Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

1 hour ago, jdb82 said:

So due to the topsey-turvey way my mind works, I'm now wondering, if blown up etches from smaller scales don't work, could reduced etches from a larger scale work any better?

Having only built 2 kits myself (I keep promising myself I'll do more, but life gets i the way!), I'm not in much of a position to answer it myself!

I'm not sure how it would work out that way round.  I think any etched holes may be too small. That would be any easy fix though.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Ian Major said:

Nice work in deed.

Some of the holes look a bit on the large side to me.  Is this a case of a 7mm kit produced from a blown up 4mm one?

Ian.  

Talking to Jim a few years ago they were drawn for 7mm. I have got a Brit of his reduced to 4mm as did Horsetan (ex of this parish) sounds like it will be a challenge. 

If I recall correctly from Jim Snowdon's build, the errors in this kit were much more fundamental. These were the pre internet days when it was more difficult to check the accuracy of diagrams and the lack of a surviving prototype wouldn't have helped. Now of course it is very different and we have the 82045 as an amazing resource.

This is also, I suspect a hand drawn kit from a previous century when expectations were lower and it wasn't unknown for the draughtsman to take small liberties in order to stay within the confines of the available etch. As part of my ,82004 journey I discovered that the original Triang model was redrawn to fit an existing mechanism and is far from being dimensionally correct.

One day, three hours after I finally finish ,82004, Bachman will announce a RTR 3MT for around £500!

All very true doilum.  It harks back to my days of my hand drawn kits. Although they did go together much better than most.  I stopped producing kits not long before CAD became the norm then things did start to get much better.

I did have that problem with spending many hours scratch building a loco then find a kit is available weeks after completing it.  Oh hum, that's life.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 3

I think Jim Harris was more of an artist then an expert at technical drawing - he had the attitude that if it 'looks right it is right' - well that's partly true but it doesn't make his kits go together any better!

We've added some bits, and modifications etc and completely re-written instructions so that they could be understood - but I admit it is still not a good kit unfortunately.........

The Seven Models range started when my Brother brought the other BR Standards that Jim designed and he found that it was better to re-draw all of them (apart from the Standard 5) - perhaps we should have taken the same direction with the Standard 3 tank..

Jeff Ennis

Scorpio Models

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Hi Jeff.  Thanks for the post. Couldn't agree more with that.  I have built a few of the Seven Models and they were fine along with the other ranges in your portfolio.

I look forward to building more of them.

Regards, Ken

• Like 3

At last almost there with the build.  I have the buffers to tidy up and fit and Dingham couplings to fit.  Now the odd thing is, there is only one safety valve casting supplied in the kit (I did double check the parts list).  So just order a pair from Laurie Griffin.  Thankfully they can be fitted after painting which I should be able to do tomorrow.

Then I can concentrate on Geoffs models again.:)

415986094_BRstandardclass39-1.jpg.88627d76d9ccc479a4a5cee60dddd36b.jpg

1497755802_BRstandardclass310-1.jpg.038553c7f8272cb08662c3e31c39f360.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

The Class 3 all ready for the road.  Just very subtle weathering to complete it.  82007 was built in 1952 which makes it virtually straight from the shops as the layout is based on that period.

Now it's a couple of day finishing the J11 having got the painting on it done today. Then another one to do a small repair job on it due to a bit of a mishap. Following that I can carry on with building more kits.  Happy days:danced:

Having some replacement fencing across the rear garden next week. That will slow me down a bit, I forgot about that.

1532643500_BRstandardclass313-1.jpg.3a49cf5c0e71f1123620984bd23926e8.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

51 minutes ago, jazz said:

The Class 3 all ready for the road.  Just very subtle weathering to complete it.  82007 was built in 1952 which makes it virtually straight from the shops as the layout is based on that period.

Now it's a couple of day finishing the J11 having got the painting on it done today. Then another one to do a small repair job on it due to a bit of a mishap. Following that I can carry on with building more kits.  Happy days:danced:

Having some replacement fencing across the rear garden next week. That will slow me down a bit, I forgot about that.

