Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

No doubt about it, Jims kits are a delight to build, even though some are designed by others I'm pretty sure Jim must do some tweaking to them.

The body is going together in fine style.

1218848418_4Fbody2-1.jpg.d81bd10f14b838032155cad40051c52c.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 11

Hi, I must apologise for this late reply to you advice.  Thank you and Simond for the considered reply about 4 foot 6inch radius and the lack of chance that  a GWR 30xx would negotiate such a radius.  I have looked again and there is little to be gained in narrowing the axle bush outer flanges- they are already  only about 25 thou.  So the way forward is I think build it as is but with a fully sprung shassis, see what it will go round.  If it is no go I will puchase another two axle sets and remove the flanges and see what happens replacing first the second set and if necessary the third set as well.  With luck I will have the best of both worlds a good scale model to look at and another with no flanges on the middle wheel sets that will get round the invisible toy curves.

We are in the Dee valley near Balmoral.  We needed to use the tractor to dig out the front of the house to get me to my covid Jab.  I then responded rather too well to the jab putting me in the chair in front of the fire for a couple of days.  My daughter, a doctor said this was really good.  "A really active immune response in an old man is quite unusual!" So always look on the bright side.... Take care and thanks again.

• Friendly/supportive 4

Sounds like you’re on the mend, and in good hands.  I trust there’s a dram of something relaxing within reach!

Personally, I would build it as the designer intended, and run it on the straight bits.  And, hopefully, when clubs can open again, you can take it and run it on club tracks or at meetings.  

I fear it will look very odd overhanging the small curves, and you’ll need to consider buffer locking & couplings too.  

either way, enjoy it!

atb

Simon

• Agree 1

At last a decent mild day with no gales, rain and bitterly cold. So finally got the twin tank wagon and the straw elevator primed plus the 4F which means that can be reassembled too.

1652180694_4Fbody5elevator1-1.jpg.09e0aea278725548a7c6f8382702edd3.jpg

1837974359_4Fbody5elevator2-1.jpg.725dfa699b02c1c980b4b423b15f19c8.jpg

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

On 15/02/2021 at 11:18, jazz said:

At last a decent mild day with no gales, rain and bitterly cold. So finally got the twin tank wagon and the straw elevator primed plus the 4F which means that can be reassembled too.

1652180694_4Fbody5elevator1-1.jpg.09e0aea278725548a7c6f8382702edd3.jpg

1837974359_4Fbody5elevator2-1.jpg.725dfa699b02c1c980b4b423b15f19c8.jpg

That straw elevator looks a stunning model, lovely job. Forgive my ignorance, but who sells kits for them please?

Look forward to seeing progress!

On 18/02/2021 at 23:24, burrell4040 said:

That straw elevator looks a stunning model, lovely job. Forgive my ignorance, but who sells kits for them please?

Look forward to seeing progress!

Hi That straw elevator is from Duncan Models.  Phone  01722 321041

Edited by jazz
  • Like 1

Hi all.  I've been busy building this ex George Norton 3130 Class. This particular one was supplied quite a while ago by Dragon Models.  So a bit of cleaning up of the etches before starting it.  It has gone together quite well. A few additions and alterations have been made from a basic kit.

The Shogun gearbox/Cannon motor was a very tight fit though.

I should be able to get the primer on it tomorrow.

521252936_3130class1-1.jpg.c1d6e51e32b7c1932ef143e96e41cf39.jpg

858637388_3130class2-1.jpg.17293df3ad7c24c75d0ac10491d52858.jpg

804659253_3130class3-1.jpg.165cb4b0c5a79c6dd3f2d97a5bad60fa.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 2 weeks later...

After a break to do some house chores, back on the WB this time building two Gladiator iron ore hopper wagons. Quite a lot of parts to cut out and rivet on such a small prototype. Look a lovely little wagon I think.

There's a lot of cleaning to do as it was a bit difficult not to get the solder running were it was not wanted.

702789374_ironorehopper1-1.jpg.512134d4d9b2597b55d4dd3c73010181.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

Deano, the first one was very tricky.  The second one a lot quicker as I was able to pick up short cuts in the build and knew where and how everything fitted.

