Peco & Piko

rab

I've always pronounced Peco with a Pea as in Pritchard and Piko as pie but now wonder about the latter.

I'm sure Piko should be pounced Pee-koh, with a short "ee".

On the other hand, in many European languages, Peco would be pronounced Peh-koh, with "eh" as in pay.

Edited by Oakydoke

I always assumed Peco was 'P Co' as it's the Pritchard Patent Product co, the clue's in the name. :jester:

John P

Pritchard  Patent Product  Company  founded  I  think  by  Mr  SC  Pritchard  in  Devon  in  the  50s,  PECO  name  derived  from  his  name,

Much the  same  way  that  Dapol  was  derived  from  the  founders  DAvid   & POLly  Boyle,    Many  pronounce  that  name  with   'A' as in  cAt,  David  himself  once  told  me  that  the  correct pronunciation  was  with  the  'A'  as in  David....sorry  I  digress 

I'm sure Piko should be pounced Pee-koh, with a short "ee".

On the other hand, in many European languages, Peco would be pronounced Peh-koh, with "eh" as in pay.

Which apparently is also how the Pecos River in N. America is pronounced.

Anyway Peco is the registered trademark of the Pritchard Patent Product Co. Ltd. founded in 1946 and comes from the three Ps in the company name so I'll stick with Pee-koh. I'm sure I've generally heard it pronounced that way in France (and they even mangle letters in the International Civil Aviation Organisation phonetic alphabet)

Why on earth would Peco want to rebrand itself?  It's a very succesful international brand whose products enjoy a good reputation and it was founded three years before Piko was set up (originally as Pico) by request of the Russian army in the Soviet occupation zone of Germany just as that was being rebranded as the DDR. .

It is true that between 1949 and 1961 Peco used a 3P's monogram before adopting their current logo of ther nane in whilte letters on a dark background but their products were always referred to as Peco.

Pritchard used Peco as a product brand from the start (though using the company's full name to identify itself) with the first advert for Peco-Way inviting "trade enquiries only" in September 1946 and Peco-Insulaxles "2 rail electric conversion made easy" for both 16.5mm & 18mm gauge in February 1947.. Insulaxles were credited by Michael Longridge in MRC 18months later as having "probably done more to foster OO two rail operation than any other product". 

There were clearly early problems with Peco-Way track as in April 1947 ERG were advertising "Peco dead scale OO third rail chairs... .though Peco-Way is still unavoidably delayed."but whether that was down to manufacturing or the supply problems rife in the early post war period isn't reported.

It wasn't until November 1947 that Peco started advertising Individulay. By April 1948 they were advertising both Peco-Way and Peco-Individulay for both standard (16.5mm gaugr) and scale (18mm gauge) OO though both products had been covered four months earlier in MRC's January 1948 "survey of Gauge OO tracks" also by Michael Longridge. Both products used the same bullhead rail and chairs into which the rail could be pressed along with prefabricated frogs and wing rails ec. but in June 1949 Peco introduced "Flat Bottom Rail Section in anticipation of its standardisation on British Railways".

BTW, I was wrong about Piko's manufacturing. Although they do manufacture G-scale and H0 "classic" at their headquarters in Sonneberg (Thüringen) they also have their own factory in China that produces their other H0, N & TT ranges .

Edited by Pacific231G

...... (and they even mangle letters in the international phonetic alphabet)

I just had a look at the Wikipedia entry for the International Phonetic Alphabet.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet

Bl**dy Nora !!

That all looks Greek to me........................or rather, Double Dutch.......errrr I mean it's all Irish.............   :O  :scratchhead:  :dontknow:  :unsure:

• Like 1

I just had a look at the Wikipedia entry for the International Phonetic Alphabet.....

Bl**dy Nora !!

That all looks Greek to me........................or rather, Double Dutch.......errrr I mean it's all Irish.............   :O  :scratchhead:  :dontknow:  :unsure:

Yes, I'm always mixing up my 'voiceless alveolar affricates' and my 'voiced alveolo-palatal affricates' too......................... :mail:

Bl**dy Nora !!

That all looks Greek to me........................or rather, Double Dutch.......errrr I mean it's all Irish.............   :O  :scratchhead:  :dontknow:  :unsure:.

My thoughts entirely. It proved to be of very little help when I wanted guidance on Irish Gaelic pronunciation.....  :scratchhead:

Bl**dy Nora !!

Oops.I was of course referring to the International Civil Aviation Organisation Phonetic Alphabet (Alfa, Bravo, Charlie...Zulu) but everyone seems to call it the International Phonetic Alphabet. Its original version was the NATO Phonetic or Spelling Alphabet but it was developed into a more universal system by the ICAO inthe 1950s.

The French have a habit of pronouncing  Alfa (AL fah) as OL fah and Yankee (YANG kee) as Yonkee though we tend to pronounce Quebec (KEH BECK) as KWEH BECK.

(I'd still like to get my hands on whoever decided that Millibars were to be changed to Hectopascals)

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Here in Germany, Piko is pronounced "pEE-kaw". I write 'aw' for the 'o' because that's the closest you can get in English to a pure 'o' vowel sound; no hint of the English 'oh' glide. Peco is hardly ever pronounce at all, as it is not that well known here, but when it is pronounced, the 'e' is lower than in Piko. I usually specify "Britisches Peco" just to be sure.

I am surprised to hear that in Britain, Piko is prounounced 'pie-kow' - it sounds just awful. But I shouldn't be surprised, after all, I have heard Brits pronouncing Ikea with an 'ie' sound instead of the continental short high 'ee' before the 'k'.

As for Bachmann - pronounced here as it is spelled, with a short 'uh'-sound for the a's, and a German 'ch' like Scottish 'loch' - I suppose the English pronounciation 'bakman' with the 'a' as in 'back' is the closest it's going to get. American pronounce it with the special long 'AAhhh' sound they reserve for German and French names, like 'AAhhhndre' and 'HAAhhhmbrrg'.

• RMweb Premium

Talking of mispronunciations there was a Company in Tyseley, Birmingham, which was visited as part of my job, that had a trading name which was derived from two names which began with B & Y (Berkeley & Young) and proudly set in mosaic in the entrance doorway was the company's trade mark name BeanwY which most of us pronounced Bee - an - why,

However one chap insisted on calling it Been - Wee!

(It went bust in 1985)

Keith

• 4 years later...

For what it's worth, USA  (California) pronunciations when ordering in a local hobby shop/train store or narrating a YouTube video on track laying are "Pay Co" (as in PayPal) for Peco and "Pie Co" for Piko.