Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

652-cab-roof-hooks.jpg.fea373de2224615d290c06236ddaf8a2.jpg

A detail of the 652 pic, if it helps, showing the hooks on the underside and rear edging of the cab roof for the weathersheet. I think these would be very small even in 7mm.

There were variations in the placements of these hooks between classes, and this particular style relied on a significant rear overhang of the roof, which was perhaps not standard amongst most GWR open-cab tanks. Decent pictures are rare.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hi Jeff. Many thanks for all that info.  I have that Russel book and studied all the photos. I could not decide whether to have the hooks/sheet or not. I will sleep on it tonight and final decision in the morrow.

Removal of the brackets would be very simple for me to do, far easier that replacing the roof.

Thanks again, Ken

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Why do they insist on "dishing/recessing" them? Whilst it does indeed concentrate the mass which remains further out towards the rim, it does so by reducing the total mass, which has a bigger impact on the rotational momentum. (Anyone who disagrees is welcome to work through the maths. The key thing is that a hollow flywheel has greater inertia than a solid one of the same maximum radius, if and only if they are of the same mass.) If the flywheel has enough mass already, it could simply be made thinner and solid.

Good heavens, I always thought a flywheel was a flywheel. Very technical:unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

652-cab-roof-hooks.jpg.fea373de2224615d290c06236ddaf8a2.jpg

A detail of the 652 pic, if it helps, showing the hooks on the underside and rear edging of the cab roof for the weathersheet. I think these would be very small even in 7mm.

There were variations in the placements of these hooks between classes, and this particular style relied on a significant rear overhang of the roof, which was perhaps not standard amongst most GWR open-cab tanks. Decent pictures are rare.

Thanks Miss Prism. They are very small. I cannot say I've ever seen them in that position.  Still very interesting and thanks for the photo.

Managed to get the painting almost finished. There is still a fair bit to do on that.  Followed by adding the pickups/crew/coal/couplings and glazing.

That will get under way tomorrow.

879718871_1076saddletank6-1.jpg.2dbc994f97635af80ab6587fc07bfad2.jpg

As a footnote, I have been reading about Poppy's loco builder block.  So I decided to try one and I'm really impressed.  This is the first loco I have ever built that has not required a bit of easing of the coupling rods.  It will be interesting to see if the next loco, a Duchess Class, will be the same.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

5 hours ago, jazz said:

Poppy's loco builder block.

The loco is looking extremely good with a lick of paint now Ken, I don't think you regret using the builder block either. All of my builds are done using one and I haven't had any problems when building / quartering my chassis's.

G

• Agree 1

Ken, 

If I may, I had an old Underhill 2021 Class kit with resin body and running plate in my stock. Unfortunately the running plate had misshapen over time and I knew this when I purchased it. Being beyond use I decided to make a replica using plasticard cut out on my Silhouette cutter and with the brass chassis assembled on the Poppy unit once all of the elements were screwed together I found it to be extremely rigid. I have since picked up a resin boiler so I'm now tempted to use it to produce an outside frame as you have done.

1633413486_rearview.jpg.a230e36d42aea764f0e014483538f7a1.jpg

1619208203_Frontview.jpg.0b7262a436d80ed9733618840bdcf930.jpg

The chimney is a temporary fit as it will be replaced with a lost wax casting.

G

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 09/03/2021 at 18:05, jazz said:

The photo of 1176 Im following does not have cab sheet so not sure whether to file off the brackets from the cab roof or just leave them.   Any opinions welcome.

Get a different photo?

Dave

1893169506_1176atunknownlocF.MoorePC.jpg.4f6e94d26994305c0b0ba39af8d562e6.jpg

Edited by daifly
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, jazz said:

That looks really good. Hope you post a photo of the finished model for us all to see.

Thank you Ken, it may be a while but I will do as and when it is finished. Waiting for a few odd bits from suppliers.

G

Meant to add that the cast handrail on the cab will be cut off and replaced with a more suitable one plus some re-profiling of some of the resin pieces.

Edited by bgman
Addition note

I have a Scorpio Buffalo to build. The pics highlight something I'd wondered about - were there hornblocks on the outside frames, as the photo of 1176 suggests, or just a gap as per the model?  

Edited by dpgibbons

Yes I know about the hornblocks. The Slater's outside cranks are large and I had to open the sides of the hornblock  sides to clear them.  I am looking at what to do about them asI also want to be able to lift the body off without removing the wheels and brake gear.

That's just my preference^_^

Footnote: I have just figured out how I can achieve that little task. I will do it before the number plates arrive and she goes into service. In the meantime I have started the Duchess tender.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 2

A good start on the Duchess tender the past two days.  I probably will not finish it tomorrow as I will only be on the WB in the afternoon.

I'm not happy with the tool box door, will have to fix that. It does look worse than it really is in the photo.

When I've done the tender I will have a go at the hornblocks on the saddle tank.

628802565_duchessclass-1.jpg.255f4a2f0e32887b925a30d0aa395e25.jpg

725754834_duchessclass2-1.jpg.a93edb096f8eb9d1cac94a30144670d6.jpg

• Like 8

Took a while to complete the tender today. But got there in the end:dance_mini:

So tomorrow I will tackle the hornblocks  on the saddle tank before starting the Duchess loco.

2050396172_duchessclass3-1.jpg.d4ad80e785d21c69ae37ba7d57b5aa3f.jpg

495008539_duchessclass4-1.jpg.4eeb94e3ee2051e7434f53367cac4e47.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

The tender being completed I have now added the hornblocks to the 1076 class saddle tank.

Still waiting for the number plates, apparently they currently take 4 to 6 weeks.

1596847145_duchessclass41076class-1.jpg.a566fe99fc369fcc847e99b4b5d4f484.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Enjoyed having my 2nd Covid jab yesterday, so all set now until next years.  So onwards now with the Duchess chassis. Tomorrow will start the swingy bits etc.

All went well with Poppy's builder block and again made a nice square sweet running job with the coupling rods on.

1055222719_duchessclass5-1.jpg.a9d71bd6ff27c09b42a8dfafa433b7de.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Between planting a few bushes in the garden and other chores I had time to make progress on the body.

The cast firebox took quite a time to get a good fit. It's OK now I think.

1583392054_duchessclass8-1.jpg.8df291e1bd45a5a5738143bad0f22dcf.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

You must have a big garden! Double or single deckers? ;-)

That loco looks excellent and is coming on very well - I am awe of how fast you progress with these projects! 

:laugh:That obviously should read BUSHES:sarcastichand:   Years of practice building and developing quicker ways of assembly that usual in instructions is my answer to that.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

Messing about in the garden finishing off the revamp yesterday. Got on with the build most of today nursing an aching back:(.   So, thats all I'm doing on the build for a while as tomorrow starts the redecoration of the hall/stairs and landing. Not looking forward to that either.

On a brighter note, here is the Duchess well under way now.

491431466_duchessclass9-1.jpg.9591daad131e2fcb75cb03613e005170.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

That boiler is really clever. Is the cut out in it something you put on once its rolled?

Hi. The boiler has etched holes and lost wax castings to solder on from the rear. The boiler is pre rolled. the smoke box I not. That's why the s/box is so discoloured due to annealing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1