Revolution to produce PFA/KFA container flat in N

Revolution Ben

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry for being a bit late to the party but I have just bought my first PFAs for use as Wiggins Teape reeled paper carriers and will also be getting some more for Alcan aluminium ingot traffic.

Am I correct in thinking that these are standard PFA/KFA wagons fitted with a pre fabricated flatbed unit on which either the paper or aluminium ingots sit ?

I can find lots of images of them with loads on but only glimpses behind locos or distant views across Glens of them unloaded. I know that they feature on some of the Telerail dvds being loaded but iIRC the film is taken at loading platform level and the whole wagon is difficult to see, most of the images on Paul Bartlett's site show empty PFAs in use for container traffic without a flatbed. I would like to make them as reasonably accurate as possible if anyone can offer any more information.

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Which of the various KFA/PFA types available are best suited to the Greater Manchester binliner services from 2000-ish?  

None seem a great match to the photos on https://paul3715.tripod.com/binliner.htm, I think mainly due to the handbrake wheel.  I don't mind some modifications to make one of the Revolution types more accurate, but I don't know which one is best to start with.

Thanks,

Carl.

• 11 months later...

Ok so went to Doncaster show yesterday and picked up some Hunt N gauge couplings to use on my container wagons and the KFAs are having some issues with their close coupling mechs on tighter corners, they’ll move over to the side but then get stuck so that the spring that centres them actually pushes them out to either side and won’t centre. Anyone have a fix?

• Like 1