1532643500_BRstandardclass313-1.jpg.3a49cf5c0e71f1123620984bd23926e8.jpg

Nicely finished. I think 82004 might end up similar. I don't love it enough for the expense and faff of a full Fox lining kit.

Doilum, It would look good though.  I have to admit, I have considered lining 82007 myself. I don't think I will though. Unless it is applied perfect it would spoil the finish. And I'm not an expert at lining out.

Edited by jazz

14 hours ago, jazz said:

Doilum, It would look good though.  I have to admit, I have considered lining 82007 myself. I don't think I will though. Unless it is applied perfect it would spoil the finish. And I'm not an expert at lining out.

I believe that Fox do a bespoke kit with one piece items for the tank sides and bunker. My experience with their bespoke A3 items was a challenge due to the flimsy nature of the very fine material despite using Decofix and Decosol. I got there in the end but was only 95% happy with my work. Although 82004 started in lined black I believe it may have finished in plain green. The black was a tribute to the Triang example that started this hobby circa 1962.

According to the RCTS 82004 was repainted from lined black to lined green in April1957 but, unusually and like 82003, with the old 'cycling lion' crest.  Further on it states "lined by 8/58" and "unlined large crest" by 8/62.  One photo shows 82004 in lined black dated 22/5/52 whilst another shows it in unlined green with the large size post 1956 crest on 17/3/62.

Ray.

6 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

According to the RCTS 82004 was repainted from lined black to lined green in April1957 but, unusually and like 82003, with the old 'cycling lion' crest.  Further on it states "lined by 8/58" and "unlined large crest" by 8/62.  One photo shows 82004 in lined black dated 22/5/52 whilst another shows it in unlined green with the large size post 1956 crest on 17/3/62.

Ray.

Thanks. My copy was out in the workshop so I couldn't check the dates.

• RMweb Gold
On 30/09/2020 at 17:39, jazz said:

LNWT Chopper tank.

Which kit are you building Ken, there are several out there now?

I have one on my to do list but haven't as yet decided which kit (and I've got a long to do list!).

Thanks

1 hour ago, Argos said:

Which kit are you building Ken, there are several out there now?

I have one on my to do list but haven't as yet decided which kit (and I've got a long to do list!).

Thanks

Hi. It's the Zero Zephyrs (a.b.s) one.   I may be doing my GWR 517 class next.  A  Mitchell Design kit now the motor/gearbox has arrived.  Then the Chopper will follow that.

• Thanks 1

Apologies for the Highjack Ken

Reply for Doilum re Fox Transfer packs.

In my experience the specific lining packs still need to be sliced up into manageable sections to make them fit correctly. I don't bother with them now and prefer to use the 'straight lining' and 'corner packs' to get a good fit for the particular loco.

Regards

Sandy

These were both done as per above.

DSCN4383.JPG.544959ef78674801d69d942df0aff19a.JPG

DSCN3854.JPG.a31448076353929b53ec75d27b3282f7.JPG

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Sandy Harper said:

Apologies for the Highjack Ken

Reply for Doilum re Fox Transfer packs.

In my experience the specific lining packs still need to be sliced up into manageable sections to make them fit correctly. I don't bother with them now and prefer to use the 'straight lining' and 'corner packs' to get a good fit for the particular loco.

Regards

Sandy

These were both done as per above.

DSCN4383.JPG.544959ef78674801d69d942df0aff19a.JPG

DSCN3854.JPG.a31448076353929b53ec75d27b3282f7.JPG

Yes I ended up cutting them but they still had a mind of the their own. Wish I could remember whose lining I used for Wild Swan about twenty years ago.

No problem there Sandy, always pleased to see your work.

Onwards with mine, it's the Mitchell Design from JLTRT stable.   Bought off the auction site. It's a delightful kit to build and will be  stable mate to my other one numbered 848. This one will have the Belpaire firebox and numbered 1162.

122299395_gwr517class.1-1.jpg.2e9fa00076563c54f216536134622e27.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2