, and it's all in parts that have been fine throughout the build.

Looks the part Ken. What's up next?

PS

Ken have you ever done a College Kit 2P. I've got one but no literature with it. 

Edited by N15class
Add PS
  • Agree 2

Hi Peter. I have the same problems at times. Usually on the likes of DJH kits. (They are bottom of my choice of kits).  Mostly I have very few problems on etched kits, only when I have an early one, say Gateneal and the likes.

I have not built the College kit or to my knowledge none of that range. Unless it was one under another name as frequently happens of course.

Whats next? A rest after this loco^_^.    Then I undecided,  maybe Warren Shephards 16xx pannier or the LMS turbine 4-6-2.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, david.hill64 said:

A whole month for a loco build! Are you slowing up Ken?

Ha. I did spend a week in Edinburgh and some work in the house. BUT, yes, age is a slowing down factor notwithstanding not an easy build.:rolleyes:

• Friendly/supportive 1

Enjoyed the short rest after Britannia building the Taff Vale Models GWR DD3 tank wagon I purchased at Telford.  A very nice break from locos.

Tomorrow will see it painted and lettered.

Next up will be the Warren Shephard Hawksworth 16xx Panmier with spark arrester chimney.

812634369_taffvaletankwagon1-1(1).jpg.cdd011073af3276f31ad5d941aab8779.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Simond said:

Nice, that.  Any comments on the kit or guidance for us lesser mortals in putting it together?

cheers

Simon

Well, it makes a nice looking wagon but does have it's faults.  Mine only had three axle springs and only eight rivets instead of the required sixteen needed for the axle box guide etches. (I raided my spares box for the missing ones.). Also the bump stops for the springs are not supplied.

Now, the assemble the 'cotton reel' to make the inner tank former you will need an appropriate short length of brass tube.  Making up the tank etches will require care alignments and keeping them tight to the 'cotton reel'. Even then the etches are a bit on the shot side.  My solution was to cut them at the base where it cannot be seen to achieve the correct joints on the tops using the rivets as the guide.

Now for the resin tank ends. The need quite a bit filing off them for a snug fit inside the tank ends.  Also a lot of sanding to make the fronts smooth.

You will need to make a T handle for the tank lid, not supplied. I used a small split pin and 20 tho wire.

Other than that the kit went together well. On the plus side also, the buffer housings are pre drilled and the axle boxes holes are a perfect fit for the Slater's axle bushes. A great help:good:

Edited by jazz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Almost done now. Just a bit more on the weathering adding some additional dirt and fitting the Dinghams.  I did not use the supplied tank top wheel, preferring my LW cast one from the scrap box.    Now for the 16xx pannier build.

1967189048_taffvaletankwagon3-1.jpg.280e7678be0a845fecc0c12b94142db6.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi. Having made a start on the 16xx loco, I discovered there was a missing etch.  A call to Warren and one is on it's way.  He was away for the w/end so in the meantime I decided to knock up one of my favourite Southern locos The Beattie Well tank. This will to keep the other one on my layout company.  Surprising how many differences there are in supposedly identical kits.  These will make turn out better as they will not be identical. 

I will post spot the difference photos when completed on the layout. (No prizes will be offered:))

1994551034_roxeybeattiewelltank1-1.jpg.b2f1db1ea6595331cfcee36e0549e170.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

OK.  The missing etch has finally arrived after being sent to the wrong address. So I'm now laying the Well Tank to one side and returning to the 16xx pannier.  Hoping to finish that for the last week on November.  That will be a push though. It being an early Shephard one with the strange way of  pasting a paper overlay on the etches to as a guide to the rivets.:(

• Like 1

Work contiuing on the Warren Shephard 16xx.   Not going very well so far. It's almost twenty years old and one of his early ones. (Thankfully his later  kits are much better. There are some weird ideas in the design.    I am not following his method at all.  The cab bunker arrangement is very different, I've extended the sides and narrowed the back to achieve the rounded corners.  Much easier to do than Warrens method.  The cab roof has been cut from the sides so the centre can be removed for painting.

I found the etched brass is of a hard type and even annealing it still makes bending very difficult. (Can't do much about.)

A lot of the etches do not fit and require a fair amount of fettling. (Again, later offerings are much improved in that area).

Rivets are a right pain requiring printed sheets attached to the etches and then riveted. Just about OK if the sheets are the same size as the etches, they required cutting to get then to fit properly.

Tomorrow it all starts again.

851952418_Warenshephard16xx1-1.jpg.da57c2cc90f1e2f8ed130130518d4914.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Moving slowly forward,  the body is nearing completion.  The next task is scratch building the s/box door hinges & brackets (not supplied), then attaching them to the door pressing.   That will require some work to get it to fit into the s/box front pressing.  Then  completing the tank top and the very basic cab interior, just the reverser and handbrake supplied. I have packed lead weight in the panniers as it would have been very light.

Tomorrow is another day.

94694946_Warenshephard16xx2-1.jpg.f3963fd98337f292fc69d70b34e25cd6.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Body is now built.  Sorry about the poor photo, the light was miserable. My excuse and I'm sticking to that.

The 'moonshine still' does ruin an otherwise Hawksworth beautiful creation.

I does need a really good clean up and solder removal prior to priming.  Now to finish the chassis. Quite a bit to do on that.

1440568471_Warenshephard16xx3-1.jpg.4ed855798694b944b03da53161fba2dd.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

2 hours ago, jazz said:

The 'moonshine still' does ruin an otherwise Hawksworth beautiful creation.

Not as much as the explosion the sparks would have started would have done!

have to agree, not the prettiest of chimneys!

atb

Simon

• Funny 1

Just about completed now.  Some minor tweaks to do on the body also I have a small tight spot on one of the rods after removing the wheels. Strange how everything free and smooth prior to disassembling :mellow:.

1745151191_Warenshephard16xx5-1.jpg.b16459799851d9d8cce1410d1e902cbf.jpg1185030118_Warenshephard16xx6-1.jpg.5989601fdfa1d90c36d9b875d3a0470e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

Finally got Beattie Well Tank 30585 running on the layout to join 30587 (Both to be found rubbing shoulders with the GWR in the Wadebridge areas circa 1950's)

Both are from the Roxey range. Being white metal are very heavy and excellent runners.

1561097836_beattie1-1.jpg.293a872012fc83cef155d8937b6fd7a0.jpg

Double heading out of Trenruth 30585 leading.

466260959_beattie2-1.jpg.0bdfa4eb23b0f8f31c113f7dee7ec2f5.jpg

587 is a bit cleaner then her sister loco. (The shed foreman will be having a word about that)

1700768896_beattie3-1.jpg.91ffae33902c3d1b3da63dd55679fde6.jpg

585 definitely requires a clean up. (Didn't stop the sunlight hitting the Bob the shovel in the chest)

beattie_4_-_1.jpg.5e81df6b3e5aee3acf6ea240704c8f45.jpg

Finally a look at both prior to departing.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 12