The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Milkwall and Sling Branch

• RMweb Gold

Would anyone have a track plan for these locations?

I must say Fred Watkins engineering yard and surrounding buildings look interesting.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Mark - have a look at Page 90 of the OPC 'Illustrated History of the Forest of Dean Railways' by Peter Smith. Haven't got a functioning scanner thanks to 'Windows 7' at the moment, so unfortunately can't scan it in, but if you can find a copy of this now long out of print book, there is a plan of the Sling branch in there.

Fantastic!! Thanks, John, I have often wondered what the exact track layout was, as it's not easy to make out from photos.

Just to add some 'landmarks' to the two plans, top one is Milkwall station onthe Coleford line, with the first loop on the branch serving the Colour Works.

On the second plan the left-hand dock & short spur was known as the Sand Siding, & finally Fred Watkins on the right, interesting the plan shows the original tramway interchange as well.

By the final years 1964/5, the plan had been rationalised somewhat - chiefly removal of the loop at Milkwall, & disconnection of the first point at the Colour Works loop. There was a fair bit of gravity shunting done, it seems - the branch was on a rising gradient from Milkwall to Watkin's. That would make for some interesting modelling challenges!! ;)

I've long been fascinated by the Sling branch; it wouldn't need much compression to model in full in a good-size spare room or shed, in OO.

The National Library of Scotland, bless them, have covered this area at 25 inches to the mile, so you can see the whole line in context, as it appeared over a number of years.  The search engine didn't seem able to find Milkwall, but Coleford came up, and it isn't far to navigate from there.

• RMweb Gold

Mark - have a look at Page 90 of the OPC 'Illustrated History of the Forest of Dean Railways' by Peter Smith. Haven't got a functioning scanner thanks to 'Windows 7' at the moment, so unfortunately can't scan it in, but if you can find a copy of this now long out of print book, there is a plan of the Sling branch in there.

Thanks CK,

I'm after a good priced copy of this book. ;)

Mark

• RMweb Gold

This is the plan to which CK referred.

attachicon.gifSling.jpg

Thanks John ;)

Great stuff!

What an excellent plan for a layout.....

Neil Parkouse has a lot to answer for! :D

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic!! Thanks, John, I have often wondered what the exact track layout was, as it's not easy to make out from photos.

Just to add some 'landmarks' to the two plans, top one is Milkwall station onthe Coleford line, with the first loop on the branch serving the Colour Works.

On the second plan the left-hand dock & short spur was known as the Sand Siding, & finally Fred Watkins on the right, interesting the plan shows the original tramway interchange as well.

By the final years 1964/5, the plan had been rationalised somewhat - chiefly removal of the loop at Milkwall, & disconnection of the first point at the Colour Works loop. There was a fair bit of gravity shunting done, it seems - the branch was on a rising gradient from Milkwall to Watkin's. That would make for some interesting modelling challenges!! ;)

I've long been fascinated by the Sling branch; it wouldn't need much compression to model in full in a good-size spare room or shed, in OO.

Thanks F-Unit,

Totally agree with your ideas of a compressed version making a suitable layout.

The prototype information is good as well because as you say the photos don't give much away.

Cheers,

Mark

The National Library of Scotland, bless them, have covered this area at 25 inches to the mile, so you can see the whole line in context, as it appeared over a number of years.  The search engine didn't seem able to find Milkwall, but Coleford came up, and it isn't far to navigate from there.

Link to the maps at three different dates:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=14&lat=51.7880&lon=-2.6234&layers=64&b=1&point=51.7780,-2.6173

A subtle detail that distinguished it from a 'normal' branch :- as it originated as a tramroad route itself, it wasn't fenced in along it's route, or signalled.

I suppose that's part of it's appeal to me - it has much of the same character of what in the USA would be called a Short Line ;) (a term for independant Railroad companies, based on revenue, not mileage, although some are/were very short routes!)

• RMweb Premium

Until a fortnight ago I had never heard of the Sling branch but we had a very good talk about the railways of the Forest of Dean at our Club by one of our members who has started Drybrook Road in P4.    The Sling Branch featured in his talk and I agree it has great modelling potential.  Good luck with the project.

Jamie

Until a fortnight ago I had never heard of the Sling branch but we had a very good talk about the railways of the Forest of Dean at our Club by one of our members who has started Drybrook Road in P4.    The Sling Branch featured in his talk and I agree it has great modelling potential.  Good luck with the project.

Jamie

That'll be our mate 5050 of this Parish, then :yes: ...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106306-proposed-new-layout-in-the-forest/&do=findComment&comment=2136982

it wouldn't need much compression to model in full in a good-size spare room or shed, in OO.

Ian Pope did Milkwall and (part of) the Slings Branch in 7mm scale as Knockley Gate 2...  about ten years back,  before the current version of KG (KG-3 that is).

Lot of typos in this book, especially on the plans so be careful.

I was amazed to find that Haie Hill Tunnel  was on the line between Lydney and the Severn Bridge.............................. :no:

Also worthwhile looking out for a copy of the Cook signalling diagram book for the area.  Must have been very popular because the latest Black Dog Lightmoor catalogue shows it as out of print compared to the others in the series.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple of nice pictures here

http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Coleford/xMilkwallStation.htm - Milkwall station

http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Milkwall/Milkwall_Colour_Works.html - The colour works at Milkwall

The second photo of the Colour Works at Milkwall is really useful.  It also gives a 3D effect helping place photos more easily.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

The second photo of the Colour Works at Milkwall is really useful.  It also gives a 3D effect helping place photos more easily.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Mark

If it helps I have a few photos taken around the site in recent years. Obviously it has changed significantly, but quite a lot remains.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

If it helps I have a few photos taken around the site in recent years. Obviously it has changed significantly, but quite a lot remains.

Apologies Nick for the delay in replying to your post.

If the offer is still open I would very much like to see some recent photos of the site.

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies Nick for the delay in replying to your post.

If the offer is still open I would very much like to see some recent photos of the site.

Cheers,

Mark

My turn to apologise for the delay.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicks_railways/sets/72157624317260736/ has some from 2010 .  I'll stick some captions on them. Most are taken from the Gorsty Knoll side of the site.

• 3 months later...

I just found this interesting photograph of Milkwall:

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/GWR-and-BRW/GWR-pannier-tanks/i-zCXHfxB/A

(Or is it in the Neil Parkhouse book? I don't have a copy of it yet.)

Jelle Jan

That particular photo isn't in the book, although others taken around the same time - Aug. 1965 - are, maybe even the same train, as I only had a quick look through & didn't check details. It's a good overall view of the simplified track layout at Milkwall in the final months of operation.

That particular photo isn't in the book, although others taken around the same time - Aug. 1965 - are, maybe even the same train, as I only had a quick look through & didn't check details. It's a good overall view of the simplified track layout at Milkwall in the final months of operation.

On closer checking, the train photos in the book are from Weds 18th Aug. 1965, whereas the Mike Morant one linked to above is from 2 weeks earlier; Tues 3rd Aug '65.

It is, however, the same engine - 4698 ;)

Archived