SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

I am so pleased with the positive comments received about the magazine’s new-look design. Many of you took time from your day at The London Festival of Railway Modelling to visit the BRM stand, and tell us just what you like (and very occasionally, don’t like) about the magazine and its free DVD. Thank you – it was great to meet so many of you.

The April issue is a real cracker with a nice mix of layouts, practical articles and plenty of new product announcements and reviews. A detailed list of what’s inside this month’s magazine can be found below.

Remember, the cheapest way of receiving BRM each issue is to subscribe. Click here for our very best offers.

The BRM Team

post-14186-0-42098500-1458809987.jpg

FREE DVD for every reader

Trams at Grime Street

Phil Parker on effective airbrushing          

Highlights from the London Toy Fair

30+ minutes of quality model railways

The April 2016 issue is packed with great layouts, modelling ideas and projects to inspire you. Here's what you'll find in this month’s magazine:

Great layout articles:

Runswick Bay (O gauge, North Eastern Region 1900s)

Minories (EM gauge, BR Eastern Region 1970s)

Grime Street (OO gauge, Leeds 1950s)

Kineton Project Part 2: Baseboard Design

NEW! BRM Trackplan Archive!

Our new monthly series, offering a range of Trackplans for you to cut-out-and-keep. This month you’ll find:

Ashurst Brickworks (OO9)

Teeside Steel (O)

Waverley West (OO)

PRACTICAL BRM

Make a municipal park

Decoding DCC – Part Four

A wagon in every scale

Motorise a tramcar

Modernise a Hornby ‘73’

GOODS INWARDS – PRODUCT NEWS/REVIEWS        

A look at some new Gaugemaster launches

Bachmann’s 2016 Product Announcement

The latest product news

Heljan’s D0280 Falcon

Dapol HIA Limestone Hopper

Bachmann ‘Powerhaul’ Class 66

Peco Glyn Valley Coaches

PLUS

Vote in RMweb’s ‘Build a Locomotive’ Challenge

How to overcome eyesight problems

Event Diary

Tail Lamp

The April 2016 issue is packed with great layouts, modelling ideas and projects to inspire you. Here's what you'll find in this month’s magazine:

Great layout articles:

Runswick Bay (O gauge, North Eastern Region 1900s)

Minories (EM gauge, BR Eastern Region 1970s)

Grime Street (OO gauge, Leeds 1950s)

Kineton Project Part 2: Baseboard Design

If you would like to see Minories (GN) in the flesh, and are in the London area it is operating at The MRC's normal Thursday evening meetings on 31st March and 14th April between 7 and 9pm - visitors are welcome - and it is returning to the 60th West Essex Modelrail show in Romford on 23rd/24th April.

We have several more confirmed exhibitions later this year - details on the layout page and updates via Twitter @MinoriesLayout

Tom

Runswick Bay, Have not seen that for years. I am right in thinking that is the circular layout built quite a while back, or did Keighley do something similar before.

A friend has also told me there is something about my 3D printed inset track, so I will be buying a copy. Might explain why advertising person asked if I wanted to put my advert in magazine again.

Just a pity it still comes in a plastic wrapper(not very eco friendly given plastic bags are discouraged), as I may not have known what was in magazine had I not bee told today.

Just a pity it still comes in a plastic wrapper(not very eco friendly given plastic bags are discouraged), as I may not have known what was in magazine had I not bee told today.

The contents were listed in the OP of this thread - that might have also been a clue.

G.

contents lists online are ok for those who go online. Not everyone who potentially buys a magazine goes online.

Just had another look, but it does not actually mention my track . I am assuming my friend is not mistaken, but it might have been nice to have had an email saying there was something. Strange thing is that I tend to then tell others about that and others might then bu the magazine.

It is a thorny issue, but I know that quite a few people like to be able to see before they actually buy a magazine. It is impossible to know how many don't buy because they can't have a quick look before. Some people do abuse this, but the hobby has to be as open as possible. Not sure if anyone has researched it, but advertisers might prefer a magazine that can be viewed first. Might not increase magazine sales, but advertisers would be getting more potential viewers/customers, so are more willing to pay for adverts.

