Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

On 07/10/2020 at 18:50, jazz said:

Chugging along nicely.  All parts slotting together with minimum of fuss. A very well designed kit.  Because of the many variations to kit allows there is a lot scrap created. A shame so many nice etches are not required. 

As can be seen a thin spacer of plastikard is suggested to life the body to clear the wheels and bring the buffers to correct scale height. 

Quite enjoying this build.

1658885819_gwr517class.2-1.jpg.0a020a2c4f679f587a6e57a38e3af165.jpg

When you put the outer etches for the side tanks on do you sweat them all over or just run round the holes in the inner frame?

Do you  run any solder along the bottom to stop the bottom of the tank splaying out?

Lovely model

Steve

2 hours ago, S.D.L. said:

When you put the outer etches for the side tanks on do you sweat them all over or just run round the holes in the inner frame?

Do you  run any solder along the bottom to stop the bottom of the tank splaying out?

Lovely model

Steve

Hi Steve.   I do not sweat them.  I just run low melt along the edges and any holes that may be in the middle.   You have to be careful not to cause buckling of the half etch parts though. That's why I use low melt.  I quickly run the low melt along the bottom along the footplate and a small scratch brush to make a very clean joint.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, jazz said:

Hi Steve.   I do not sweat them.  I just run low melt along the edges and any holes that may be in the middle.   You have to be careful not to cause buckling of the half etch parts though. That's why I use low melt.  I quickly run the low melt along the bottom along the footplate and a small scratch brush to make a very clean joint.

Thanks for the Info.

Great thread I have just finished reading from the begining over the last week.

Steve

• Thanks 1

On 24/10/2020 at 16:17, jazz said:

I wonder where the crew would fit. (I have read though, the cab is a fair bit under scale length on the kit.)

No need to put the balance pipe covers in the cab openings, the 2-4-0 tanks never had them as the fillers were on top of the side tanks. Might give you a bit more room in the cab....

John

• Thanks 1

Just got the buffers and couplings to do and is ready for the clean up and will join the queue for the priming session (3 models to do in that). So by next w/end I should be on top of all that.  That's the plan anyway.

1743934130_chopper5-1.jpg.a26e6ff66142807efc7d9371a60e037a.jpg

791586473_chopper6-1.jpg.466e3cc7b863d4b1fbda514a72dfb79b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

two out of three primed this week. The Chopper will have to wait until next week. Hopefully the lousy weather will clear to allow that.

So the B3 and diesel brake tender is done.  I'm now starting the Vulcan Foundry 'Severn Bridge' tank for myself.

1977323936_paintedb31-1.jpg.8fa89c60129d12fde8ce50c3d39659d3.jpg

1383853429_paintedb32-1.jpg.c27e4679da06e18310ce28714df1f7ee.jpg

980722980_paintedb33-1.jpg.2f91fdc7f09d828bc4d313952d51db47.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, airnimal said:

Sorry I should have read John's post above before replying. He clearly states they weren't any balance pipes on the chopper tanks and had tank fillers on both sides.

Mike

Hi Mike.  Looks like more research required here. The kit only supplies one water filler.  As stated above there was no balance pipes  in the doorway on the 2-4-0 as there was no water tank under the coal bunker. I had assumed there might be one from one side of the loco across to the other tank.  Perhaps someone may have an answer to that.

Edited by jazz

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jazz said:

I had assumed there might be one from one side of the loco across to the other tank.

Hi Jazz,

There was a box section beam under the cab floor that ran underneath the back of the tanks, this contained a square section balance pipe between the tanks.

One filler feels wrong, but the drawings I have are split section so only show the detail for one side. Because they sit down behind the side sheet they are not visible in photos.

Edited by Argos
numpty moment

3 hours ago, Argos said:

Hi Jazz,

There was a box section beam under the cab floor that ran underneath the back of the tanks, this contained a square section balance pipe between the tanks.

One filler feels wrong, but the drawings I have are split section so only show the detail for one side. Because they sit down behind the side sheet they are not visible in photos.

Thanks Argos. That seems to be the case I think.  So I think it will be OK to have the one filler. Odd I guess but there are some stranger things in locos.

Edited by jazz

Severn Bridge is now under way, starting with the chassis. This is a Davis Andrews kit, so very familiar to build.

Powered by a Taff Vale Models 1833 & gearbox give a quiet and smooth operation.

966700809_vulcan1-1.jpg.b056833d6e29096f62e90b5f8c65831f.jpg

• Like 8

Yes I had already been looking at that build.  It looks very nice but still only another persons take on what is correct.

However, taking all the options of one or two fillers, I have decided it would look better with two and that's what I'm going to do.

In the meantime, progress is being made with Severn Bridge. A delightful kit to build as could be expected from David Andrews stable.

Everything a very good fit. Now back to browsing the 0 Gauge virtual show with some very envious layouts there.

