RAL 3003 Ruby Red

JeremyC

I'm currently building a model of a German narrow gauge rail car. The livery colour is RAL 3003 'Rubinrot'. Can anyone recommend a supplier of a suitable paint or an equivalent from one of the ranges readily available in UK.

Thanks

Perhaps slightly off topic, and not wishing to be a doom monger, be wary of using the exact same colour as in my experience it just does not look at night on a model.

There is lots of discussion about this on RMWeb and other forums about scale colour. Also you would have to use the same primers and undercoats as the real thing.

All red paints are difficult to apply, due to the small pigment particle size, if a dense red is expected.

Not wanting to dampen your enthusiasm, just to make you aware that using the exact RAL colour may not give you the results you hope for.

Good luck, please post your results?

Try this site http://scalemodeldb.com/paint one of the pages offers suggested matches to RAL numbers.

Hope this helps, love to see the results when its done.

Nick

Thanks Nick,

Not studied your link in detail, yet, but it is well and truly bookmarked.

Not seen anything like that before.

Rgds,

I'm currently building a model of a German narrow gauge rail car. The livery colour is RAL 3003 'Rubinrot'. Can anyone recommend a supplier of a suitable paint or an equivalent from one of the ranges readily available in UK.

Thanks

If you're happy to use RAL 3003 on your model, Halfords should be able to fill you a rattle can with this colour.

If they can't, your local motor factors certainly will do so.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Here you are - paints4u mix all sorts up, (they mixed for me the Swiss Federal Railways green which is an NCS colour).

Link to the selection page

Keep the year as it is, and choose RAL from list 2.

If you want to search on colour as well you'll need 'rot' not 'red', but choosing 'search' without anything in boxes 3 or 4 will give you the full list.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Archived