As one shop says, 'Ever little bit helps'.

contents lists online are ok for those who go online. Not everyone who potentially buys a magazine goes online.

The cover also gives a fair contents listing; mentioning that there's three layouts, track plans, the various practical articles and that there's news of the new Bachmann range and Dapol and Heljan info inside, plus it's very obvious that a DVD is included and the cover of that mentions it's contents.

But to be quite honest the issue of bagging (or not) has been done to death on RMweb. Apparently bagging doesn't cause poor sales (it's been reported that it actually increases sales), it helps keep inserts and freebies like DVDs together, and there are some who like a nice clean copy of the mag that hasn't been previously thumbed through and made grubby and worn.

G. 

• RMweb Premium

Just out of interest is there anyone else on here who doesn't look at the dvd?

Ed

I enjoy them, and while I wouldn't say it's my reason for buying the mag, there has to be something in it of interest first, the fact that there is a DVD is a contributory factor in my purchasing decision.

Have to say based on contents this one seems not quite my thing , but I might buy it on basis of last two editions have been very good. Of course had it not been in a bag I could browse it first.

Just had another look, but it does not actually mention my track . I am assuming my friend is not mistaken, but it might have been nice to have had an email saying there was something. Strange thing is that I tend to then tell others about that and others might then bu the magazine.

It is a thorny issue, but I know that quite a few people like to be able to see before they actually buy a magazine. It is impossible to know how many don't buy because they can't have a quick look before. Some people do abuse this, but the hobby has to be as open as possible. Not sure if anyone has researched it, but advertisers might prefer a magazine that can be viewed first. Might not increase magazine sales, but advertisers would be getting more potential viewers/customers, so are more willing to pay for adverts.

There is a short panel at the end of Phil's practical article covering inlaid track which mentions your products and gives a website link - that wouldn't merit a mention in the Contents page.

We simply would not have time to notify (and subsequently discuss) every manufacturer where a product is covered within the news, reviews and information within articles.

Just out of interest is there anyone else on here who doesn't look at the dvd?

Ed

The DVD does not add anything to my enjoyment of the printed magazine. I would happily do without it to have a lower cover price. I like the revised format of the printed magazine. I had been looking forward to the Class 73 article, fine as far as it goes, but how does the driver get aboard?

• Administrators

It also says, "Put your magazine in a plastic bag or we won't stock it." As has been explained before, bagging is often a requirement of the retailer and there's nothing the magazine can do about it.

In the US, it's been known for magazines to have to gain approval from Walmart for the cover content every month before it can go on the shelves and they have demanded changes. Heaven help us if they get a railway enthusiast on the board - "Put more S gauge on there!" or "Less blue diesels" :-)

The stock at Smitths nearest to me wasn't bagged today , DVD was glued to front cover  !!.

Nice to see mine and the other Locos in the Loco Challenge in print too, wished I had done some pictures now !!

If you want a copy Tesco"s had them in bags with a free Traction Magazine in the bag and the DVD too .

I was pleased to see no plastic bag. Given the publicity over shops not giving out free plastic bags , and saying it was for environmental reasons(I do have other theories, but accept eco argument is acceptable as long as other plastic packaging is reduced), then it follows that plastic wrappers for magazines should be banned, unless someone has found a way of using then to glaze model windows!

Interesting comment about Walmart, especially as my local ASDA has stopped selling BRM, but still stock other 3 main UK titles. They seem to stock a mixture of open and bagged copies.

I am not very keen on the idea of including another free magazine, quite often an older edition, as I suspect in some cases it is an attempt to get rid of old stock and reduce cost to get recycle, but at the eco expense of a plastic wrapper.

Having been involved in recycling work, including plastic, I do know of ways to use plastic bags and wrapping, but I prefer to put my creative time into other things at the moment.