910138415_vulcan2-1.jpg.e5c41a4b013db5cb20bc3e7810978d7e.jpg

• Like 7

Another spell this afternoon sorting out some GWR style detailing. As there is apparently no photographic evidence of her in it's short life with the GWR I can be a bit loose on what she actually had done to her.  (That's my excuse and I'm happy with that.)

So I changed the safety valves for the bonnet, changed the chimney, brake shoes from the wood ones, whistles  and tank fillers, so that's all the mods I'm doing on it. Oh and fitting GWR lamp irons.   (Ivor the shed is the foreman here and he decided to do these modest alterations on his own head.)

125389172_vulcan3-1.jpg.ce4f39c9011109c6e2294251621974b5.jpg

• Like 9

Ken,

I just checked my Vulcan kit Chopper Tank which I obtained in 1992 and built soon after. It came supplied with two filler caps both of which I fitted. If I am right the kit you have is a descendant of the Vulcan so I guess you had a short delivery on parts.  

I have not had any problems with its suspension. It seems to work well even though it is indeed a "4 legged stool".

I am enjoying your builds but it makes me feel tired trying to keep up!  :)

Ian. 

Edited by Ian Major

On 21/10/2020 at 18:45, Simond said:

it looks to me like your chopper has two compensation beams, and a fixed axle.  This is a recipe for potential frustration, as it will remain a “four legged stool”, whereas true compensation should always resolve to three points of contact (or legs on the stool).

Correct, but the considerable downside of 3-point in such a loco is that the lateral stability can be severely compromised. 4-point is a pragmatic solution. The theoretical deficiency of 4-point will manifest itself only with track twist.

• Agree 1

There is more than one way of skinning a cat!  

It’s true that a fixed axle and a single rocking beam does give a limited triangle in which the CoG must fall, but it’s also possible to have twin beams and a rocking axle, which will provide an alternative triangle which might suit some locos better.  My Springside 48xx uses that approach - big heavy cast w/m cab.

The big gain from “proper” compensation is getting all wheels on each side of the in contact with the track, thus ensuring best possible electrical collection.  This is a bit less of an issue if the loco has DCC and a keep-alive cap.  

Overall, I’m dubious that there Is a “considerable” issue with stability, I’ve only got one non compensated (or unsprung) loco, a Springside 45xx, the very first loco I built in 7mm, some 23 years ago, and I’ve just bought all the bits and pieces to sort it out!  None of the others have fallen over, yet!  (I’m not including the locos I built for the kids many years ago, a “Mavis” & a “Toby” both of which have RTR chassis.)

I recall that Ken is not a big fan of springing/compensation anyway, so I’ll leave it there.  Happy to discuss further on another thread - one of mine or one of yours! 

Keep well!

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, NeilHB said:

Lovely work Ken. 

Is this a recent kit of the Severn & Wye Vulcan loco kit? 

I doubt is a recent kit, no date on the etches or instructions.  I acquired it off Geoff and probably had it as a trade in maybe. It is a David Andrews kit and I suspect it's an early production of his.

Edited by jazz
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ken, I thought as much. I did try to persuade David to reintroduce both this one and the Fletcher Jennings S&W loco kits a few years ago, but no such luck. 

Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out. 

That's the Vulcan loco Severn Bridge (GWR 1354) ready for a good clean and paint job in GWR livery. She will soon be in service at Trenruth hauling the goods traffic up the branch.

The Chopper will have the finishing touches including the second tank filler in the cab tomorrow and will be made ready in primer for Geoff.

1476743244_vulcan4-1.jpg.51d9abb1761a217652e46bafca363409.jpg

872771159_vulcan5-1.jpg.c20784b8dcbe722210f3e1d4e7371bd4.jpg

1139681076_vulcan6-1.jpg.b084874c074c83389a75cc43f52f484d.jpg

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Ian Major said:

Ken,

I just checked my Vulcan kit Chopper Tank which I obtained in 1992 and built soon after. It came supplied with two filler caps both of which I fitted. If I am right the kit you have is a descendant of the Vulcan so I guess you had a short delivery on parts.  

I have not had any problems with its suspension. It seems to work well even though it is indeed a "4 legged stool".

I am enjoying your builds but it makes me feel tired trying to keep up!  :)

Ian. 

Hi Ian. Thanks for the post. I think I now have it all sorted.  I admit I spend a heck of a lot of time on the WB.

• Like 1

The chopper all done except for knocking up a set of balance weights. That's tomorrows job on it.

Note I have cobbled the second water filler. ;) The spectacle plates are polished brass, to be added after the painter has done his magic.

The 1154 will be done tomorrow, but I am waiting for the pre 1928 GWR paint to arrive from Squires, hopefully tomorrow.

592319620_chopperprimer1-1.jpg.6bdde7c2e2f31f6f607154d1ba64f16b.jpg

1793488795_chopperprimer2-1.jpg.bbf7c2c0d6d022369282fb3b6319bc6d.jpg

2119323488_chopperprimer3-1.jpg.f18eb42cd41b3dbe867343ea5433bb89.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1