• Like 1

Here we go with another one for my layout.  This is the Scorpio 1076 outside frame saddle tank.

Being used to building Scorpio kits I had thought this would be a bit of a doddle.  Not so, it's quite a complex kit with many optional versions in the kit. So having sorted out mine would be 1176 three panel tank with open cab a start is made on the chassis.

Being outside frame I will paint the chassis be completing the brake gear as I cannot see an easy way to get the wheels onto the axles.

I am not using the kit's compensation but have sprung the centre axle.  I will be using wiper pickups on this kit.  I modified the inside valve gear to allow the axle free vertical movement.

1833538740_1076saddletank1-1.jpg.4c101fd8b6fbe8a042f084205b78148f.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Onwards now with the body. The most tricky part was folding the bunker to get equal sides and a snug fit around the bunker sub floor. The corners were difficult with very thin 'fingers' to fill with solder. Gave up on that and soldered wider fingers and then flooded then with solder. Rather thick on the inside but will be hidden with coal.

949296302_1076saddletank2-1.jpg.4d637d17406237d1f739ae958073f08e.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hope it turns out OK Ken.

It was designed a long time ago now - my second loco kit - the first was the Buffalo Pannier with most parts in common with this kit.

It was designed with the old Slaters' 'push on' outside crank system in mind so I hope that they fit ok!

Thanks

Jeff

Scorpio Models

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Jeff.  It will all be good.  The Slater's wheels will fit very well, in fact better than the earlier push fit ones. The fly cranks are better too, not so thick as previous ones.  There will be a very small amount to remove off the the axle box guides on the frames to allow for the plastic fly crank. That's no problem at all.

Enjoying the build as the most difficult parts are now done.

Considering just how old the kit design is it's very good.

473431401_1076saddletank3-1.jpg.c338c0a2d650cb00ddbbf3a9e025b090.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

9 minutes ago, Scorpio7uk said:

Glad it's working out ok.

I meant to say last time, it looks like you've soldered the rear support for the roof to the front of the spectacle plate - it might be worth checking this before going any further.

Jeff

Yes I think you are right there. I have found the right one on the etches today,

OK. Ready to do a clean up and a very small amount of filling to do especially on the chimney base and dome base.

The photo of 1176 Im following does not have cab sheet so not sure whether to file off the brackets from the cab roof or just leave them.   Any opinions welcome.

There is plenty of room for the Slater's power plant and large flywheel.

1245867484_1076saddletank4-1.jpg.5827f961b0d8d27e67818b3425681ee4.jpg

940186761_1076saddletank5-1.jpg.880d3ef218747e49304d04139e8432db.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

Ken, I think we should have supplied an alternative 'plain' roof with this one!

As far as I can make out (and I can't remember what I worked out 23 years ago!)  there seems to be two systems of 'sheeting':-  the one with the hooks in the middle of the roof as I've drawn and the other, where it's attached to the back of the roof with some very small hooks - then hooked to the bunker.

This picture http://www.gwr.org.uk/pannier-pics/652-small.jpg  shows the hooks at the back which may be of use - it's on this page http://www.gwr.org.uk/nopanniers.html which actually has some good pictures of the sheeting

The picture I have seen of 1176 (in Russell's 'Pictorial record of GWR engines part 1 - figure 231) shows it with the sheet stowed on the back edge of the roof with no hooks visible on the roof itself.

With all that said - it is very difficult to see what it going on on the roof most of the time which is why I probably made the assumption that this is how it always was (never assume this!)

I'm waffling now - I wish I'd supplied a spare - I think it would be quicker to make a new roof than to try and file off the brackets.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, jazz said:

There is plenty of room for the Slater's power plant and large flywheel.

Why do they insist on "dishing/recessing" them? Whilst it does indeed concentrate the mass which remains further out towards the rim, it does so by reducing the total mass, which has a bigger impact on the rotational momentum. (Anyone who disagrees is welcome to work through the maths. The key thing is that a hollow flywheel has greater inertia than a solid one of the same maximum radius, if and only if they are of the same mass.) If the flywheel has enough mass already, it could simply be made thinner and solid.

• Agree 2