Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Work done on the body today.  I found the foot plate took a few tries to get all the bends correct.  I do have a second Teutonic to build straight after this effort. At least I will be able to address all the issues found with this one before using the soldering iron.

IMG_0006.JPG.526757281c8338fce665afa73c6b0b28.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Those suggestions were not my decision to make.   The very heavy weight that will be in the boiler will work just fine.

Nothing done on the WB today, we had visitors to entertain.

I stand corrected....have just discovered an old copy of MRJ No.26 which has an account of a scratchbuilt Teutonic by the late Geoff Holt. The drive is a single motor on the back axle , the motor appears to be of the small Buhlar type. Anyway Geoff states that the completed model would haul 9 bogie vehicles on the level and 8 up a grade of 1 in a 100......true Teutonic performance!

John

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Crewe North said:

I stand corrected....have just discovered an old copy of MRJ No.26 which has an account of a scratchbuilt Teutonic by the late Geoff Holt. The drive is a single motor on the back axle , the motor appears to be of the small Buhlar type. Anyway Geoff states that the completed model would haul 9 bogie vehicles on the level and 8 up a grade of 1 in a 100......true Teutonic performance!

John

That's what we are expecting out of this model. Plenty of weight should do the trick.

• Like 3

Getting on a bit with the body today.  Not a lot left to it now. I will need a fair amount of work with the files and a little filler here and there. It's not been an easy kit at all to build.  I hope the second Teutonic will be better.

I have fitted a substantial weight into the firebox which leaves a comfortable space below it for the motor.  I may be able to add a little more inside the cab splashers.

IMG_0007.JPG.bd6482409d94a478c0727c43ce087f90.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I would not even try that considering how tight everything is on the chassis. If you do try, I would be very interested to see how you get on.

• Like 1

When I built my ‘Greater Britain’ I used two MSC JH motors but when it was changed to DCC (the two big motors being too much for the average chip) I put in an ABC Offset motor and gear box with a Delrin drive.

31BBB0A3-66C0-4AD6-88C4-05FBCEACFD4A.jpeg.13507e74ec1b1d11807a102cbca7c4ab.jpeg

Only possible with no inside motion of course.

Ian R

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Yes Ian I know all about that, I was given an 1833 attached to a fold up gearbox, as explained earlier it leaves no space on the axle for a cog wheel.

A change of plan now. I'm putting the second Teutonic to one side as we are discussing the motor choice for this one.

In the meantime I'm now building this Mercian kit. Another one with part of the valve gear up through the foot plate. So having to decide the best way to allow the body to lift off the chassis.

No mention of that in the instructions. Plus no mention of the front body fixings to the chassis. That will be a relatively easy one to sort though.

IMG_0012.JPG.c83a688aff283b3012480ec6a37803fc.JPG

• Like 11

A bit more on the Bagnall.   Not a kit for beginners by a long way. Half on the backhead had to be scratch built as it protrudes well into the cab.  I will decde tomorrow whether to sort the chassis out regarding releasing it from the body and do the brake gear or carry on with the boiler/saddle tank.  It's all decisions:boast:

IMG_0013.JPG.d8bf6f4ba355682282a5f46143e561d0.JPG

• Like 14

11 hours ago, doilum said:

I think the footplate would remain part of the chassis with a semi permanent cab fixing and an easily removable tank/ boiler unit. It is an impressive beast but not one I have had reason to attempt!

I have sorted out the problem and it's just fine. Thanks for your input but I have made it a lot less completed and on use two 12BA very short screws to allow the body and footplate to part company. All will be revealed tomorrow.

• Like 1

as mentioned last night, this is what I decided to do. The dropper arm on the balance weight is held with 12BA screws. It works well.  They all need a bit of a polish though.

IMG_0014.JPG.95fd9b77c2fc0d7f5b102dc2fcd45151.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG.ff201078b9ec54e288b766424b4d9f01.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

considering I spent most of the morning hedge cutting I am pleased with the progress this afternoon.  I now have a good handle on the model so the rest should  be plain sailing. (Or is that now jinxed):unsure:

IMG_0016.JPG.09f79bc83907811c695372e9c5e5bb0f.JPG 

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

Rolling along nicely now. Down to the detailing having completed the chassis as far as I can prior to painting.

Strange that no leading brake gear exept for the brake shoes are suppled.  Looking at kits photo of the finished model non were fitted on that. So I made the missing parts and added them as per prototype photos.

IMG_0017.JPG.18c0523a77cdf8d25fc119d38b3e88da.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

IMG_0019.JPG.bd4c249b29f14809ae50871cf2cc4170.JPGWell that's just about it, I think. Tomorrow starts the stripping it down ready for the paint shop.

The only modification today was fitting the buffers. The etched holes were wat too large making them almost drop right through. Remedy we to use two sizes of brass tube soldered one inside the other ten solder them into the etched holes. That made the holes a perfect size for the buffers to fit into.

Here is the results of todays work.

+

IMG_0018.JPG.736c60f0693dedca6925de5d82ae2941.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 2

On 17/06/2021 at 19:03, PhilMortimer said:

Nice! I have one of these to build, so am looking forward to seeing how I do. Gotta be easier than the garratts!

Having built a Garret, I would say this kit has been worse. Only because it's a Mercian kit. The Agenoria Bagnall was much better to build.

Almost finished now. Some touching in of the black on the chassis.  Then sessions on the rolling road to fine tune her running.

Quite a tricky build for such a small loco.

(Must give the camera lens a clean with those spots showing)

IMG_0020.JPG.286a90a6ecebbd392d5a62a1a338af55.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5