Direct Rail Services Blue

Hi folks, 

Currently in the middle of an Airfix BSO to DBSO conversion and I am attempting to model DRS's 9705. Does anyone know where I can source the DRS 'Oxford Blue' in a rattle can? I use Plastikote or Halfords paint for my other models however no one seems to offer an option that's not too expensive for a tin of spray paint.

Any advice would be great!

Cheers,

James

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Mick, I see an airbrush being a good investment soon!

James

Just like the real thing used to do an aerosol can but believe the range may well be disbanded now.

If you don't have an airbrush it's pretty easy to get a custom aerosol made up as long as you have the required paint code, handily provided by Mick above

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

I'm slightly colour blind and have trouble distinguishing some shades of colour, however today whilst in Halfords buying wiper blades I noticed a rattle can of Ford Balliol Blue, which Mrs KDG thought was close to DRS blue. It's an heritage colour but widely available. We compared it with an image of 37422 on my phone.

Anyone else think it's close enough to DRS Oxford blue or am I way off here? I know Humbrol do an Oxford blue which is spot on, and Railmatch do DRS blue, but I don't have an airbrush and for me brush painting doesn't give me consistent enough results to have a go at painting a rake of mk2f's.

• 2 weeks later...

So this evening I sprayed up a mark2 coach with the Halfords Ford Balliol Blue over the top of grey primer as recommended.

Its not even close to DRS Oxford Blue. Far too blue.

The quest continues.....

Thanks for the reply Eric.

I have done just that. Trouble is that one manufacturers Oxford Blue is not necessarily tha same shade as DRS Oxford Blue and neither do the colour swatches in the literature or on the lid of the tin / can match the actual colour of the paint in the container.

Hence my so far unsuccesful experimentation with Halfords colours as they are readily available without mail order and give consistently good enough results.

Ford Royal Blue, and Isis Blue don't match either.

Even though I have colour perception issues, close is not good enough.

I'm very happy to accept recommendations from others who have found a specific paint shade that matches which is after all the point of this thread.

Please find attached pic of 2 spare FO's I've trial painted. Top one is Halfords Ford Isis Blue from aerosol. Bottom one brush painted with Humbrol 104 and gloss varnish. Excuse the technique these were quick jobs to weigh up colours.

• 1 year later...

Thread necromancy time.....but this forum is about sharing information.

Jack 374 of this parish has achieved good looking results using Halfords Renault Royal Blue from a rattle can on a DRS class 37.  Good work Jack.

Hope this helps

7 hours ago, michaelp said:

The Humbrol colour looks like a very good match to me.

Hi Michaelp thanks for the reply.

Yes agreed the humbrol colour is a perfect match.

The point was trying to find a rattle can match for those, like me, who can't or don't want to use an airbrush to get a spray finish.  I'm not skilled enough to get the finish I'm after with humbrol brushed on either.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for posting Neil, the coach looks fine, Humbol 104 is the perfect match to DRS Oxford Blue.

I can't get good enough results with Humbrol tinlets as I don't have an airbrush, and I'm not skilled enough to brush paint.

I now have a can of Halfords Renault Royal Blue to experiment with when I get time, as recommended by Jack 374.