That actually gives me an idea for a modelling challenge, to use only the materials that come with our models and magazines. Glue and paint would be only additional items which could be used, but only to add to not take over the model. It is not as difficult as some might think, but then I have been using recycled materials as part of my models for years!

I am not very keen on the idea of including another free magazine, quite often an older edition, as I suspect in some cases it is an attempt to get rid of old stock and reduce cost to get recycle, 

Our offer of BRM and Traction Magazine in some outlets (using current issues of both magazines) is to hopefully interest future readers in some of our other titles.

• RMweb Gold

In the US, it's been known for magazines to have to gain approval from Walmart for the cover content every month before it can go on the shelves and they have demanded changes. Heaven help us if they get a railway enthusiast on the board - "Put more S gauge on there!" or "Less blue diesels" :-)

More blue diesels - lots more electrics - definitely more trams (especially of the articulated variety, with Jacobs bogies) - and usable elevation drawings of all of them - and I'm certain it would gain my approval.

Seriously though, I could imagine why Walmart (and a number of other places, for that matter) might wish to veto the front pages of certain "top shelf magazines" - I wouldn't mind if some places were also to completely veto certain of these, less than reputable, publications and refuse to stock them.

However, I can't see too many shops, or too many morality campaigners, being unduly worried at the prospect of a magazine featuring loads of explicit photos of "hot, steamy, Pannier tanks" - or talk of "EMU action, with sparks flying".

To be honest, I can't imagine many people being too outraged - too scared - at the prospect of magazines devoted to modelmaking (especially railway modelmaking). Well, I can't, unless they're trying to get everyone interested in the latest dystopian, zombie blasting, "throw 'em up" not-so-smart-phone game (in-app purchases not optional, if you're really desperate to get to the second level).

Joking aside, some people (and some retailers) like "mags in bags" - some don't - but, if retailers refuse to sell unbagged magazines, there isn't exactly a lot that we can do about it.

However, if magazine publishers can use this as a means of interesting people in reading other magazines from their portfolio, then I've got no issue with that.

Huw.

One of the titles I subscribe to is Continental Modeller, and that might be a title given to something totally different! Sometimes interesting to see what comes up on Ebay and Google searches when you include the word 'model' or 'modeller'.

These days it is so easy to upset some people, and these people are more likely to complain. Imagine a cover picture with some sort of accident or controversial event  included in picture, possibly only in background, yet there are many magazines for activities which might upset some people.

One of the titles I subscribe to is Continental Modeller, and that might be a title given to something totally different! Sometimes interesting to see what comes up on Ebay and Google searches when you include the word 'model' or 'modeller'.

These days it is so easy to upset some people, and these people are more likely to complain. Imagine a cover picture with some sort of accident or controversial event  included in picture, possibly only in background, yet there are many magazines for activities which might upset some people.

But as we all know 'continental modeller' is a model railway magazine, and knowing Peco I couldn't imagine CM or RM having anything on the cover that could be considered even mildly offensive or rendolent of typical top shelf titillation titles.

As Huw infers, there is zero chance of railway modeling mags being censored or told to change cover pictures. That is simply just silly scare mongering, or, . . . hold it, today is one four, perhaps you meant it as a joke.

G

• RMweb Gold

I'd imagine that some of our American friends might get some interesting results if they were to enter the words "Big Boy" into a search engine.

They know it's a steam loco - we know it's a steam loco - but I dread to think what some of the web search "bots" might throw up.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

I'd imagine that some of our American friends might get some interesting results if they were to enter the words "Big Boy" into a search engine.

They know it's a steam loco - we know it's a steam loco - but I dread to think what some of the web search "bots" might throw up.

Huw.

Might depend on what you otherwise look for - for amusement I tried it in Google and got mainly pics of railway engines and some US cafeteria chain.  Putting in BRM brings up lots of pics of racing cars - proper racing cars without all those silly wings.

Archived